Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Auto lights disabling

94K views 187 replies 51 participants last post by  Corbil 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to switch off this awful auto lighting function as i find it worse than useless as once they are activated in daylight i cannot read the screens as they have dimmed to night mode.i cant see anything in the manual thanks.

#2 ·
Hi

You can set the screens to permanent day if you have the NAV version not sure about the non NAV one which will stop it going into night mode. Downside is then it is very bright at night unless you manually change it to night mode. Page 28 & 46 of the Infotainment manual.

You can only switch the lights from AUTO to either sidelights (DRL) or ON there is no OFF as such.

Cheers

Paul

#3 ·
even if you set the lights to on the dashboard wil dim according to the senzor. and i dont think you can force day brightness on non nav(which i have)

#4 ·
I feel your pain as I get very annoyed by this. Yesterday I drove 40 miles in beautiful, bright midday sun, not a cloud in the sky. The headlights were on throughout the entire journey and thus both displays were in night mode. With the sun shining on them they were difficult to read. I got my wife to take a video so I can show it to my dealer again the next time it's in.
Usually, this only happens in the morning or evening when the sun is low in the sky but this was clearly not the case yesterday.

#8 ·
davie24 said:
Similar story here. Drove a fair bit in beautiful sun shine and the headlights were constantly on. Other motorists must have thought I was mad.
Yep. me too!

Drove a quarter of the way round the M25 yesterday morning, the auto function switched the headlights on through the Dartford Tunnel and they stayed on all the way to Jct 23 (S Mimms), even though there was bright (albeit low) sunshine practically all the way :eek: :shock: :? :cry: :x

Has anyone had the software firmware update for the 'Intellilux'? If so, does this cure the problem? :cool: :cool:

#9 ·
Same problem here with the "auto" light function - the dipped beam comes on and stays on in normal bright day light - so annoying.

One thing I have noticed once though, I pulled over and turned the car off, back on again, and the dipped beam didn't come on.... It seems that the camera and or sensor that controls the lights is a bit too sensitive.... Surely Vauxhall must take note of this and do something...

I don't know why on earth there isn't an "OFF" option on the light switch to completely turn them off and only have the DRL, then you could use the auto setting as an option and not be forced to use it because on auto, the lights are so temperamental.

This is the only thing I dislike about the car

#10 ·
Sri150 said:
I don't know why on earth there isn't an "OFF" option on the light switch to completely turn them off and only have the DRL, then you could use the auto setting as an option and not be forced to use it because on auto, the lights are so temperamental.

This is the only thing I dislike about the car
Exactly - couldn't agree more!

Unfortunately, when you manually turn on sidelights, the DRLs dim appreciably. If they remained bright (as on many cars), these would be more than adequate to ensure the car's visibility well in to dusk. In an urban area where I live, you don't often require socking great bright 'Intellilux' or even ordinary headlights when you're driving around. In fact, I think in those circumstances they're too bright, especially when reflected from a wet road!

#12 ·
I notice I have headlights on when I don't need them during the day, but I don't notice any change at all in the cabin regarding brightness of the screen or buttons.
I have a Nav with intellilink 900, and I have set my screen display set to night mode permanently (it looks better than day setting) and I'm not 100%, but I'm sure i used the adjuster next to the headlight switch to set the brightness to max.... No issues and I'm happy with the settings

#14 ·
They do tend to get better with age...mine have definitely settled down and are very good now..car just over a year old.
Was the same on the Astra J, when I first got it that would have a mind of its own but at least you could disable the auto lights with a quick flick to the left of the switch...but as the months went by the system settled down and reacted quite well.

#16 ·
Scotty_b said:
Looking into this further I see the Corsa E switch is the same as the K but with an off switch to the left. If I can get one cheap enough I'll switch them over and see if it really is that simple.

Corsa E:
s-l400.jpg
That would be excellent if it was a straight replacement, I`m burning through my expensive bright bulbs more in daylight than night time just lately :(

Do keep us updated if you manage to pick one up

#18 ·
Seems we are not the only ones suffering with this lighting problem. There are around 19 pages on the German website with similar problems, some of the problems mentioned are related to ours. So its time Vauxhall sorted this out. When the display is dim and driving in bright sunshine I don't want to be peering into the recessed speedo cowl to see the needle when a glance a well lit digital speed reading is far better

Astra 1.4T SRI

#19 ·
I have this problem too.. and it is very annoying and embarrassing. I took my Nav version in to a different dealer for a second opinion. They immediately told me there were 4 recall service issues and also found the lux sensor was faulty. This requires a 3 day repair visit. Also fixing the dodgy blind spot alert at the same time.

#20 ·
Yeah, that's a bugger! Even if you put it on day mode it stays on low brightness. I can live with that though.

#21 ·
Well I bought a Corsa E switch to test with mixed results.
1. The switch lights up red instead of white.
2. The front fog button turns the fogs on but the dipped beam off.
3. The rear fog button does nothing.

4. The most annoying things is that the auto headlights could be disabled and worked perfectly.

#22 ·
Wow, that's almost awesome, good on ya for trying & reporting back. I`ve had the right hump all day driving with my lights on in the blinding sun :(

So basically you can turn off the auto light feature, but at the expense of front & rear fog lights?
I guess with some knowhow & tinkering it could be fully functional?

#25 ·
Scotty_b said:
Had too try it as the auto lights are the most annoying thing about the car.

Yeah the headlights came on in auto with one turn to the left they went off leaving just the drls on.

Sadly not being a direct swap I'm out as I'm not skilled enough to make it work.
Hopefully someone with some electronics skills will take on the challenge! would be superb to get this fully functioning

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.