Toyota corolla 2.0 hybrid

The place to discuss everything else..
Tankie96
Astra Model: ST Dynamic (SRI) 1.4t 150 ps. 2016
Astra Options: Power tailgate,AGR seats,winter pack,navi
Astra Colour: Coconuss braun

Toyota corolla 2.0 hybrid

Post by Tankie96 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:24 am

Has anyone driven this car yet? I must say that it looks quite nice and now with the 2.0 hybrid has much more oomph-180 bhp. But still with decent fuel economy.

Markot1989
Astra Model: 1.6t 200 SRI
Astra Colour: Black

Re: Toyota corolla 2.0 hybrid

Post by Markot1989 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:39 am

Tankie96 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:24 am
Has anyone driven this car yet? I must say that it looks quite nice and now with the 2.0 hybrid has much more oomph-180 bhp. But still with decent fuel economy.
Only driven the predecessor plus every other hybrid in the Toyota range around 2017 (including the Mirai hydrogen powered effort).
The Auris 1.8 was alright, very quick off the line thanks to the instant torque but suffered a little at higher speeds. Fuel economy was decent enough on a long run. I did a high speed run between Glasgow and Edinburgh in one which yielded 53mpg. The Corolla has the "next gen" of hybrid engines so I would assume the fuel economy will be similar, they have also raise the speed at which the hybrid will keep the battery engage, iirc it should be c80 mph now on the 1.8 / 2.0 /2.5 models. My assumption is that this will have a similar type of grunt to the Rav 4 2.5 Hybrid, which is pretty impressive.

If you haven't driven a car with a CVT gearbox or a hybrid before you might find it odd, the brakes take a bit of getting used to for example. The CVT gearbox can feel a little like driving a boat, put the footdown and the revs shoot up and stay there. However, it is very smooth. Personally they aren't for me, even with the pseudo gearing that you can change trying to mimic a normal semi-auto box.

I can totally appreciate why people like them, and would recommend the Toyota style of system to anyone looking for a hybrid as it yields better real world results than the plug ins if you cover distance.

Tankie96
Astra Model: ST Dynamic (SRI) 1.4t 150 ps. 2016
Astra Options: Power tailgate,AGR seats,winter pack,navi
Astra Colour: Coconuss braun

Post by Tankie96 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:42 pm

Cheers for the detailed reply, I doubt I'll be changing anytime soon but may look at a test drive to see the difference between one and what I currently have.

Alanw
Astra Model: Sports tourer 1.6t
Astra Options: Ergonomic seats,mudflaps,spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power red

Post by Alanw » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:16 pm

I had a ride in one as a passenger with a friend who was considering buying one,but we both came away with the same opinion.the cvt was dreadful,taking the edge off the performance and creating a lot of noise.its a nice looking car but personally I couldn’t live with that awful gearbox.
Power red 1.6t 200 sri nav. sports tourer, agr seats, spare wheel,mudflaps.

AC2019
Astra Model: Astra SRi NAV 1.6 CDTI (136)
Astra Options: 18" Colour Alloys, Driving Asistance Pack.
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by AC2019 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:26 pm

I actually agree, I love the styling of the new Corolla and I too, was more interested when I heard about the 2.0L option.

6 Months ago, I had a Toyota Auris Hybrid 1.8L on a business trip for a week. Fuel was 54MPG. For a 500mile trip, which wasnt bad, considering I 'ragged it'.
The CVT is definitely for lazy driving. Around town is when it's most comfortable and genuinely, it is pleasant to drive. Motorway driving, anything over 60mph and it sounds like a Hairdryer when overtaking. Steering is actually nicely weighed. The brakes were good and had regeneration. The Traction control was terrible, I was stuck in some mud and it was absolutely pathetic. My Astra would have easily dealt with it.
The massive let down, was the infotainment! My god, that was not intuitive, and I found a lot of the buttons were scattered at random.

Overall, I'm glad I had the chance to have the Auris for a week, and I've definitely concluded the CVT is not for me.
Vx Astra SRi NAV 1.6 CDTi (136). Summit white. 18" Bi-Colour Alloys, Driving Assitance Pack. Light and Sight Pack. Plated 2016. Mileage (25k/yr)

Finston Pickle
Astra Model: 1.6 Petrol Turbo SRI Nav Sports tourer
Astra Options: AGR seats;Wntr Pk;Sp Whl;S/Rf;Tints;CD plyr;P/Sens
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Finston Pickle » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:16 pm

I also thought that the 2.0 litre hybrid Corolla (especially the Touring Sports) would be worth a look (I used to have Totyotas for many years - good reliable cars).

Having said that, as I already have the Astra K 1.6 petrol turbo SRI Sports Tourer, which also looks good, has a good "cab forward" design, handles really well, is quiet (even under acceleration), is comfortable and roomy, is lightweight, with low insurance in spite of 0-60 mph in 7 seconds and, remarkably, does 45 mpg (50+ on the motorway) - why bother?

I think that I will keep my money and stick with my Astra K "Q car" until it becomes unreliable.

Perhaps lightweight and not hybrid cars would have been a better way forward.
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

MrSM82
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 SRi Nav (Auto)
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Post by MrSM82 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:06 pm

I'm much more interested in this GR Yaris :D :D https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/toyota-gr-yaris-hot-hatch-unveiled-257bhp-turbo-engine

Finston Pickle
Astra Model: 1.6 Petrol Turbo SRI Nav Sports tourer
Astra Options: AGR seats;Wntr Pk;Sp Whl;S/Rf;Tints;CD plyr;P/Sens
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Finston Pickle » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:37 pm

I think that the GR Yaris will be "reassuringly expensive"!

Seriously, it seems that with the new EU legislation coming in 2020, the likes of the GR Yaris (high powered light small cars) will become an endangered species.

The moral is - if you want one, buy it whilst you can.
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

MrSM82
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 SRi Nav (Auto)
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Post by MrSM82 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:16 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:37 pm
I think that the GR Yaris will be "reassuringly expensive"!

Seriously, it seems that with the new EU legislation coming in 2020, the likes of the GR Yaris (high powered light small cars) will become an endangered species.

The moral is - if you want one, buy it whilst you can.
Yes, probably going to be £30k at least. Seems like it will be a lot of fun though.

Markot1989
Astra Model: 1.6t 200 SRI
Astra Colour: Black

Post by Markot1989 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:58 am

Read something the other day saying if your directly exchange the price quoted in Yen it comes in around £28500 although they suspect it will be nudging over £30k when it hits our shores.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”