Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Wireless Carplay

13K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Astra_k_16 
#1 ·
Hi all, with no mention of wireless CarPlay ever being installable on the K, I thought this looked like a good compromise. Wonder if anyone has ever used one of these?

Thoughts?
https://carplay2air.com/

Cheers
Matthew

#2 ·
I dont think there has been any mentioning of wireless carplay or android auto wireless on the new 2020 onward radio's in the astra K, but i think it is safe to say that the old R4.0 and Navi 900 has a chance, somewhere between extremely slim and never gonna happen of ever getting a firmware update that will enable these functions.

Would be interesting to know if the new 2020 onward units have :

1. Over the air firmware update.
2. wireless apple and android.

#3 ·
I bought one of these a few weeks ago from them, as they appeared to be the most reputable. They are a chinese company based in Hong Kong.

Had high hopes for the thing seeing all the reviews. The only thing I saw people mention was steering controls not working and some album art not showing when playing tracks. This I could have lived with to be honest, but these did work actually without a problem.

The problem is that when playing back music, any music app, it would start to distort after 5-10 minutes of playback. The only way I can stop this happening is to pause the music briefly and then resume again. It will then distort again shortly after.

I reached out to their support which leads you to believe you can actually chat to them live on the website when they are working - not quite. They never appear and then say they will get back to you via email.

When I finally got a response, I was told an update in a week would fix this. Great I thought, I could wait a week and if it doesn't work I would send it back for a refund which they agreed. A week goes by and I chase for an update of the update. They responded and asked whether I updated it to the latest firmware when purchased, which I did and the next email back they said I could send the unit back at it has not worked. WTF - the same person replying to me tells me an update would fix it and then tells me there is no update to fix.

I then ask what they think the problem is and have other people reported the same. They say it's interference and to do the following:

1. Apple Watch or Airpods or any other devices should be disconnected from iPhone
2. Your home network should not be connected to iPhone
3. Turn off in-car Bluetooth and Wifi

This made no difference.

Did a whole load of testing and even restored my iPhone to factory settings. Thinking maybe the OnStar in the car was the interference. I did ask in the forum where the OnStar box was so I could remove it, but it was tumble weeds. Searched engine bay, boot, behind OnStar buttons, under steering column and behind the glove box - nada.
I ended pulling the OnStar 5A fuses behind the cubby and in the engine bay - now non of the OnStar stuff is broadcasting. This didn't resolve the problem either.

The device works by connecting to the phone's bluetooth and then creating a hidden WiFi connection to it. The car then sees a CarPlay device. As bluetooth is only needed to establish the connection, I further tested by disabling bluetooth connection on my iPhone once CarPlay initiated, but it still distorted.

So, no bluetooth or WiFi interference in the car and still getting the same problem. I'm left wondering whether it's just compatibility with this car's stereo model or it's a faulty device. I have seen no other people report this problem.

Might just send another email to them of my findings and see what they say.

#7 ·
For £100? I reckon it's better to just stick with a cable which doesn't interfere at all.

#8 ·
Vayerr said:
For £100? I reckon it's better to just stick with a cable which doesn't interfere at all.
Would be better if they just got it baked into the firmware on the HMI's in the cars.

From what i can see, all of the hardware needed is there, so it is only a matter of software.

I would be totally ok with having to pay for an upgrade that made Android Auto Wireless work on my R4.0

#9 ·
I have just purchased the wireless carplay2 no problem installing works except for the distortion when play itunes music distorts within ten minutes have to pause and restart track but problem reappears within ten minutes contacted Carplay suggested resetting but still the problem exists. Cannot understand why it distorts within ten minutes every time .

#11 ·
Hi, do you have any update on the adaptor? I interested in buying for my car but can not accept if the steering wheel button is not working. It is much safer to use the steering wheel button to control CarPlay function. If you have any info it would be great. How about firmware update is it easy? Thanks~

Astra_k_16 said:
I bought one of these a few weeks ago from them, as they appeared to be the most reputable. They are a chinese company based in Hong Kong.

Had high hopes for the thing seeing all the reviews. The only thing I saw people mention was steering controls not working and some album art not showing when playing tracks. This I could have lived with to be honest, but these did work actually without a problem.

The problem is that when playing back music, any music app, it would start to distort after 5-10 minutes of playback. The only way I can stop this happening is to pause the music briefly and then resume again. It will then distort again shortly after.

I reached out to their support which leads you to believe you can actually chat to them live on the website when they are working - not quite. They never appear and then say they will get back to you via email.

When I finally got a response, I was told an update in a week would fix this. Great I thought, I could wait a week and if it doesn't work I would send it back for a refund which they agreed. A week goes by and I chase for an update of the update. They responded and asked whether I updated it to the latest firmware when purchased, which I did and the next email back they said I could send the unit back at it has not worked. WTF - the same person replying to me tells me an update would fix it and then tells me there is no update to fix.

I then ask what they think the problem is and have other people reported the same. They say it's interference and to do the following:

1. Apple Watch or Airpods or any other devices should be disconnected from iPhone

This made no difference.

Did a whole load of testing and even restored my iPhone to factory settings. Thinking maybe the OnStar in the car was the interference. I did ask in the forum where the OnStar box was so I could remove it, but it was tumble weeds. Searched engine bay, boot, behind OnStar buttons, under steering column and behind the glove box - nada.
I ended pulling the OnStar 5A fuses behind the cubby and in the engine bay - now non of the OnStar stuff is broadcasting. This didn't resolve the problem either.

The device works by connecting to the phone's bluetooth and then creating a hidden WiFi connection to it. The car then sees a CarPlay device. As bluetooth is only needed to establish the connection, I further tested by disabling bluetooth connection on my iPhone once CarPlay initiated, but it still distorted.

So, no bluetooth or WiFi interference in the car and still getting the same problem. I'm left wondering whether it's just compatibility with this car's stereo model or it's a faulty device. I have seen no other people report this problem.

#12 ·
bamboogrowfast said:
Hi, do you have any update on the adaptor? I interested in buying for my car but can not accept if the steering wheel button is not working. It is much safer to use the steering wheel button to control CarPlay function. If you have any info it would be great. How about firmware update is it easy? Thanks~

I haven't been back in touch with the manufacturer, as I've not used the car since corona. Although I did check to see if there was a new firmware released the other day - nothing. So as easy as it is updating (browsing to an IP address and pressing update), there's nothing for you to update to.
All the functions do work on the steering wheel, but can you live with it distorting the music after 10 minutes. This happens with Spotify, Apple Music and TuneIn and Podcasts. As the previous poster has also confirmed distortion, it's clearly an issue.

Astra_k_16 said:

This made no difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.