Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

The place to discuss everything else..
nsanderson
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:30 am
Astra Model: 1.6T SRi 200 Nav
Astra Options: AGR seat, winter pack,parking sensors, spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power Red

Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by nsanderson » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:33 pm

With the new Astra L production being shifted to Opel's HQ in Germany, do you also feel like the Griffin's days are numbered?

All we'll be producing over here in the UK will be batteries so I wonder if there's any point keeping the Vauxhall brand alive? Why not just use Opel as the UK brand too?

Just wondering what everyone else thinks?
1.6T (200) SRi Nav - Power Red, AGR seat, winter pack, parking sensors, spare wheel,

Boroboy
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 pm
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red
Location: Guisborough, North Yorkshire.

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by Boroboy » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:07 pm

nsanderson wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:33 pm
With the new Astra L production being shifted to Opel's HQ in Germany, do you also feel like the Griffin's days are numbered?

All we'll be producing over here in the UK will be batteries so I wonder if there's any point keeping the Vauxhall brand alive? Why not just use Opel as the UK brand too?

Just wondering what everyone else thinks?
I don't think the brand is doomed, maybe some of the models will be. It's also a lot to do with fashion trends, people moving to SUV's too. I think proof would be in the pudding with regards to Astra L sales within the future and whether they'd be an Astra M to replace it.
I also believe reliability is important too, this is where vauxhall have suffered recently with certain engine types and some other recurrent reliability issues.
Yes Stellantis have no future plans to build vauxhall cars here or any mega battery factories.
I'd be happy if they used Opel, instead of Vauxhall now, as they're not really Vauxhalls anymore.

Alanw
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:20 pm
Astra Model: Sports tourer 1.6t
Astra Options: Ergonomic seats,mudflaps,spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power red

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by Alanw » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:23 pm

Mike Brewer hasn’t helped much by listing the Astra k among his WORST 5 cars NOT to buy for reliability in the U.K. on YOUTUBE.A big generalisation with no mention of engine types.
Power red 1.6t 200 sri nav. sports tourer, agr seats, spare wheel,mudflaps.

nsanderson
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:30 am
Astra Model: 1.6T SRi 200 Nav
Astra Options: AGR seat, winter pack,parking sensors, spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power Red

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by nsanderson » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:23 pm

@Boroboy Yeah, that's what I was meaning - I see the Vauxhall brand and Griffin badge disappearing and getting replaced with Opel and the Lightning Bolt instead. Makes life cheaper for Stellantis (one less badge design to make!)

You never know, but if the Germans are building the new Astra, maybe it'll be better built than the equivalent Peugeot! They may have a few improvements in mind... (wasn't there some talk about Opel tweaking the 1.6T?)
1.6T (200) SRi Nav - Power Red, AGR seat, winter pack, parking sensors, spare wheel,

nsanderson
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:30 am
Astra Model: 1.6T SRi 200 Nav
Astra Options: AGR seat, winter pack,parking sensors, spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power Red

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by nsanderson » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:39 pm

Alanw wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:23 pm
Mike Brewer hasn’t helped much by listing the Astra k among his WORST 5 cars NOT to buy for reliability in the U.K. on YOUTUBE.A big generalisation with no mention of engine types.
Yeah, the 1.4T & the 1.6D problems really have followed the K like an albatross round its neck. Given some of the stories on here, with good reason! I lost faith in my 1.4T after the tales of woe on here and experiencing what I assumed was LSPI on mine accompanied by some odd 'clang' noises!

Small wonder I swapped to the full-fat GM Europe, semi-old-school 1.6T!
1.6T (200) SRi Nav - Power Red, AGR seat, winter pack, parking sensors, spare wheel,

Valer
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:42 pm
Astra Model: 2019 1.0 T SRi Nav Hatch
Astra Colour: Mineral Black GB9

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by Valer » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:09 pm

Boroboy wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:07 pm
Yes Stellantis have no future plans to build vauxhall cars here or any mega battery factories.
I'd be happy if they used Opel, instead of Vauxhall now, as they're not really Vauxhalls anymore.

potentially a giga factory to go in at Ellesmere port,so maybe some hope,
https://www.chesterstandard.co.uk/news/ ... ort-plant/


i'd go along with Opel only,
after a lifetime of working for the Vx brand i think it's maybe time it went into retirement before the Vx name sinks even further,
it was certainly on the cards to be ditched by GM for Opel in the 1980's
Astra Sri 1.0t Hatch,Astra SRi 1.6t Tourer
Diagnostic kit.Opcom 2020,Mongoose pro GM2 running 2020 GDS2

philim
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:44 pm

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by philim » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:57 pm

The intention is to make it a premium mainstream brand so i would hope quality would be better than vauxhall. Tbh vauxhalls havent been great quality for years.

Pompeydave
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 2:42 pm
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver
Location: Bournemouth

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by Pompeydave » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:05 pm

It will take a long time for anybody to think Vauxhall / Opel is a premium brand.
Ask anybody now , it’s merely average .
Testers hate them , car shows hate them , journalist rarely like them and so on.
For Vauxhall to compete with merc / Audi / bmw let alone Vw they seriously need to up their stakes.
The above manufacturers are established premium brands , I doubt I will see Vauxhall talked about in the same light in my lifetime.

Boroboy
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 pm
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red
Location: Guisborough, North Yorkshire.

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by Boroboy » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:41 pm

Valer wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:09 pm
Boroboy wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:07 pm
Yes Stellantis have no future plans to build vauxhall cars here or any mega battery factories.
I'd be happy if they used Opel, instead of Vauxhall now, as they're not really Vauxhalls anymore.

potentially a giga factory to go in at Ellesmere port,so maybe some hope,
https://www.chesterstandard.co.uk/news/ ... ort-plant/


i'd go along with Opel only,
after a lifetime of working for the Vx brand i think it's maybe time it went into retirement before the Vx name sinks even further,
it was certainly on the cards to be ditched by GM for Opel in the 1980's
Fingers crossed for the factory.

Boroboy
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 pm
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red
Location: Guisborough, North Yorkshire.

Re: Do we think Vauxhall is doomed?

Post by Boroboy » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:59 pm

nsanderson wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:23 pm
@Boroboy Yeah, that's what I was meaning - I see the Vauxhall brand and Griffin badge disappearing and getting replaced with Opel and the Lightning Bolt instead. Makes life cheaper for Stellantis (one less badge design to make!)

You never know, but if the Germans are building the new Astra, maybe it'll be better built than the equivalent Peugeot! They may have a few improvements in mind... (wasn't there some talk about Opel tweaking the 1.6T?)
Is there any difference to MG & Landover/Jaguar being Chinese though? As there's money to be made within brand names, no matter where they're made.
The new L won't just be built within Germany, either. I can't see Vauxhall being a premium brand within the next 10 years or more. I see it being a lower/mid range brand now. Just about staying within the mid range category.

Post Reply