Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Auto stop start

36K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  bar72 
#1 ·
This has probably been discussed before, but I'll ask anyway. Is there any way to either disable or default to OFF the "auto stop start" function ?
Quite honestly I think it's dangerous and only there to bring official MPG figures down to the required tagets.
How many times have you slowly rolled up to a roundabout looking for a gap, then floored it and nothing happens because the engine has cut out ?

#4 ·
astramaster said:
stirlingb said:
How many times have you slowly rolled up to a roundabout looking for a gap, then floored it and nothing happens because the engine has cut out ?
Never really....
In fact, if you "slowly roll up to a roundabout", the engine does not even stop.
Hi

I agree never had an issue with the start / stop.

Cheers

Paul

#6 ·
The only explanation for stirlingb's experience is if the car is automatic, my auto (not a vauxhall) will stop the engine whilst the brake is pressed and this may include the last few moments before coming to a full stop at a junction, If this is the case, then I don't know of a solution short of checking for a 'stop/start' fuse

If, on the other hand the car is manual, the stop/start should not operate until the clutch is released whilst in neutral. This is not conducive to a quick getaway in any case!

#7 ·
The first thing I do is push the button to disable the stop/start.I've nearly been caught out a couple of times slowing down in traffic,then attempting to pull away and the cars cut-out.I only activate it when i'm sitting in a traffic jam for any length of time,then I have to floor the pedal to start it.Just my experience.

#8 ·
Been caught out couple of times with the stop/start cutting in, the diesel insignia I owned b4 my astra could restart the engine with the brake pedal depressed but the brake pedal has to be fully released b4 the astra engine restarts .Left me lookin a knob a few times at lights one of my few gripes as I enjoy my astra v much ...

#9 ·
If you dont want it, get something draining your battery - the Auto stop start system dont work when the battery is a bit low.

I got a dashcam, connected to a Blackview thing that cut the dashcam power when the battery reach 12.8v. It's connected directly to the battery (via fuse) and ensures that when I am driving normally the Auto start stop system never engage. Am currently on summer holiday, driving 6 hours a day, this makes the Auto start stop system work faultlessly.

#10 ·
If I don't want the Stop Start to work, I simply leave the front Demist button turned on. I think I'd had my car for about 6 months before I realised that this was stopping it from working, I even mentioned that it wasn't working to my dealer, but they didn't seem to know why.

Another thing that I have noticed is that when the car is auto stopped, you don't need to press the clutch pedal to restart the engine, you can move the gear lever slightly, and the engine will restart.

#14 ·
Keeefy said:
i was hoping that it could be done for less and cheaper looks like i will be pressing the button every trip lol :D
Have you tried the following? I have been doing this for more than 3 years.
Quarryhunslet said:
If I don't want the Stop Start to work, I simply leave the front Demist button turned on. I think I'd had my car for about 6 months before I realised that this was stopping it from working, I even mentioned that it wasn't working to my dealer, but they didn't seem to know why.

#15 ·
That is a briilant idea leaving Front Demister on, when i had a Insignia nearly
got T Boned twice going round roundabout and over zealous driver trying
to charge straight across it, with me sitting with no engine to get out the
way, we both expressed verbals to each other..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.