Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

The place to discuss everything else..
philim

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by philim » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:13 pm

Pompeydave wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:05 pm
It will take a long time for anybody to think Vauxhall / Opel is a premium brand.
Ask anybody now , it’s merely average .
Testers hate them , car shows hate them , journalist rarely like them and so on.
For Vauxhall to compete with merc / Audi / bmw let alone Vw they seriously need to up their stakes.
The above manufacturers are established premium brands , I doubt I will see Vauxhall talked about in the same light in my lifetime.
It can be done
I was part of the UK skoda team whoch helped transform that brand. I rate them above vw now.

Kia and hyundai have gone from cheap crap to mainstream in a few years.

Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Boroboy » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:01 pm

As I've previously said within the past, stick a 5 year manufacturers warranty on them from new, may help to restore some faith within the brand again. Not rocket science.

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by Pompeydave » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:18 am

I certainly rate Skoda quality , well put together cars and I certainly wouldn’t complain getting taken over from VW but with owners like PSA I can’t see VX being turned into a premium brand , I know anything’s possible but with the like,s of the corsa , crossland , grandland , mokka - these are average cars , not one stands out for being top of their class .If PSA want VX a premium brand there’s a hell of a lot of work to be done and it’s years away.

philim

Post by philim » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:44 am

philim wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:13 pm
Pompeydave wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:05 pm
It will take a long time for anybody to think Vauxhall / Opel is a premium brand.
Ask anybody now , it’s merely average .
Testers hate them , car shows hate them , journalist rarely like them and so on.
For Vauxhall to compete with merc / Audi / bmw let alone Vw they seriously need to up their stakes.
The above manufacturers are established premium brands , I doubt I will see Vauxhall talked about in the same light in my lifetime.
It can be done
I was part of the UK skoda team whoch helped transform that brand. I rate them above vw now.

Kia and hyundai have gone from cheap crap to mainstream in a few years.

Im not saying they can do it. Just that it can be done with the right team, product, investment etc.
PSA is a conglomerate of failed or failing brands all with bad reputations including Maserati and Alfa.
I know several senior bods in some of these brands and my hunch is they wont succeed.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:15 am

Within my opinion on a modern engine should be built to last for at least 10 years or 100k without any major issues occuring, if looked after correctly.
Building reliable cars would help with brand perception.
This is where Stellantis/vauxhall need to start. Get the basics right first.

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by Pompeydave » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:28 am

I think we are in (football talk) division 2/3 at the moment compared to the likes of Audi / bmw / merc sitting in the premiership .

Yes we can get promoted but we need huge investment , new better improved models and a manager to take us there.

Back to car talk , we need the next corsa to compete with VW polo , Astra has to be on par at least with the golf , grandland x up with the Tiguan etc etc.

Icing on the cake is the new ID range from VW , superb cars that the press are loving. A few months ago what car had VW,s future ID range listed , my god they have something for everyone from small suv to coupe , large suv to super mini - someone’s on the ball and is investing big time at VW.

philim

Post by philim » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:03 am

Pompeydave wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:28 am
I think we are in (football talk) division 2/3 at the moment compared to the likes of Audi / bmw / merc sitting in the premiership .

Yes we can get promoted but we need huge investment , new better improved models and a manager to take us there.

Back to car talk , we need the next corsa to compete with VW polo , Astra has to be on par at least with the golf , grandland x up with the Tiguan etc etc.

Icing on the cake is the new ID range from VW , superb cars that the press are loving. A few months ago what car had VW,s future ID range listed , my god they have something for everyone from small suv to coupe , large suv to super mini - someone’s on the ball and is investing big time at VW.
Vw are an awesome group.

Valer
Astra Model: 2019 1.0 T SRi Nav Hatch
Astra Colour: Mineral Black GB9

Post by Valer » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:06 am

philim wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:03 am
Vw are an awesome group.
Well they certainly had to balls to try and fool the world with the emissions cheats ;) :roll:
Astra Sri 1.0t Hatch,Astra SRi 1.6t Tourer
Diagnostic kit.Opcom 2020,Mongoose pro GM2 running 2020 GDS2

1900sr
Astra Model: ex 2015 SRi 1.0
Astra Options: None
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by 1900sr » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:42 pm

I have wondered for a good number of years whether Vauxhall had a future. I think it has in the UK as I think trying to re-introduce Opel to the UK would be a big task. They are going to have to improve the product and dealer support though, at launch everything looked rosy for the Astra K, decent reviews and European Car of the Year, but then the many problems, some minor, some major started to bite, and more and more people found out how bad the VX dealer network was.
I had a 2015 1.0i Turbo SRi, Power Red, now got a Honda.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:06 pm

Valer wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:06 am
philim wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:03 am
Vw are an awesome group.
Well they certainly had to balls to try and fool the world with the emissions cheats ;) :roll:
And it's cost them and their customers within the long run :lol: