Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

New lucky owner of a 1.6T

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  MOOGLEYS 
#1 ·
Hey, I am new here, so this is an introduction.

I used to have an as ASTRA GSI, which by far was my favourite car (up until now) then the GSI "died" - when I got the cambelt replaced the garage never replaced the water pump so it blew its rods wasn't worth the fight with the garage and I didn't have the funds to rebuild it. Life has gone by getting married and having two small children.
My local Vauxhall dealership I noticed had an Astra Elite 1.6T (with the turbo badge) so gave them a call and ended up purchasing right after the test drive. The Astra K suits my life style now, a real sleeper car, 5 doors cheap running costs (tax, insurance etc) and it ticks all the boxes to keep the wife happy. Whilst something practical and safe to drive the kids around in.
Comparing to the GSI I used to have the K seems so much more grown up than the GSI and I thought the K wouldn't live up the GSI. As I have now owned the car for a couple of weeks I have really started to fall in love with it.
I do have a question, what tyres are recommended for the K, after I brought it I noticed it had a odd tyre on passenger right hand side and turns out in the paperwork it had a puncture from the previous owner so they have brought a cheap tyre so running on odds on the front.
I am tempted to get both fronts replaced with a decent recommended tyre.
I am very lucky and happy to be the owner of a 1.6 T 😊

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm assuming given we bought our 1.6T SRI with 10k miles on it the other week at 11 months old that we are still on the factory Bridgestones. They seem decent enough but have noticed they aren't so sure footed through the rivers of water currently on the roads. We had a Mini Clubman previous, factory tyres also Bridgestones, and noticed they faded quite rapidly in wet conditions as they aged but still remained strong in the dry.

I swapped the Mini onto Michelin Pilot Sports and really noticed the difference in all conditions, they come in at around £100 per wheel on the Astra according to Black Circles. Our other car which is a 1.4 Ibiza we use as a runner is on Michelin Cross Climates which are fab in the winter, makes alot of the "4x4" crossovers look silly in the snow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.