Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

The place to discuss everything else..
Pompeydave
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 2:42 pm
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver
Location: Bournemouth

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by Pompeydave » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:54 pm

FredOnline wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:52 pm
I lusted over the Opel Monza, and I'm showing my age!
Cracking car Fred

Boroboy
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 pm
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red
Location: Guisborough, North Yorkshire.

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by Boroboy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:08 pm

Fif000 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:42 pm
I had to google those vauxhall models to see them! That was nice.
Wow the Berlinetta looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Yes it looks like the Manta was just Opel; just checked. It was similar to Vauxhall Firenza (or next gen). Anyhow I hope I get a chance to test one when they come out; even for a day
A Magnum was basically an original beefed up Viva, Firenza 3dr coupe sports model. The "droopsnoot" was a futuristic front nose job for the time.

User avatar
FredOnline
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:33 am
Astra Model: 1.4T 16V 150 SRI 5DR
Astra Colour: Silver
Location: Greater Manchester

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by FredOnline » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:14 pm

That droopsnoot was similar to the Renault Alpine A310, the one featured in Wheeler Dealers.

Finston Pickle
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:58 pm
Astra Model: 1.6 Petrol Turbo SRI Nav Sports tourer
Astra Options: AGR seats;Wntr Pk;Sp Whl;S/Rf;Tints;CD plyr;P/Sens
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by Finston Pickle » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:22 pm

Quite a shame. I came across to Vx because the car offered more of what I wanted. New looks, great engine, the extras I could afford and assembled in UK. It has proved to be reliable too.

Thats all gone, I'm afraid. Perhaps a PEUGEOT Partner with a peppy engine will fit the bill?
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

Boroboy
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 pm
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red
Location: Guisborough, North Yorkshire.

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by Boroboy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:30 pm

FredOnline wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:14 pm
That droopsnoot was similar to the Renault Alpine A310, the one featured in Wheeler Dealers.
I absolutely loved the Firenza droopsnoot back when, I bought a 10 year old Magnum 2.3 at a grand old age of 18. The droopsnoot was out of reach then.

User avatar
Shaky
Posts: 598
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:23 pm
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Elite Nav Sports Tourer
Astra Options: Agr Drivers Seat, Ilux lights, Parking Sensors,
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver OP189
Location: Gilberdyke, East Yorkshire

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by Shaky » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:14 pm

Boroboy wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:30 pm
I absolutely loved the Firenza droopsnoot back when, I bought a 10 year old Magnum 2.3 at a grand old age of 18. The droopsnoot was out of reach then.
I used to think my Dad's K-Reg 2.3 FE Victor used to go well but I remember one of his mates had a Magnum that had a slightly tuned VX-4/90 motor in it and it went like shit off a stick :o I do wonder if the old FE Victor had a fore-runner of the M32 'box in it though coz my Dad was Forever having to work on it. :lol: :lol: Kept jumping out of third IIRC ?

I also remember when the diaphragm split on the Stromberg Carb when we were on our way for a Caravan Holiday in Newquay (35mph max on m-way!) so he pulled off at the next junction, figured out what was up, bodged it with an old crisp packet believe it or not :lol: , got us to a Vauxhall Dealers somewhere near Bristol I think and managed to get another diaphragm off the shelf from the parts dept. One of the fitters even fitted it for him FOC while they made my Mam a cuppa to give my dad a chance to clean himself up after getting covered in crap doing the bodge.

Wonder if any Vaux dealer would do that nowadays............errrr NO :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mods - Bonnet Struts, 2nd boot light, Glovebox Light, Footwell Light (All LED) Fr & R Dashcams, Detachable Towbar with Battery Charging, 17" Alloy Spare.
I am Homer of Borg. Resistance is..............Hmmmm Doughnuts.

User avatar
1900sr
Posts: 999
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 pm
Astra Model: ex 2015 SRi 1.0
Astra Options: None
Astra Colour: Power Red
Location: Lincoln

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by 1900sr » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:45 pm

Fif000 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:26 pm

Do people in the uk talk about the new Manta or is just a German thing ?

There has been some talk within the UK about both the restomod electric Manta A, as well as the proposed new EV Manta. There have been some pics of what the new Manta would look like, but not sure if they were from Opel or someone speculating what it would look like. Whatever the "new" Manta looks like, I'll stick with my original one.

IMG_20201115_154520 (2).jpg

I had a 2015 1.0i Turbo SRi, Power Red, now got a Honda.

User avatar
Shaky
Posts: 598
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:23 pm
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Elite Nav Sports Tourer
Astra Options: Agr Drivers Seat, Ilux lights, Parking Sensors,
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver OP189
Location: Gilberdyke, East Yorkshire

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by Shaky » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:52 pm

1900sr wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:45 pm
Whatever the "new" Manta looks like, I'll stick with my original one.
Just had to wipe my laptop down after drooling so much :lol:

Lovely looking motor bud ;)
Mods - Bonnet Struts, 2nd boot light, Glovebox Light, Footwell Light (All LED) Fr & R Dashcams, Detachable Towbar with Battery Charging, 17" Alloy Spare.
I am Homer of Borg. Resistance is..............Hmmmm Doughnuts.

philim
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:44 pm

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by philim » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:11 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:22 pm
Quite a shame. I came across to Vx because the car offered more of what I wanted. New looks, great engine, the extras I could afford and assembled in UK. It has proved to be reliable too.

Thats all gone, I'm afraid. Perhaps a PEUGEOT Partner with a peppy engine will fit the bill?
Dont dismiss it yet. The new 250bhp astra l sounds good.
Every manufacturer has issues. Vw hadnissues with their 1.4tsi when it was introduced.
If pug are going to move vx premium it means they will have to have power and performance in the mix.

Boroboy
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 pm
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red
Location: Guisborough, North Yorkshire.

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by Boroboy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:00 pm

Shaky wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:14 pm
Boroboy wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:30 pm
I absolutely loved the Firenza droopsnoot back when, I bought a 10 year old Magnum 2.3 at a grand old age of 18. The droopsnoot was out of reach then.
I used to think my Dad's K-Reg 2.3 FE Victor used to go well but I remember one of his mates had a Magnum that had a slightly tuned VX-4/90 motor in it and it went like shit off a stick :o I do wonder if the old FE Victor had a fore-runner of the M32 'box in it though coz my Dad was Forever having to work on it. :lol: :lol: Kept jumping out of third IIRC ?

I also remember when the diaphragm split on the Stromberg Carb when we were on our way for a Caravan Holiday in Newquay (35mph max on m-way!) so he pulled off at the next junction, figured out what was up, bodged it with an old crisp packet believe it or not :lol: , got us to a Vauxhall Dealers somewhere near Bristol I think and managed to get another diaphragm off the shelf from the parts dept. One of the fitters even fitted it for him FOC while they made my Mam a cuppa to give my dad a chance to clean himself up after getting covered in crap doing the bodge.

Wonder if any Vaux dealer would do that nowadays............errrr NO :lol: :lol: :lol:
I remember those Strombergs :lol: I had mine tuned/balanced up by a place called A19 test tune, 30 years plus ago :lol: My Magnum went like a $hit off a stick too, well at least I think it did back then. Very good road handling generally. I'm feeling old :lol: I also remember the Victors, same engine I believe within a heavier car. My gearstick had loads of play on it :lol: Mine would only jump out of third when I pushed it into 4rth at a high speed :lol:
Believe it or not, I still very much like my current K, especially when it stays reliable :D
Had to put a pic up of a Firenza droopsnoot. I think the front of the Astra L looks slightly the same? Same bonnet lines as the L?


1900sr wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:45 pm
Fif000 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:26 pm

Do people in the uk talk about the new Manta or is just a German thing ?


There has been some talk within the UK about both the restomod electric Manta A, as well as the proposed new EV Manta. There have been some pics of what the new Manta would look like, but not sure if they were from Opel or someone speculating what it would look like. Whatever the "new" Manta looks like, I'll stick with my original one.

Very nice looking car.

opel_astra_hybrid-700x467.jpeg

vauxhall-heritage-2014-firenza-55a4f04931cbf.jpg


Post Reply