Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Road Grime Removal

13K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  chrism40 
#1 ·
Hi fellas.

I wash my car every week and also apply good quality wax three or four times a year or so. At this time of year although the paint is shiny, it tends to get dirt stuck to it down the sides, bottom of the doors and round the wheels. You cant see it but it feels rough to the touch. I have brushed it with a car wash brush over and over...and even applied bug remover cream but the areas are too large for this. Is there a "bug removal" sponge anyone recommends? I don't want to use one that would mark the paintwork obviously. There are plenty to buy but most have the odd bad review claiming it scratches the lacquer.

Or if someone has any other tips or suggestions please let me know.

Rob

#5 ·
Thanks for the info fellas.

You are right about detailing world....lots of info with links to errr...expensive shampoos. But it did give me info on what to buy from the local car shop. Degreaser and snow foam. It has the unfortunate result of removing the wax which is a drawback. But if that's how to remove that dirt then so be it.

I have used a clay bar before it's hard work and very involved. The results are outstanding though....smooth and shining brilliantly. I would say it is a last resort and not to be done too often.

#7 ·
I've ordered some Auto smart Tardis, everyone raves about it all the time.

Trouble is you can only get it in 5 litre cans at £40ish a shot.

I've managed to order 1litre off eBay, obviously been decanted from a big can, and sold on as a profit. But I really wanted to try it out, if it's good, I'll buy the 5litre can.

Should last quite a while.

#10 ·
ScotsDude said:
Could try a Clay Mitt as well,less hassle than the bar and can cover bigger area faster.I got a mitt for keeping it free of as much crap as i can and use a clay bar on her once a year before winter comes along.
Do you recomend the clay mitt, once clay bar'd my Clio sport and thought never again with how long it took but now i've seen the mits might be tempted.

#11 ·
BRUCE225 said:
ScotsDude said:
Could try a Clay Mitt as well,less hassle than the bar and can cover bigger area faster.I got a mitt for keeping it free of as much crap as i can and use a clay bar on her once a year before winter comes along.
Do you recomend the clay mitt, once clay bar'd my Clio sport and thought never again with how long it took but now i've seen the mits might be tempted.
Use the G3 mitt,it's so much quicker than using a clay bar,just keep it well lubed,bucket of shampoo works just as well as spraying detailer on to lube the mitt.

#14 ·
Not heard of a clay mitt... I'll use that next time it's clay time.

Actually I've found the best stuff to get the gritty stuff off is petrol. Which is the main ingredient in tar remover.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.