Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Steering lock problem

12K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Redman 
#1 ·
Hi All
Once I have removed my keys from the ignition the steering lock on my car seems to miss/click past a few times before it actually engages. Has anyone else had similar.

#5 ·
Is there a good reason for engaging the steering wheel lock ?

I usually just stop the car, turn off the engine, get out and lock the door.

I find that if it is engaged because i had it in the right angle for the pin to engage, i have to wiggle the steering wheel to disengage it

#7 ·
No issues at all with mine.
Most cars have some quirks we have to put up with. Mine being my emergency brake assist, have to turn it off from the wheel during every ignition cycle, don't have the setting options to turn it off from. As with the newer K's.... :lol: Would love vaux to bring a software update out to enable this function from the settings screen. So far they're not playing ball.

#8 ·
Boroboy said:
Most cars have some quirks we have to put up with. Mine being my emergency brake assist, have to turn it off from the wheel during every ignition cycle, don't have the setting options to turn it off from. As with the newer K's.... :lol: Would love vaux to bring a software update out to enable this function from the settings screen. So far they're not playing ball.
This must be a "we wont" as there should be absolutely NO reason that they COULD NOT.

I bet it's 100% pure software and updating the relevant modules (Radio etc) would make them able to enable the feature.

Maybe they won't because they fear that they will be swamped with costumers demanding this upgrade.

#9 ·
astraowner said:
Boroboy said:
This must be a "we wont" as there should be absolutely NO reason that they COULD NOT.

I bet it's 100% pure software and updating the relevant modules (Radio etc) would make them able to enable the feature.

Maybe they won't because they fear that they will be swamped with costumers demanding this upgrade.
Exactly. I did get a reply from the Tec department, after contacting vaux customer services and ringing 3 dealerships about it. Basically said as it wasn't a factory option on my car, they can't/won't change it or authorise an update to the dealer to enable them to do so. I tried arguing until I was blue in the face, regarding safety implications of a faulty self braking system. To no avail. I just turn it off now. Can live with that.

#10 ·
Boroboy said:
Exactly. I did get a reply from the Tec department, after contacting vaux customer services and ringing 3 dealerships about it. Basically said as it wasn't a factory option on my car, they can't/won't change it or authorise an update to the dealer to enable them to do so. I tried arguing until I was blue in the face, regarding safety implications of a faulty self braking system. To no avail. I just turn it off now. Can live with that.
This is exactly the reason why they should not be allowed to lock down their cars with VCI codes with encryption that only they can give you.

I REALLY hope some day, someone cracks this whole VCI part and releases a tool so that independent garages can service these cars also.

There is SO much nowadays that is pure software. It's nearly impossible to do anything on your own.

If your radio stops working, you can not buy a second hand one from a scrapper and fit it. Nooo, it will need to go to vauxhall for coding. Atleast on older vauxhall's you would get the access code to do these things yourself.

#11 ·
astraowner said:
Boroboy said:
This is exactly the reason why they should not be allowed to lock down their cars with VCI codes with encryption that only they can give you.

I REALLY hope some day, someone cracks this whole VCI part and releases a tool so that independent garages can service these cars also.

There is SO much nowadays that is pure software. It's nearly impossible to do anything on your own.

If your radio stops working, you can not buy a second hand one from a scrapper and fit it. Nooo, it will need to go to vauxhall for coding. Atleast on older vauxhall's you would get the access code to do these things yourself.
Agree. A lot of us own our cars, so we should have the right to do with it as we wish. I did a lot of retro programming using Opcom on my previous Astra H. Those were the days ... :lol:
Maybe what goes round, comes round. I'd much prefer a car I could actually fully repair myself. Especially with ECU access and programming.

#14 ·
Boroboy said:
Agree. A lot of us own our cars, so we should have the right to do with it as we wish. I did a lot of retro programming using Opcom on my previous Astra H. Those were the days ... :lol:
Maybe what goes round, comes round. I'd much prefer a car I could actually fully repair myself. Especially with ECU access and programming.
Yeah me too, on my Zafira, i changed the radio from CD30 til DVD90, the screen from GID to CID, added RearSeatAudio, added rain and light sensor, dimming rear view mirror, and enabled a lot of features as well and also retrofitted a UHP-4 bluetooth and enabled it.

With the Astra K i can barely change a bulb, without needing a visit to the garage and a VCI code. (Intellilux owner will certainly not be able to change a headlamp without a visit to VX)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.