Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Fuel gauge reading

140K views 398 replies 65 participants last post by  Paulch 
#1 ·
As posted elsewhere I have an issue with my fuel gauge not reading full. In fact it seems to read low all down the scale. Onstar also reports that the tank is only 91% full when it is reporting a fuel level of 48 litres. The dealer has opened a technical query with Vauxhall but I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with the fuel gauge at all, or knows of anyone else reporting it?

#377 ·
xizaccyix said:
Pentagon - I don't have much choice - unless I go to Leadenham.

Are you near me then?
Hi

About 25 miles away in Louth.

I spoke to Pentagon in August 2015 before the car was released but they had no information about the new Astra. However, when I spoke to my local dealer they new all about it and my order was placed with them around the end of August 2015. Car delivered January 2016.

Cheers

Paul

#378 ·
Nice.. sounds good.

Like I said I would go somewhere else if I had a choice... had a Corsa black edition before the Astra and had runnings with Pentagon then over MOTs etc.

.. I actually bought it from a Drive dealership down in Bury St Edmunds (family discount).

So long as they sort my fuel gauge :)

#379 ·
xizaccyix said:
Nice.. sounds good.

Like I said I would go somewhere else if I had a choice... had a Corsa black edition before the Astra and had runnings with Pentagon then over MOTs etc.

.. I actually bought it from a Drive dealership down in Bury St Edmunds (family discount).

So long as they sort my fuel gauge :)
Troops might be worth a try, there's also Twells of Billinghay, but I personally wouldn't use them as they've annoyed me on two separate occasions over the years. Taylors in Spalding have had some experience as they have had mine in for the fuel gauge issue, they certainly know about the software update as they did my car. They also changed my fuel gauge sender, although that did no good. I've finally had the fuel tank swapped (it went back to Vauxhall in Luton for this), but if anything I think it's worse now. Vauxhall have said they can do no more, so I've given up.

#381 ·
If they cannot/will not fix it do we have any way of ditching the car completely?

It may seem like a trivial issue but it's bloody annoying - "here.. have it back"?!?

#384 ·
cornishtaz said:
I've got Vauxhall Tech Dept involved. They've got a very comprehensive email detailing everything along with several pics of my issue. Just waiting for a outcome/ feedback
Good luck, mine's ended up worse than it started I reckon after going back to Luton. They now say there's no more they can do as they say it's working to spec.

#385 ·
## UPDATE ##

Mine has had the software update and now its shows between 7/8ths and full (before it was @ 7/8ths).

I cannot be bothered to take it back again...

#386 ·
God I just don't know where to start on this issue. Filled up 16 plate sri, 2.0 petrol 200PS for first time, 7/8 issue. Read most of the 39 pages here, and still dont know if I should call it in or not, dealer was Arnold Clark - Manchester.

What do you guys reckon?

Just curious - I got 350 mile estimated mileage from filling it up full, seemed low to me anyone else with same engine can share their stats?

Thanks

#388 ·
UPDATE:

I took it to fill again, following previous posts advise, went to 3 clicks, slowly withdrawing the nozzle each time, even tried to not fill a couple of times but held the opening to the tank open with the nozzle to let it "vent"? who knows if it worked, but overall I did get it to full now with an estimated milage of 414 when I did it.
So I'm happy with that, is it a good design? hell no, and vauxhall should really address it, saving me and a few others here messing about at the pump looking like idiots... Thanks to the whole forum.

Good luck to the rest if you're having issues, my heart goes out to you.

#390 ·
My latest update in this year long saga.....I posted on another thread that my dealer agreed to keep my car until they have a fix (I have a replacement Astra in the meantime).

Vauxhall have confirmed that they agree I have an issue. Latest update is that I'm having the fuel tank replaced.

I'll keep you all posted.

#391 ·
Got a phone call late this afternoon..... apparently replacing the fuel tank has fixed the issue. Picking up the car on Saturday lunchtime so I will provide a further update shortly.

From what I can see, onstar all is reporting my car as having a 96% full tank...... i have never seen it over 80% so I am hopeful this is the fix.

Update to follow

#393 ·
I have a 1.6 Turbo 200PS. Lovely car; drives like a dream; Fuel Gauge and Trip MPG - Complete Fiction!!
Bought an ex-demonstrator last November with 4500 on the clock. Fuel gauge and trip MPG have been wrong from day one. Took it back, and was told "no problem, it's a software bug". Software updated - slight difference but definitely still wrong. Took it back again, and was told they can't find anything wrong with it, and the fault has not been reported elsewhere. Have been going back and forward with local dealership and Luton since January. Deadlock at present.
Brief stats Filling tank (3 clicks) - gauge almost always goes to only about 85=90%. Only once did it get close to full
Drive 40-50 miles and gauge already at three quarters! Range showing about 350
Trip plus range almost always consistent at around 400 total
120 miles on trip - fuel gauge half full - range for remaining half tank showing 280
Trip MPG is always optimistic - Trip 46.1 - actual 41.7; Trip 42.4 - actual 38.1
Trip once showed over 50 MPG - I wish!!
Having now found this forum, I feel better that I'm not alone, and will take print of forum comments to my dealership (next week when my contact comes back - no-one else can pick up his stuff)
And don't get me started on over-sensitive parking sensors. Bing Beeeeep Bong Beeep, AAAAARGHHHH. Thank heavens for the off button.

#395 ·
When the nozzle clicks off while filling, if you persevere you can get another 4 litres of fuel into the tank, first two go in reasonably easily the last two slowly..upon doing this my gauge then shows a full tank as does the app which then states the tank as FULL.
Also I think it's more of an airlock issue...whilst filling the amount of gurgling that comes from the tank is quite amusing

#397 ·
Just to add my story to this thread.......

My Astra 1.4T went in and first it had a vehicle reset, next it has had a new fuel sender unit.....still not filling up to full. My dealer has raised this with Vauxhall and I await the response. New tank? What turnaround do they do replacement tanks?

#398 ·
Sorry to revive this post again but just need some thoughts on whether I should get chasing Vauxhall.

As a quick recap my Astra has been into twice to the local dealer (who are great) and it has had a new fuel sender and then a week later a IPC software update functional group:Fuel and exhaust system, the end result a slight improvement but not what I call fixed!

My latest tank 'fills' went something like this -

Tank filled, gauge shows full, OnStar shows full (11 gallons)
Drive 35 miles, gauge shows 7/8th full, OnStar shows 9 gallons
Today the gauge is approaching half after 150 miles, OnStar shows 7 gallons

Vauxhall have come back with it seems to be normal!

Other info I have is that I put in 36 litres and the gauge went from just above the red line to full.

Are others get these kind of figures and am I being petty about thinking of chasing this further?

TIA, Mark

#399 ·
markluk said:
Sorry to revive this post again but just need some thoughts on whether I should get chasing Vauxhall.

As a quick recap my Astra has been into twice to the local dealer (who are great) and it has had a new fuel sender and then a week later a IPC software update functional group:Fuel and exhaust system, the end result a slight improvement but not what I call fixed!

My latest tank 'fills' went something like this -

Tank filled, gauge shows full, OnStar shows full (11 gallons)
Drive 35 miles, gauge shows 7/8th full, OnStar shows 9 gallons
Today the gauge is approaching half after 150 miles, OnStar shows 7 gallons

Vauxhall have come back with it seems to be normal!

Other info I have is that I put in 36 litres and the gauge went from just above the red line to full.

Are others get these kind of figures and am I being petty about thinking of chasing this further?

TIA, Mark
Hi

I find the first half of the fuel gauge drops quite quickly and does roughly 140 miles. The second half drops more slowly and does around 190 miles before the light comes on. If I look at the app when the fuel gauge is showing full the app only shows 92%.

Cheers

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.