Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Rear Wiper Replacement

28K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  danx55 
#1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone know how to replace the rear wiper blade? I don't want to break the thing and I can't see any videos on YouTube.

Thanks

#8 ·
Hi,

To all looking for information on changing the rear wiper blade, I hope this helps.

When you lift the arm off the screen, it comes up a couple of inches and then meets resistance. Continue to lift (I did this with two hands, one at the end and the other near the hinge point). The arm will continue to swing up. You don't need a great deal of effort, just some to overcome that initial resistance.

Once the arm has lifted, you can rotate the wiper blade assembly 90 degrees, and remove and attach the new blade. Then just lower back to the screen. Took about 2 minutes.

Halfords don't (currently) stock a replacement, but I got a Bosch H253 blade which is an exact replacement on amazon for just over £7 (which is cheaper than halfords generic blades as it turns out). Ebay was cheaper, but slower delivery.

Vauxhall wanted £24 to do it at the service btw!

Hope this helps - I was worried I was going to break the arm before I tried it!

#9 ·
Yes, just pull the arm up. Press the little squares in and slide it it off and then slide the new one on.

Bosch H253 I think it the usual replacement, but, like a few others on here, I replaced mine with the H311 which is the Astra J rear wiper. Fits exactly the same as the H253 but gives a bigger wiping area.

#10 ·
Vauxhall parts dept charged me £13.99 for the genuine part. Not to bad I thought. Even talked the guy into putting it on for me and yes easy when you know how! the previous posts are correct force needed.

#12 ·
I got my H311 and good to go - 12 inch scales well on my Astra K ST rear screen, even though the original was 10 inch.

What the heck! Can't lift the blade away from thr rear screen - what has the designer chappie been up to?

What is the trick - brute force, or a trip to Halfords?

Puzzled - never seen this before on any car!

#13 ·
Finston Pickle said:
I got my H311 and good to go - 12 inch scales well on my Astra K ST rear screen, even though the original was 10 inch.

What the heck! Can't lift the blade away from thr rear screen - what has the designer chappie been up to?

What is the trick - brute force, or a trip to Halfords?

Puzzled - never seen this before on any car!
You can, just pull it a bit further. Be brave :)

#14 ·
Sorry, but there is a full foul between the spring end and the pivot in the arm. The only solution seems to be to disconnect the spring at the pivot - but could I put it back on again?

I would not like to crack the rear screen or bend the wiper arm, so that is the end of things for me. I guess I will get VX to fit the new blade at the next service

#17 ·
Finston Pickle said:
Sorry, but there is a full foul between the spring end and the pivot in the arm. The only solution seems to be to disconnect the spring at the pivot - but could I put it back on again?

I would not like to crack the rear screen or bend the wiper arm, so that is the end of things for me. I guess I will get VX to fit the new blade at the next service
Just pull it harder (oo-er)!

You can actually change the rear wiper without having to lift the arm all the way up anyway. Just remember to put the arm gently back onto the rear screen while you're disposing of the old one and picking up the new one.

#18 ·
hi guys,
hope you are all keeping well

...so im trying to replace the rear wiper as per thread .... the rear arm on mine doenst seem to lift more than approx 45 degrees from screen, so cant rotate the wiper enough to get a clean action on the blade ....had to break the old one to get it off
.....now struggling to force new blade on :/

should the wiper arm go higher than the initial stop point? ... feels like it might break if i force it further :/

thanks
dan

#19 ·
I thought that I would break the wiper arm before it would lift. Watched you tube video placed hands accordingly and jerked hard. Loud crack and wiper lifted changed blade to H311 on sports tourer works well. Normally lift rear wiper when washing car still needs a quick jerk to get it off screen.

#20 ·
danx55 said:
should the wiper arm go higher than the initial stop point? ... feels like it might break if i force it further :/

thanks
dan
Hi Dan,

As has been said, the arm will go higher even though it feels like it won't. I have found though that you don't need to pull it all the way up:

1) Raise the arm as much as you dare with one hand
2) Using your more dexterous other hand, push on the two squares on either side of the blade/arm and pull the blade out.
3) Place the wiper arm VERY GENTLY onto the rear screen.
4) Throw away old blade, lift the arm again and slide new one (recommend H311) into the arm so the two squares lock into place.

It's certainly a lot easier than trying to change the blade on my old MK4 SRi where the spoiler was in the way of the rear arm!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.