Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Remote start

21K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  gmprog 
G
#1 ·
Just seen a video on YouTube where someone had fitted a remote start function to their Astra. Is this option available from onstar? Has anyone had any experience with having a a remote start system fitted?

#4 ·
The remote start function I think is available on all autos. It is not retrofitted. I tried it on mine, but it won't start. Can anyone please check if there is an option in the vehicle settings on the infotainment unit, under the remote windows, etc. there might be a function for the engine start (active/disabled). I don't have it on mine, but I think its a regional thing.

#5 ·
iavorid said:
The remote start function I think is available on all autos. It is not retrofitted. I tried it on mine, but it won't start. Can anyone please check if there is an option in the vehicle settings on the infotainment unit, under the remote windows, etc. there might be a function for the engine start (active/disabled). I don't have it on mine, but I think its a regional thing.
I just checked and although the menu does say "Remote lock, unlock, start", there's no engine start option. I have an Astra Innovation (like Elite in the UK). My country is Slovakia.

#16 ·
Wellman said:
Why would you want a remote start? Is it not just as easy to turn the key? The only way I could think of a remote start being useful is if it is freezing outside and press the button before I jump in the shower in he morning
I think that the biggest advantage of this is to cool down your car or heat it up before you get in. If you were in Portugal during the summer you would pray to gods to have that feature :D

#17 ·
I've just picked up an LT wagon in Australia. Yesterday after fumbling with the remote unlock/lock trying to get in, I noticed that the info screen in the car was different. One of the options was "relearn remote". I'm wondering if I "learned" a remote fob that had a "remote start" button on it (as opposed to my lock, unlock, boot one) whether it would actually work? Any thoughts? Is it just a key thing or is it a module in the car? It has auto start/stop.

#19 ·
Hi all
UK drivers please note the Highway Code clearly states the following:

Rule 123
You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road. Generally, if the vehicle is stationary and is likely to remain so for more than a couple of minutes, you should apply the parking brake and switch off the engine to reduce emissions and noise pollution. However it is permissible to leave the engine running if the vehicle is stationary in traffic or for diagnosing faults.
Law CUR regs 98 & 107

Perhaps why not available in the UK?

#22 ·
I've got remote start on my RS-V, I use it in the mornings to primarily defrost the windows in the winter and cool the car down in the summer.
It's simple to use, press the lock button followed by holding down the start button. It'll run for 10 minutes and repeating the button combination will extend it to 20 minutes.
While you can leave it unlocked it will refuse to start (instruments, steering and transmission lock) without a key.
The only issue I have is that some times the climate control panel doesn't fully initialise if the remote start time is extended and I start it while it's still running. It requires an ignition cycle to fix it.

#23 ·
For remote start you need an advance alarm system like Clifford or Viper.
You need to create a 3rd key that will be always on the car's hub. Remote start lets you start the engine to warm up before you leave on cold conditions.....
you can warm up the interior on winter and cool down on summer,defrost the winscreen etc.
Its a nice function that must be accompanied always by the alarm, not be stand alone.

#24 ·
Corbil said:
For remote start you need an advance alarm system like Clifford or Viper.
You need to create a 3rd key that will be always on the car's hub. Remote start lets you start the engine to warm up before you leave on cold conditions.....
you can warm up the interior on winter and cool down on summer,defrost the winscreen etc.
Its a nice function that must be accompanied always by the alarm, not be stand alone.
Australian spec cars with remote start don't have the motion/glass braking alarm with the button near the front map lights. Aka cost saving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.