Why does Vauxhall have bad reputation in the UK?

The place to discuss everything else..
Gradory

Re: Why does Vauxhall have bad reputation in the UK?

Post by Gradory » Wed May 23, 2018 12:59 pm

Now it is clear for me. It is not Vauxhall itself, but old British comedies, sketches, Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson where all the bashing come from. It seems as if I have watched and read too many of them. At least they have been good for learning English. I visited the UK once only over 20 years ago, I spent there merely a month and I did not talk much about cars then.

MrSM82
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 SRi Nav (Auto)
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Post by MrSM82 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:46 pm

I think it's an 'image' thing. They are just seen as 'ordinary', 'boring' or 'mundane', often by people who have never driven one. People see German cars or, for some people, Japanese performance cars as more desirable. Maybe familiarity has bred contempt?

Ivanzu
Astra Model: 1.4T
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by Ivanzu » Wed May 23, 2018 7:58 pm

Except Vauxhall is pretty much german since its a rebadged Opel, its enough to open the bonnet and see that its mostly made from german or japanese parts.

Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.6d (136) SRI NAV AUTO
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Boroboy » Wed May 23, 2018 10:58 pm

I don't think Vauxhall is any worse than most other brands out there. Although no doubt soon they'll all be sharing PSA/Peugeot platforms & parts. I'm quite happy for them to depreciate, makes them cheaper to buy within the used market, I usually buy a car anywhere from 1-3 years of age.
I too have owned many Vauxhalls from the mid 80's, my first Vauxhall being a used Vauxhall magnum 2.3, when I was 18 years of age. I've owned lots of Astras, from mk2's to my current K. If I could think of on weakness on a Vauxhall, then it would probably be the m32 gearbox, had a few of them too, in the past.
Astra 1.6d (136) SRI NAV AUTO

MrSM82
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 SRi Nav (Auto)
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Post by MrSM82 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:32 pm

Ivanzu wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:58 pm
Except Vauxhall is pretty much german since its a rebadged Opel, its enough to open the bonnet and see that its mostly made from german or japanese parts.
I know but the vast majority of the public don't see it that way. A lot of people don't know much about cars beyond the brand and where it is from.

Old Codger
Astra Model: Tech Line Nav 1.4T (125)
Astra Options: 17" Alloy wheels
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by Old Codger » Fri May 25, 2018 7:40 am

I've no complaints against Vauxhall, this is my third Astra in a row, F, G, and now K. I think it's all down to some dealerships and their attitude, I've dealt with a family owned firm for the last 20 years and they've been brilliant.
Studying at the University of Life

Flipper
Astra Model: 1.0T 12V SRi 2017
Astra Options: Spare wheel, parking sensors
Astra Colour: Lava Red

Post by Flipper » Fri May 25, 2018 11:56 pm

Personally as someone who has just come back to the brand after 20+ years away, it's because when new Vauxhall models have come out, they in the main have generally been seen as sort of mid table in their sector, not breaking any new ground, so as the models' life has gone on they have been left behind. I think that years of dominating with Ford, the fleet market, also meant that dealers didn't have to try too hard to sell cars so their after sales was frankly pretty dreadful, compared with what Nissan, Toyata et al would give you. One of the reasons it's been so long between Vauxhalls, the service I received with my last one was pretty dire, both from the dealer (long gone) and Vauxhall themselves.

davesd1
Astra Model: Elite 1.6 Diesel 136
Astra Options: Parking sensors
Astra Colour: Lava Red

Post by davesd1 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:25 pm

I passed my test in '76 and this is the first Vauxhall I've owned.Generally, Vauxhall always seemed to be labelled as rot-boxes,but to be fair no worse than say Fords or Hillmans at the time.
I remember the Ford dealer messing me about in 1990 when i'd ordered a Sierra Estate.The boss at the dealership loaned me the saleswomans car because she'd told lies about the delivery hold-up.I found her house keys in the car and threw them out the window on the Aston expressway on the way home,as revenge.
My other car is a Rover SD1,books have been written on how bad they were.Anyway,back to Vauxhall,i would have another Astra and would recommend them to anyone considering buying one.Dealership,no problems,delivered a couple of days earlier than expected and in A1 condition,not like the Sierra with broken glass on the back seat.

Dannyruss1
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4 Energy 100hp 5 door
Astra Options: On Star
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by Dannyruss1 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:01 pm

I grew up in Halesowen and Stourbridge not to far from the Longbridge factory of BL. All around here many had BL products, but Vauxhall and Fords were common as well. I know in the 60s and 70s Vauxhall cars were slated by many because of terrible problems with rust and build quality, but were not much different to other cars of that time (Fords and many BL products were known to dissolve). They suffered badly with depreciation and the rust problem was a major issue with purchasers, but many were capable cars and for me, the FD Victor and Firenza were works of art and Wayne Cherry at his best.
The reputation over Vauxhall started to lift with the Cavalier mk2, Astra mk2 and cars from then. Both Astra and Cavalier were competent in the fleet and private sales and then subsequent cars. My parents bought Vauxhall since 1983 (it raised some eyebrows in a BL family!) and we have now had 18 in the family including an Astra K. My dad and brothers and I have found Vauxhalls to be reliable and well made generally and we havent had major faults as some have. I agree that Jeremy Clarkson, Quentin Wilson and the motoring press bashed Vauxhalls and seemed to praise up Fords which were not any better. It hit not only Vauxhall but Rover and was unfair. I have had 2 Fords and never had a major issue with the first one, then my second had clutch DMF and gearbox failure at 13000 miles.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”