Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Want to Install a Shark Finn Antenna

100K views 143 replies 38 participants last post by  leslawck55 
#1 ·
as you know there are 4 kind of antenna is available for astra k which you can see them in the attachment.

My car has the longest antenna of 4 of them :lol: so i wanna change it with a shark finn. I want something like fourth car's antenna -large one-. But i need some recommendation.

Thank you!:)

Attachments

See less See more
#111 ·
Complete guide for converting to shark finn on the Astra K:

You have:
13383712 - Original stock antenna without Onstar

You'll need:
13490407 Amplifier for FM/AM
13476638 Shark finn antenna BLACK (GM stock for the Astra K)
and this fakra extension cable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fakra-B-Female-to-Male-RG174-Cable-2m-for-Car-FM-Radio-Antenna-Extension-Cable-/252999609614?hash=item3ae7f3ad0e

Reason is that the versions with an original mounted shark finn antenna has an amplifier in the rear window. It is mounted in the right side of the window.
A fakra extension cable you'll need for connecting the antenna cable located in the sealing. The new shark finn antenna is ONLY for styling purpose. It does not serve any other purpose than this! It can't be connected to the existing antenna cable!

1. Pull down the headliner from the back: fold up the rubber trim at the hatch in top. Then you can pull down the headliner - you'll notice the plastic clip will "pop". Don't worry. It is VERY flexible.

2. Locate the old antenna, use a 10mm socket with a small extender and unscrew the antenna. Be aware - there is plenty of places where you can cut your arm on it the gab above the sealing.
3. When removing the antenna, make sure that you disconnect the cable and the little bracket are rotated correctly to fit the hole in the top. Then you can pop out the antenna from bottom and out from the top.

4. Attach the new antenna using the reverse method - make sure that the sealing between antenna and the roof are tight, but not too tight as water will enter here and damage you sealing/electrics.
5. Remove the plastic trims in the rear window. It is only plastic, and it makes a lot of noise when you are removing them.
6. Locate the bolt for the antenna extender in right top of the hatch.

7. Unscrew the bolt and mount the amplifier for the FM/AM.
8. Here you'll need to mount the "little" antenna for the rear window with some double sided tape on the spot for the antenna in the window glass (I recommend 3M as it is tolerates cold temperatures).
9. Wire the fakra extender cable through the left hand sided (or right hand side - depends on UK or Europe version :lol: ) through the rubber wiring protection (see the photo and notice this has both rubber wiring protection. Notice: it is very TIGHT here! You might need a solid tube to force the cable through. You might break the cable here, since the head of the fakra cable are not easy to pull through this rubber protection. Try it out yourself.

10. Connect the existing antenna cable from the roof with the fakra extender cable, and the connect the amplifier with the fakra cable.
11. Put back the plastic trim for the rear window and put the sealing back, and remember to place the little rubber trim correct for the edge of the sealing.

I hope that you enjoy my guide..
By the way - antenna signal improves A LOT using the amplifier.

#113 ·
LasseMandrup said:

You have:

You'll need:
and this fakra extension cable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fakra-B-Female-to-Male-RG174-Cable-2m-for-Car-FM-Radio-Antenna-Extension-Cable-/252999609614?hash=item3ae7f3ad0e

Reason is that the versions with an original mounted shark finn antenna has an amplifier in the rear window. It is mounted in the right side of the window.
A fakra extension cable you'll need for connecting the antenna cable located in the sealing. The new shark finn antenna is ONLY for styling purpose. It does not serve any other purpose than this! It can't be connected to the existing antenna cable!

The problem with this is when you have the stock antenna with Onstar...

#114 ·
LasseMandrup said:

You have:

You'll need:
and this fakra extension cable:

Hi!

I'm trying to install it on an OnStar one.

This is the window antenna, the connector needed comes in the amplifier?

Thanks!

Attachments

#115 ·
LasseMandrup said:

You have:

You'll need:

1. Pull down the headliner from the back: fold up the rubber trim at the hatch in top. Then you can pull down the headliner - you'll notice the plastic clip will "pop". Don't worry. It is VERY flexible.

2. Locate the old antenna, use a 10mm socket with a small extender and unscrew the antenna. Be aware - there is plenty of places where you can cut your arm on it the gab above the sealing.
3. When removing the antenna, make sure that you disconnect the cable and the little bracket are rotated correctly to fit the hole in the top. Then you can pop out the antenna from bottom and out from the top.

4. Attach the new antenna using the reverse method - make sure that the sealing between antenna and the roof are tight, but not too tight as water will enter here and damage you sealing/electrics.
5. Remove the plastic trims in the rear window. It is only plastic, and it makes a lot of noise when you are removing them.

8. Here you'll need to mount the "little" antenna for the rear window with some double sided tape on the spot for the antenna in the window glass (I recommend 3M as it is tolerates cold temperatures).
9. Wire the fakra extender cable through the left hand sided (or right hand side - depends on UK or Europe version :lol: ) through the rubber wiring protection (see the photo and notice this has both rubber wiring protection. Notice: it is very TIGHT here! You might need a solid tube to force the cable through. You might break the cable here, since the head of the fakra cable are not easy to pull through this rubber protection. Try it out yourself.

10. Connect the existing antenna cable from the roof with the fakra extender cable, and the connect the amplifier with the fakra cable.
11. Put back the plastic trim for the rear window and put the sealing back, and remember to place the little rubber trim correct for the edge of the sealing.

Thanks for the tutorial. Can you please tell me where is the amplifier located. couldn't understand it from the Picture.
Also there is a Coil ( part# 13383713) that should be used for the installation. Is that necessary ?

#116 ·
Husker84 said:
Hi!

Thanks!
The pins that should be located here is not present in our versions with a non stock shark finn mount. Note that the rear window does come i two versions: with and without pins for rear mounted antenna.
I haven't got the pins either, however I use some 3M double sided tape and if you like, you can add a smal clip inside that touches the aeriel connector and the pin placement in the rear window. That way, you might get a better signal. I will NOT recommend, that you start to do some soldering in the rear window! That might cost you a new rear window if you damage the heating threads.

#117 ·
Husker84 said:
Hi!

Thanks!
The pins that should be located here is not present in our versions with a non stock shark finn mount. Note that the rear window does come i two versions: with and without pins for rear mounted antenna.
I haven't got the pins either, however I use some 3M double sided tape and if you like, you can add a smal clip inside that touches the aeriel connector and the pin placement in the rear window. That way, you might get a better signal. I will NOT recommend, that you start to do some soldering in the rear window! That might cost you a new rear window if you damage the heating threads.

AdieMcc said:
So where's the picture of yours fitted?
I have completely forgot to post some photos of my fit. Will do now. I see that the antenna isn't quite the "real" Astra K MY17 shark finn antenna. But it worked fine either way. And YES! It is dusty my car. I have damaged my hand, so I am not allowed to drive for the next 6 weeks :(

Attachments

#118 ·
LasseMandrup said:
Husker84 said:
Hi!

Thanks!
But if you connect the onstar antenna, it should work as stock one, right?

#119 ·
Husker84 said:
But if you connect the onstar antenna, it should work as stock one, right?
Yes! If you don't have OnStar before, just leave the cables from the shark finn be there. The only cable you need to connect is the FM-antenna, which you need to connect to the fakra extension cable.
If you have OnStar antenna (not shark finn), then connect all the cables to it. Then all should work as intended.

I can't see how I can explain this anymore simple than this. It's plug'n'play for God sake ;)

#120 ·
Hello, good morning, I love the tutorial, I installed the shark antenna and now I am waiting for the amplifier and the cable, but I have a question about how you have put the connectors to the FM antenna of the rear glass, so that drop and keep making contact and it works, thanks

#121 ·
LasseMandrup said:

You have:

You'll need:

Great, I followed all your steps, and it works great, gives much more signal than with the serial antenna, thank you very much.

I only have the doubt, where did you buy the other tube? Do you have a reference number to buy it and be able to finish the job 100%, thank you

Attachments

#122 ·
I did not buy a second tube. Is was a part of the wiring system, and costs more than 100£!!!

I had a tight fit, broke my first fakra connector, but found out, that I cound unmount the plug from the wire of the fakra extension cable. Pull out the blue tab from the side of the fakra female port, and you should be able to remove the plug entirely.
Then I was able to pull the wire through the existing rubbe tube and it looks like made from factory :D

#124 ·
Sorry for bumping an old post.

I've recently changed a facelift 2020 model antenna, it had the antenna in the third photo but due to being facelift, it has R4.0 infotainment but ALSO NAV.

I have swapped to the shark fin (large) in 4th image but I am missing FM and SAT NAV functions now. I need to get a Fakra cable for the remaining 1 of 2 brown connectors but I assumed this was for FM.

Does anyone know why technically the nav antenna from pre-facelift is not working with Nav?

Many thanks!

#125 ·
One question.
My car is MY 2017 with Onstar and DAB (Intellilink R4.0).
But because OnStar is history now i want to know if there is way to fit shark fin aerial and keep FM reception?
I use DAB most of the time but if reception is bad i still have "backup" FM reception.

Is there any way to fit shark fin aerial and keep FM reception?
I have this aerial factory fitted.

Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tree

Attachments

#126 ·
Icy said:
One question.
My car is MY 2017 with Onstar and DAB (Intellilink R4.0).
But because OnStar is history now i want to know if there is way to fit shark fin aerial and keep FM reception?
I use DAB most of the time but if reception is bad i still have "backup" FM reception.

Is there any way to fit shark fin aerial and keep FM reception?
I have this aerial factory fitted.

IMG_20201228_101828.jpg
I would also like to know this as I have this antenna and I really want a shark fin :D