Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Service esc

59K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  Erick 
#1 ·
Every other day I get this "service ESC " notification when I turn on the ignition but it disappears within a few seconds. I read a few posts on here but I'm still trying to figure out why it does this?. The car seems fine to drive and wonder if it's just a software glitch of some kind?

#2 ·
Hi

I am in your situation, maybe a week or so down the line. I had the service ESC message and also auto collision prep unavailable. A few days later the engine management light appeared. Car felt like it was going to stall when in low gears. My car is booked with Evans Halshaw today. Just had a call to say they need to strip the engine as it's misfiring and they need the car fr a week or so. Currently waiting a call back as they were unable to provide a hire car for that time even though it's under warranty. I'd book your car in with your dealer asap.

#3 ·
Oh dear that doesn't sound good at all mate. Good thing it's still under warranty though. I'll be on the phone first thing on Monday morning to get it booked in and see what they say. Thanks for the info and would like to know how you get on. Cheers

#4 ·
Fizzydrink said:
Oh dear that doesn't sound good at all mate. Good thing it's still under warranty though. I'll be on the phone first thing on Monday morning to get it booked in and see what they say. Thanks for the info and would like to know how you get on. Cheers
So today I was expecting an update on 2 things. How the work on my car was progressing and an update on my hire car.

Haven't received one call. Didn't call them as I wanted to give them the full day to make contact as they promised. Looks like I'll have to call them tomorrow.

#5 ·
adewolves said:
Fizzydrink said:
So today I was expecting an update on 2 things. How the work on my car was progressing and an update on my hire car.

Haven't received one call. Didn't call them as I wanted to give them the full day to make contact as they promised. Looks like I'll have to call them tomorrow.
Called Vauxhall direct this morning and have just picked up a car from my dealer.

The problem with my Astra is the pistons. Apparently they are made from Porcelain and they've seen a lot of them needing replacing. So they are replacing all 4 of mine within the next few days.

#6 ·
Called Vauxhall direct this morning and have just picked up a car from my dealer.

The problem with my Astra is the pistons. Apparently they are made from Porcelain and they've seen a lot of them needing replacing. So they are replacing all 4 of mine within the next few days.
[/quote]

I thought they were alloy , here is a quote from the 1.4 T engine design. I take it yours is the 1.4T petrol

hypereutectic-alloy aluminum pistons that are tough and contribute to quietness. They are used with low-tension rings that reduce friction, which contributes to greater efficiency.

There has been posts on here regarding new stronger pistons being used, never heard of them being porcelain though. Ask them to show you one of the porcelain pistons once they've replaced them and take some pics. How old is your car?

#9 ·
Glad to hear your getting it sorted. I'm still getting the ESC service message for a few seconds at start up but the car appears to be running fine. Am now wondering if it will develop into the pistons issue later down the line?. I will wait until the snow clears a bit and take it to my dealer for investigation

#10 ·
Fizzydrink said:
Glad to hear your getting it sorted. I'm still getting the ESC service message for a few seconds at start up but the car appears to be running fine. Am now wondering if it will develop into the pistons issue later down the line?. I will wait until the snow clears a bit and take it to my dealer for investigation
Mine was fine for about 4/5 days after the first Service ESC message. But doing around 30/40 miles a day and then noticed a difference. Was due to get my car back last Friday but its stills in repair.

#13 ·
Hi,

Mine came on for a few seconds for the first time this morning. The car seems to be fine. I have a 2017 version which according to people in the forum have an updated engine, meaning the piston problem has been fixed. Also, the car took a little longer to start than usual then the service esc came on for a few seconds.

#15 ·
Hi all,

So 'Service ESC' stands for 'Service/Repair Electronic Stability Control'. It's telling you there is a fault with the Electronic Stability Control. It's a vehicle module monitored issue that tracks whether a problem with the car is potentially causing an issue with the car skidding on ice/water. It will trigger in normal conditions if there is a fault with the engine resulting in a loss of power or torque. 9 times out of 10 it's the ignition coil in a petrol engine but with the turbocharged Astra's a larger proportion of issues relate to piston failure due to Low Speed Pre-Ignition.

Book in at a dealer if you have ever had this on the dashboard.

#18 ·
Just got mine back and as mentioned by wba- kol it was the battery that was almost flat?. Strange one that!. Anyway they have charged it up and I'll see how it goes. If it happens again I'll be demanding a new battery.
Thanks for all your help guys much appreciated

#20 ·
Hi all
Had to take the car back after the battery failed again. This time they have changed the battery and re- programmed the BCM. Really praying that's this issue sorted now?. This car is becoming very unreliable as I've had to have quite a few things fixed on it now.

#22 ·
I had the service ESC problem with my Astra, turned out to be a problem with the pistons which my dealer changed. Got my car back this week after being in repair for 4 weeks. Car feels even better now, especially after having a Corsa and a Clio as hire cars during the 4 weeks.

#25 ·
Hi , I,very got an Astra sports tourer elite nav turbo 3 weeks ago I got a service esc light come on the car has only done 15500 miles so I took it to Vauxhall told it was engine misfire went online to check it says 3 cylinders misfire and 1 low on pressure then got told last week they got the parts and rebuilt engine but it was not running right so they were going to strip down and rebuild called a week later and have been told it will need new piston rings that I will have my car back next week it has already been 3 weeks that they have had my car and I was left without a hire car the car is still under warranty it's just coming on a year old it is a 67 plate

#26 ·
Welshy said:
Hi , I,very got an Astra sports tourer elite nav turbo 3 weeks ago I got a service esc light come on the car has only done 15500 miles so I took it to Vauxhall told it was engine misfire went online to check it says 3 cylinders misfire and 1 low on pressure then got told last week they got the parts and rebuilt engine but it was not running right so they were going to strip down and rebuild called a week later and have been told it will need new piston rings that I will have my car back next week it has already been 3 weeks that they have had my car and I was left without a hire car the car is still under warranty it's just coming on a year old it is a 67 plate
Hi
What engine is it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.