Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Polishing red paint good or bad idea?

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  chrism40 
#1 ·
Having been browsing through some of the threads on here on various subjects I came across a few posts about how polishing a car that has red paint is a very bad idea, is this true?

I've ordered numerous cleaning products from autoglym and meguiars but I am now unsure whether it's safe to use the autoglym super resin polish so any advice would be appreciated, especially from any power red astra owners.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Hi Autoglym SRP is perfectly safe to use on any paint.

In the "Detailing World" the definition of a "polish" is a product with a very fine abrasive added to it to take a very thin layer off your clearcoat to permantly remove fine scratches and swirls. Autoglym Super Resin Polish is a bit misleading as there is no abrasive in the product it is classed as an All In One as it will clean your paint and it has "Fillers" which can infill and hide fine scratches and swirls. This is only temporary and the scratches will reappear over time.

Hope this helps
Russell

#4 ·
There is so much misunderstanding around. If anything red needs caring for more than other colours, it fades, and Vauxhall red has a reputation for degrading pretty badly.

Best thing is to polish it with a fine abrasive, then coat the car in some sort of protection. 'Wax' is a bit of a general term, but anything that is an LSP will work (last stage product). Ive been using Sonax Extreme nano machine polish. You can use it by hand, and it adds some protection by itself (although a top coat is still recommended).

Synthetic sealants are the most durable, but can be 'cold' looking on red, natural wax is warmer, but less durable. Hybrids give the best of both. You can also use both, with a base coat of a durable sealant, topped with a warmer looking wax.

#6 ·
Under rated stuff, gives a good shine.

Ive been using SiO2 based products for some years now. They used to be expensive and hard to apply, but they have gotten easier to use. Stuff from the Sonax Xtreme range and Gyeon range are great and easy to use. They coat the car in glass basically, and the shine and beading is insane. They can last a year or more as well. They are particularly useful on Vauxhall paint because its really soft and prone to swirls and scratches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.