Crunchynut
Astra Model: Elite 1.6 diesel 136

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by Crunchynut » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:09 pm

philim wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:03 am
Pompeydave wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:28 am
I think we are in (football talk) division 2/3 at the moment compared to the likes of Audi / bmw / merc sitting in the premiership .

Yes we can get promoted but we need huge investment , new better improved models and a manager to take us there.

Back to car talk , we need the next corsa to compete with VW polo , Astra has to be on par at least with the golf , grandland x up with the Tiguan etc etc.

Icing on the cake is the new ID range from VW , superb cars that the press are loving. A few months ago what car had VW,s future ID range listed , my god they have something for everyone from small suv to coupe , large suv to super mini - someone’s on the ball and is investing big time at VW.
Vw are an awesome group.
According to this article they are the most en-debted company in the world, so hard for PSA to match that level of investment.

https://thereformedbroker.com/2020/07/2 ... -on-earth/
Elite 1.6 CDTi 136ps Hatch

philim

Post by philim » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:17 pm

Crunchynut wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:09 pm
philim wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:03 am
Pompeydave wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:28 am
I think we are in (football talk) division 2/3 at the moment compared to the likes of Audi / bmw / merc sitting in the premiership .

Yes we can get promoted but we need huge investment , new better improved models and a manager to take us there.

Back to car talk , we need the next corsa to compete with VW polo , Astra has to be on par at least with the golf , grandland x up with the Tiguan etc etc.

Icing on the cake is the new ID range from VW , superb cars that the press are loving. A few months ago what car had VW,s future ID range listed , my god they have something for everyone from small suv to coupe , large suv to super mini - someone’s on the ball and is investing big time at VW.
Vw are an awesome group.
According to this article they are the most en-debted company in the world, so hard for PSA to match that level of investment.

https://thereformedbroker.com/2020/07/2 ... -on-earth/
In the next few years theyve got to transform from a heavily bloated sales model selling ice into an electric more fleet of foot leaner sales business. The model is very wasteful currently

Fif000

Post by Fif000 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:26 pm

I think its time for a generation of new drivers who are entering the car market for the first time to be introduced to a specter of high quality vehicles, at a higher price than it is today.

Then perhaps over time the impact of GM cost cutting days will be replaced by nice funky reliable cars. I think the new Mokka and corsa were step in the right direction. When it comes to e-vehicles i think every manufacturer will be put to the test and if the new e versions of astra and insignia come at par with VW - then Vauxhall luck can completely turn around. But lets see what Vauxhall SUVs are about to come in future.

Do people in the uk talk about the new Manta or is just a German thing ?

One more optimistic thought - I think the current PSA boss has proven he knows the business so we can hope for bright future and nice future astras :)

Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Boroboy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:41 pm

Fif000 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:26 pm
I think its time for a generation of new drivers who are entering the car market for the first time to be introduced to a specter of high quality vehicles, at a higher price than it is today.

Then perhaps over time the impact of GM cost cutting days will be replaced by nice funky reliable cars. I think the new Mokka and corsa were step in the right direction. When it comes to e-vehicles i think every manufacturer will be put to the test and if the new e versions of astra and insignia come at par with VW - then Vauxhall luck can completely turn around. But lets see what Vauxhall SUVs are about to come in future.

One more optimistic thought - I think the current PSA boss has proven he knows the business so we can hope for bright future and nice future astras :)
"Manta", what a cracking name and a very good idea.
I've got an even better one for Stellantis, hope they're listening? "Magnum" :D As I previously owned one, well they brought back the "Viva", too.

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by Pompeydave » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:49 pm

Boroboy wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:41 pm
Fif000 wrote:

I've got an even better one for Stellantis, hope they're listening? "Magnum" :D As I previously owned one, well they brought back the "Viva", too.
Great to hear the manta name again , my dad had one as a company car in the early 80,s , berlinetta model (now there’s a name !) , his company couldn’t quite stretch to the gte model but he was happy with what was on offer .

Maybe Carlton or royale might make a comeback ?

Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Boroboy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:01 pm

Pompeydave wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:49 pm
Boroboy wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:41 pm
Fif000 wrote:

Great to hear the manta name again , my dad had one as a company car in the early 80,s , berlinetta model (now there’s a name !) , his company couldn’t quite stretch to the gte model but he was happy with what was on offer .

Maybe Carlton or royale might make a comeback ?
Loved the look of the old "Mantas", back then. Never did have the cash then to buy one. The front of the Astra L reminds me a little of the "droopsnoot", if you can remember those too? I owned a Magnum 2.3 at 18. An Firenza droopsnoot was just out of my price range back then too :lol:
So I'd settle for either a Magnum or a Firenza return ;)
Maybe a new Tigra too.

nsanderson
Astra Model: 1.6T SRi 200 Nav
Astra Options: AGR seat, winter pack,parking sensors, spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by nsanderson » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:33 pm

There was some talk about the Manta recently:
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxhall/ ... mile-range

That was a car that was always an Opel?
1.6T (200) SRi Nav - Power Red, AGR seat, winter pack, parking sensors, spare wheel,

Fif000

Post by Fif000 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:42 pm

I had to google those vauxhall models to see them! That was nice.
Wow the Berlinetta looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Yes it looks like the Manta was just Opel; just checked. It was similar to Vauxhall Firenza (or next gen). Anyhow I hope I get a chance to test one when they come out; even for a day

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t

Post by Pompeydave » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:50 pm

Yeah they are superb cars the old mantas , gt/j model , then berlinetta , at top gte.
1.8i engine , went well.
My dads one was 1982 Y plate hatchback.
If these old names are coming back there’s the cavalier , calibra , chevette, Carlton , royale , senator etc to name but a few to choose from.
I would love to see a 1 off Lotus Carlton being made…..that’s some beast.

FredOnline
Astra Model: 1.4T 16V 150 SRI 5DR

Post by FredOnline » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:52 pm

I lusted over the Opel Monza, and I'm showing my age!