Opinions on Halfords Advanced 200 Pc Socket

The place to discuss everything else..
stc954
Astra Model: K Elite Turbo 2017
Astra Colour: Grey

Opinions on Halfords Advanced 200 Pc Socket

Post by stc954 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:46 pm

Hi guys, I am looking to buy a toolset, I want this to be a long-term investment. Though I am not a mechanic, I do most of the work on my car, from suspension parts to fluid changes. So I want a decent toolset. I am currently looking at:

I just have two questions:

1- What's the quality of the Halfords advanced set? Do you recommend it?

2- Do you recommend the 200 pc or 175 pc set? By this question, I mean, is it worth the increase in price from the 175 pc set to the 200 pc set?

There are toolboxes being sold on Facebook marketplace, apparently "Germany" brands, with alot more tools. Such as:
  • Munich tool
  • Swiss Kraft
  • Kraft Muller
  • Widmann
  • IF tools
Are they better than the Halfords advanced sets, as far as quality goes? would you invest in them?

Thank you,

Shaky
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Elite Nav Sports Tourer
Astra Options: Agr Drivers Seat, Ilux lights, Parking Sensors,
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver OP189

Re: Opinions on Halfords Advanced 200 Pc Socket

Post by Shaky » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:34 am

I've had one of the Halfords advanced sets for about 10 years and it's never let me down. It has had some serious use in the past and always seems to come through it with flying colours. The only issue I find is that the 3/8 sockets can be a little on the shallow side if you've got fastenings that have a fair bit of thread still exposed but I've got plenty of spare 1/2 sockets that will usually cover that problem. They also seem to have changed their larger torx bits to individual bits that slot into a holder, rather than bits permanently embedded in a socket-case which will be handy if the fastener is recessed a bit more.

I bought mine during one of Halfords (seemingly regular) 50% discount offers so got a fairly comprehensive, guaranteed for life 150 pcs set for just over £100 :D

If you have tools already that will cover the basics, I would suggest waiting to see if Halfords have one of their offers come up as you can really save a fair bit of cash. If you've got the readies, I would get the 200pc set as if down the line you find the 175 pcs set wanting, buying separates will be expensive.

I would recommend them without question though as my lad bought a set as well just after me and has used it more than I have mine, broke the 1/4 ratchet from the set (not by abusing it either) and got it replaced by Halfords with a reasonably minimum amount of fuss.

I can't really comment on the other brands you've mentioned as I've never used any of them. Before the Halfords stuff I've bought over the years, I tended to stick with either Hilka, or if I was a bit more flush cash-wise, Draper or Teng.

There will be better sets out there of course but they do come with a hefty price tag, I reckon the Halfords advanced stuff is ideal for the home mechanic. Mine has certainly put up with what I've thrown at it
Mods - Bonnet Struts, 2nd boot light, Glovebox Light, Footwell Light (All LED) Fr & R Dashcams, Detachable Towbar with Battery Charging, 17" Alloy Spare.
I am Homer of Borg. Resistance is..............Hmmmm Doughnuts.

stc954
Astra Model: K Elite Turbo 2017
Astra Colour: Grey

Post by stc954 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:25 pm

Shaky wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:34 am
I've had one of the Halfords advanced sets for about 10 years and it's never let me down. It has had some serious use in the past and always seems to come through it with flying colours. The only issue I find is that the 3/8 sockets can be a little on the shallow side if you've got fastenings that have a fair bit of thread still exposed but I've got plenty of spare 1/2 sockets that will usually cover that problem. They also seem to have changed their larger torx bits to individual bits that slot into a holder, rather than bits permanently embedded in a socket-case which will be handy if the fastener is recessed a bit more.

I bought mine during one of Halfords (seemingly regular) 50% discount offers so got a fairly comprehensive, guaranteed for life 150 pcs set for just over £100 :D

If you have tools already that will cover the basics, I would suggest waiting to see if Halfords have one of their offers come up as you can really save a fair bit of cash. If you've got the readies, I would get the 200pc set as if down the line you find the 175 pcs set wanting, buying separates will be expensive.

I would recommend them without question though as my lad bought a set as well just after me and has used it more than I have mine, broke the 1/4 ratchet from the set (not by abusing it either) and got it replaced by Halfords with a reasonably minimum amount of fuss.

I can't really comment on the other brands you've mentioned as I've never used any of them. Before the Halfords stuff I've bought over the years, I tended to stick with either Hilka, or if I was a bit more flush cash-wise, Draper or Teng.

There will be better sets out there of course but they do come with a hefty price tag, I reckon the Halfords advanced stuff is ideal for the home mechanic. Mine has certainly put up with what I've thrown at it
Thank you so much Shaky. I read your post and went to Halfords straight away :lol: , it got me sold. To be honest, my old halfords set doesn't have a variety and most of it is missing :lol:. So I just brought myself one. I am really happy with the set too. Its much much better than my old one.

Shaky
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Elite Nav Sports Tourer
Astra Options: Agr Drivers Seat, Ilux lights, Parking Sensors,
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver OP189

Post by Shaky » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:47 pm

Nice one :D I'm sure it will give you years of service :mrgreen:
Mods - Bonnet Struts, 2nd boot light, Glovebox Light, Footwell Light (All LED) Fr & R Dashcams, Detachable Towbar with Battery Charging, 17" Alloy Spare.
I am Homer of Borg. Resistance is..............Hmmmm Doughnuts.