Viable turnaround plan

The place to discuss everything else..
Finston Pickle
Astra Model: 1.6 Petrol Turbo SRI Nav Sports tourer
Astra Options: AGR seats;Wntr Pk;Sp Whl;S/Rf;Tints;CD plyr;P/Sens
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Viable turnaround plan

Post by Finston Pickle » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:10 am

I see from this week's Auto Express that Vauxhall and Opel CEO Michael Lohscheller has to present a viable turnaround plan in November to Carlos Tavares, Chairman of PSA.

It got me thinking - What a job!

What have I seen so far:

A progressive reduction of features and cost from the product led revival, European car of the year, Astra K. Removal of things like the Acoustic pack, Watts linkages, one year Wi-Fi trial, fog lights, rear seat levers in boot (ST), 12 V outlet in boot (ST), original SRI steering wheel etc. etc.

Introduction of the Insignia range without featuring the 1.6 MGE petrol turbo engine, which would have made an excellent base petrol engine.

Issues with the 1.4 petrol turbo SGE engine - will the 1.5 in the Insignia be better? - I hope so.

The introduction of a strange and partially conflicting range of SUVs, where the best performance is given by the cheapest Crossland X petrol model £18,290, then Mokka £18,860 and the worst by the most expensive Grandland X petrol model £22,310 - and they are all within ~2 inches of the same length (auto Express figures).

Does anyone have any good ideas to help Michael? - I tried but failed.
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

karlos
Astra Model: 1.4T Elite
Astra Colour: Summit White

Re: Viable turnaround plan

Post by karlos » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:59 pm

Add to that their failure to produce a flagship performance model of their European Car of the Year.

cooldad
Astra Model: 1.6 SRi Turbo 200PS
Astra Options: 18" Alloys + IntelliLux LED Matrix Headlights
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by cooldad » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:27 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:10 am
What have I seen so far:

A progressive reduction of features and cost from the product led revival, European car of the year, Astra K. Removal of things like the Acoustic pack, Watts linkages, one year Wi-Fi trial, fog lights, rear seat levers in boot (ST), 12 V outlet in boot (ST), original SRI steering wheel etc. etc.

Well summarised, Finston!!

The other day I was trying to think and list in my head all of the features that no longer appear in the latest Ks, but you've eloquently done it for me! I presume you're comparing model for model. Didn't realise fog lights had dropped over the cliff :o :shock: :?

It's always nice to have a new car, but it seems that I bought mine at the right time :D ;) ;)
Astra 1.6 SRi Turbo 200 PS / 150 kW, Power Red.
'Intellilux' headlights, 18 in / 45 cm bi-colour alloys, driving assistance pack, advanced parking pack.

Finston Pickle

Post by Finston Pickle » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:27 pm

I agree about timing - totally!
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

M1chaelR
Astra Model: SRi 1.4 Turbo Auto
Astra Options: Winter pack, Front and rear parking sensors
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by M1chaelR » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:33 am

The illustration on the configurator shows no fog lights on the SRI and above but they are still listed in the standard spec so I guess its just something up with the illustrations.
SRi 1.4 Turbo (150) Auto in Summit White. Parking sensors and Winter Pack

otj
Astra Model: Sports Tourer 1.4T M6 Innovation (Elite Nav)
Astra Options: AGR+leather+iLux+Nav (all except sunroof)
Astra Colour: Summit white

Post by otj » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:38 pm

Grandland X is bigger than Crossland or Mokka. I've also seen a couple of very positive reviews of the Grandland. It can be a really successful car and it is very competitively priced as well.

A comparison video of different SUVs:

https://youtu.be/TPNHxivoNko

Grandland X review:

https://youtu.be/U2jCRnW0ZQ8
Opel Astra Sports Tourer Innovation (Elite) 1.4T M6, Summit White.

Ordered: Opel Insignia B Sports Tourer Innovation 1.6 CDTI A6, Abalone white, AGR premium

Old: Astra J Sports Tourer Sport (SRi) 1.4T M6 2013

Finston Pickle

Post by Finston Pickle » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:42 pm

Auto express has the wrong Grandland length - appologies on Auto Express's behalf - the other two are 68mm apart (if you believe AE figures).

The best 0-60 performance figures do seem to be the inverse of price for the petrol models (again if you believe AE figures).

otj

Post by otj » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:15 pm

Opel will switch to PSA engines soon.

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2017 ... serAgent=1

Will we even see PSA in engines in the current Astra K and Insignia B lineup?

Ordered: Opel Insignia B Sports Tourer Innovation 1.6 CDTI A6, Abalone white, AGR premium

JustJohn
Astra Model: 1.6 CDTi S/S SRi Sports Tourer
Astra Options: Steel Spare Wheel, Privacy Glass, Parking Sensors
Astra Colour: Mineral Black

Post by JustJohn » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:14 pm

I'm not sure we'll see PSA engines in current generation Astra or Insignia models, if only because they're under contract to supply Astras to Holden and Insignias to Holden and I think Buick. Producing 2 different but otherwise identical cars in the same plant would I guess add a whole new level of complexity, especially at the point where both models are in production, supply chains are established and whole-life contracts may well be in place with suppliers.

I suspect the first PSAised Opel or Vauxhall will arrive as the Corsa replacement, but in the meantime we'll probably see minor components switching across to PSA sourced product.

otj

Post by otj » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:36 pm

That's true. The new Insignia B models will be all built in Rüsselsheim, also the Buick and Holden models. Buick and Holden have the 2.8 V6 with 9-speed auto available, but I think they also have the 2.0 turbo with the new 8-speed Aisin automatic and four wheel drive. Let's hope PSA will use GM engines and powertrains at the end of Astra K and Insignia B model life.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”