Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Swirl Marks

6K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Scotty_b 
#1 ·
In over 20 years of owning various cars, I've never had an issue with swirl marks. Wouldn't consider myself a detailer, but always have taken pride in what I drive and how it looks. So I could have wept when I looked at the Astra on Sunday and saw swirl marks in the autumn sun literally all over the car, albeit they're not at all noticeable except in direct and reasonably strong sunlight. I know swirl marks are more noticeable on a black car, but this is freaking ridiculous.

I've always wash the car every week or so - dependent upon weather and this is my approach:

• Initial rinse;
  • Wash using Meguiars Sheepskin Wash Mitt and Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax, using 2 bucket method;
  • Rinse off initially using water and then rinse again using Meguiars Synthetic Wash Mitt to help remove any bubbles;
  • Dry using Microfibre Drying Cloths - unsure of make, purchase from Halfords.

Every 3 - 6 months - or around 3 times a year - I also remove any tar spots, polish the car using AutoGlym Super Resin Polish, before waxing using Simoniz Original Car Wax, using foam applicator pad and micro-fibre polishing cloths. I also throughly rinse the Sheepskin wash mitt in warm water after use and machine wash the microfibre drying cloths, which I replace every 2 months.

When I look at my wife's Mokka which is 6 months older and which I also maintain using the same approach, it's virtually 100% swirl mark free. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong on the Astra?

To try and get rid of the swirl marks and having looked around online, I'm thinking of:

• Polish using Auto Glum Super Resin Polish;
  • Apply Natty's Black Hole;
  • Wax using Collinite 845 Insulator Wax.

Any help / thoughts / feedback very much appreciated :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I do pretty much the same, although I do a pre-wash with Snowfoam first which removes 80% of the dirt etc before you make any contact with the paintwork

My Black Astra is also showing some swirls now despite me also religiously following my wash methods (especially since the dealer "Kindly" washed it for me when it went in for service, using an old brush and chamois no doubt) :evil:

#3 ·
Do remember that Super Resin Polish has a lot of fillers in it so will mask the swirls rather than get rid of them. When the fillers wear off , the swirls return. You're better off using a decent finishing polish like Megs 205 which will remove the swirls.

#4 ·
SRP is pretty old school stuff, it has had updated formulas over the years though. It works well enough on light colours.

Vauxhall paint is as soft as cheese, I'm fairly sure my white one is coated in Philadelphia to be honest. Makes it prone to marks, but also makes it very easy to correct.

Glazes and other filler loaded products only hide the swirls, best to remove with a true polish, something fine and mild should be enough. I like this:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/pre-wax-cleaners/sonax-xtreme-machine-polish-hybrid-npt/prod_1230.html

Says its for machines, but can be done by hand with a good foam pad.

Because Vauxhall paint is so soft its best to use something modern and hard to protect it. Use one of the new SiO2 enriched products that lay a glass layer over the surface. Something like Gyeon Cancoat or Sonax Hybrid NPT are easy to apply. Both can be covered with good old wax if you like the warmer look of wax.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/sonax-xtreme-protect-shine-hybrid-npt/prod_1200.html

#5 ·
I had a few surface scratches on mine which I covered using one of those magic pens.. it works but does wear off eventually.
If the swirls are that bad.. Maybe an idea is to get a claybar and then give some serious protection afterwards.

I'm no fanatic to be honest, but the paintwork after spending a good few hours with clay feels like polished glass. Back to showroom shine. I just used one off t'internet. £10.00.

#6 ·
Clay will strip the paint bare exposing every scratch/swirl that's there. This is what you want as you can then hit it with a cutting polish to remove them. I use Finish Kare 215 by hand and it does work well, especially when topped with SRP and a sealant to hide the deeper swirls. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.