Just wondering.......

The place to discuss everything else..
cooldad
Astra Model: 1.6 SRi Turbo 200PS
Astra Options: 18" Alloys + IntelliLux LED Matrix Headlights
Astra Colour: Power Red

Just wondering.......

Post by cooldad » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:34 pm

Bit of a rhetorical question, but I'm just wondering whether it's actually worth my having a car?

Its two year service is approaching (in about 6 weeks' time) and I've only covered 9700 miles / 15.600 km! :o :shock: Being an 'old git' and living in a London suburb, I don't pay for public transport and it's mostly easier to get around in that way. On other occasions, however, it's sometimes convenient to jump in the Astra to visit two of my kids, who live in S Wales, not to mention a few of my friends, who live only slightly nearer in the West Country.

Problem is, I love my car; it's fantastic fun to drive and I'd be very reluctant to get rid of it. Obviously, only I can resolve this dilemma, but what would you do in my situation?

Cheers!
Astra 1.6 SRi Turbo 200 PS / 150 kW, Power Red.
'Intellilux' headlights, 18 in / 45 cm bi-colour alloys, driving assistance pack, advanced parking pack.

Ivanzu
Astra Model: 1.4T

Re: Just wondering.......

Post by Ivanzu » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:55 pm

I'd keep it. I only do 3000km a year, gonna take 3 years for my car to fully break-in. :mrgreen:

AdieMcc
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4T 150
Astra Options: Reversing sensors
Astra Colour: Black

Post by AdieMcc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:11 pm

I’d miss the freedom of having a car...wouldn’t like getting on a smelly bus with the peasants :lol:
Astra K 1.4T 150 Nav. Black,18" wheels, sensors front/back, heated seats/steering wheel, shark fin aerial, washed every 2 days :D

moleyjoel
Astra Model: Elite Nav 1.6t (200) MY17.5
Astra Options: Intellilux, 18” Bi-Colour, Parking Pack, AGR Seats
Astra Colour: Mineral Black

Post by moleyjoel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:44 pm

I sold my previous car privately before I took delivery of my new Astra, as I got way more than the part exchange value the dealer offered. So I was without a car for 2 weeks.

It doesn’t sound long to be without a car, I don’t use it for work, and only do about 4,000 miles a year...however, I felt so lost without a car, as Adie says, it’s just having that freedom to jump in the car and go! Without having to plan times around buses/trains etc.

I would probably only consider getting rid of my car if I lost my job and couldn’t afford to run it.
Elite Nav 1.6t (200) Mineral Black MY17.5
Intellilux LED, 18” Bi-Colour Alloys, Advanced Parking Pack, AGR Sport Seats

PACMANIA

Post by PACMANIA » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:26 pm

Cool I’m like you low mileage user will take 2 more years to reach 20,000 miles as I get free travel on London transport so does my partner. I now treat my car like a hire car don’t used it much but it there in case I need it. But I’m glad I have it. Look at it this way. By the time the new plate come next year 19 and 69plate . Those guys will rack up 20k in a year b4 I reach it if you get my drift

Grumpy1954

Post by Grumpy1954 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:06 pm

When I was younger I joined the Armed Forces, sold my motorcycle thinking between military travel passes and London Transport (my mother lived at Stockwell, South London) I wouldn't miss it. Before I had the bike I was using buses and the Underground to get places. I soon missed the bike,, out of basic training I was 100 miles north of London, had most weekends off and hitchhiking in to wherever I could get, nearest train or bus station being some distance and then fighting my way across buses and trains soon got a PITA. Later on, civvy and married, job within long walking distance, my car failed it's MoT. A couple of weeks walking to work and back and shopping by bus while I did the needed repairs and I soon realised how I missed the freedom of being able to jump in the car and go straight to somewhere and back

Prince of Darkness
Astra Model: 1.4 T 150ps auto
Astra Options: Third party fitted front and rear parking sensors
Astra Colour: Summit white

Post by Prince of Darkness » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:40 pm

I am also an OAP and the best thing I get from owning a car is the freedom it gives me to go where I want and when I want and not be dependent on public transport. I do about 5000 a year and is the main reason I got an Astra 1.4T 150ps Auto. Low road fund licence cost and great mpg plus of course insurance is cheap.

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:35 pm

Perhaps the question should be.
Can I justify having such a nice expensive car rather than simply justifying having a car. Many cheaper, older cars out there, but would you enjoy them as much?. You have probably worked hard and saved much, so why not enjoy it, you can't take it with you as they say. Treat it as the other women or a hobby , that is how I look at it.
Many of my work colleagues have said I wouldn't spend that much on a new car, but I beg to differ with them. They wash their car once to my 20 times. I enjoy my car as I am sure you do.

cooldad
Astra Model: 1.6 SRi Turbo 200PS
Astra Options: 18" Alloys + IntelliLux LED Matrix Headlights

Post by cooldad » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:33 am

Thanks for all your replies so far, everyone! :)

As I've just said in a private text to PAC, I've pretty much decided to keep it. Childish, I know, but one of the reasons would be missing the sheer joy of 'burning off' some of the little 'yobbo' cars from the lights (we get a lot of them in SE London - very dark tinted windows, an exhaust pipe you could fit a small dog in to, blue headlights, which they think look like HIDs, rap music emanating from the open windows, the bass vibrating the doors, baseball-capped driver who looks about 10 years old sitting miles back in his seat, you get the picture ;)) Anyway, I love seeing their shocked faces in my rear view mirror, with them no doubt wondering how an old boy in a fairly innocuous looking Astra can leave them standing!

Incidentally, my younger son has my old Subaru Impreza and I still get to have a little go in that on occasions but, technology aside, the Astra actually drives better than the Subaru overall, IMO.

Yeah, it's a great car, so I reckon I'm going to hang on to it! :) :)
Astra 1.6 SRi Turbo 200 PS / 150 kW, Power Red.
'Intellilux' headlights, 18 in / 45 cm bi-colour alloys, driving assistance pack, advanced parking pack.

Chris
Astra Model: Elite Nav
Astra Options: Driver Assist and Parking Pack
Astra Colour: Emerald Green

Post by Chris » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:36 pm

I am in a similar position to you Cooldad, and I just take the attitude that I am very lucky - I can afford it. I love the freedom to just jump in my car and go where I want. I would never join a car club as I drive an auto. It must sound like a smug old git but when one of my brother in laws asked me why I bought a brand new car my reply was "because I can".

But as someone else mentioned - we have worked hard all our working lives so enjoy it.
Chris
Astra 1.4. Turbo Automatic Elite NAV with Drivers Assist and Parking Pack. Emerald Green

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”