Why change stock headlight bulbs?

The place to discuss everything else..
mrtailorson_
Astra Model: CDTI 1.6 (136 PS)
Astra Options: Enjoy (a.k.a not much)
Astra Colour: Power Red

Why change stock headlight bulbs?

Post by mrtailorson_ » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:54 am

i also follow a turkish astra k forum and there is this rush on changing the stock headlight bulbs. i genuinely would like to know why. can you not see ahead with stock ones? i miss the days when xenon and HID headlights weren't invented yet where they did not drill through your eyes and burn through your soul
*** transmission end ***

Steve
Astra Model: 1.4 150PS Enjoy (Danish spec), Hatch, 16.5
Astra Options: Factory: Tint, climate, LED tail, fogs, armrest
Astra Colour: Power Red

Re: Why change stock headlight bulbs?

Post by Steve » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:59 am

My guess is people prefer a whiter look. I did actually buy some Philips WhiteVision bulbs ages ago, not long after I got the car; but I haven't actually bothered to fit them, I just have them in the boot as spares...
ImageImage Astra K 1.4T 150 PS hatch, manual

ScotsDude
Astra Model: SRI 1.6 CDTI 175bhp
Astra Options: Nav
Astra Colour: Flipchip Silver

Post by ScotsDude » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:34 pm

As stock ones are crap at night,cab see further and better spread of light after changing.

Astraboy2017

Post by Astraboy2017 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:05 am

Its an option that should have been standard as they are coming on all other cars as standard. So i dnt blame people to use white lights. Pluse they are not as blinding as all astras come with angel headlights. So win win
Astra G
H
And now Astra K

aaaaplay
Astra Model: RS-V 1.6T
Astra Options: Touring Pack (Adaptive Cruise/Sunroof)
Astra Colour: Nitrate Silver

Post by aaaaplay » Thu May 17, 2018 2:40 pm

Just because the Astra has projectors doesn't mean the light isn't blinding to other drivers. Our halogen lights have manual adjustment where as most factory Xenon systems have ballasts, auto levelling and washer systems for a reason.

The auto levelling adjusts so that other drivers aren't blinded when you go over a crest or bump in the road. Unless your constantly adjusting the manual levelling your still blinding others.

Then the washer system serves to remove debris from the front of your headlight, those debris cause light to refract and again blind people. It also demists the front of the headlight.

While you'll notice the factory LED headlights can dim portions of the beam to not affect other drivers, something aftermarket LED products will most likely never be able to achieve.

Without these key feature you blind someone else driving in the other direction.

I was reasonably happy with the stock bulbs but I did upgrade to Osram Night Breakers and they're amazing, plus replacing the H7 bulb is easy and the high beam is even easier.

Finston Pickle
Astra Model: 1.6 Petrol Turbo SRI Nav Sports tourer
Astra Options: AGR seats;Wntr Pk;Sp Whl;S/Rf;Tints;CD plyr;P/Sens
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Finston Pickle » Fri May 18, 2018 7:03 pm

I've been surprised how good the standard lights are - especially when so many think they are dire. Having said that, I don't do a lot of night driving, so I don't have high expectations of night being like day.

Probably not as good as Zenons - but projection of 70 -100 yards and a good spread of light where you need it satisfies me - you can easily read road signs etc. I also like the control of beam height that it gives you - rather than auto, which seems to often err on the "too close to the car" side when dipped.
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

Grumpy1954

Post by Grumpy1954 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:47 pm

I had to come back from a hospital appointment in full dark one evening on B roads, I was horrified by how poor the dip beam was. vauxhall seem to set it far to low (had previous experience of it) so first I parked on flat ground and marked where the dip beam hit, then turned the interior (load leveller) adjuster down 2 clicks, back round the front and raised the beams to the early marks with the manual adjusters, and put the interior adjuster back on 0. (from experience seems about right)
I can now see when it's dark and have never been flashed. I did also fit Osram Nightbreakers, just to see if they made and further improvement, but the main one is raise the dip beam to where it should be.

BRUCE225
Astra Model: ASTRA SRI VX-LINE NAV
Astra Colour: DEEP SKY BLUE

Post by BRUCE225 » Sat May 19, 2018 4:06 pm

Grumpy1954 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:47 pm
I had to come back from a hospital appointment in full dark one evening on B roads, I was horrified by how poor the dip beam was. vauxhall seem to set it far to low (had previous experience of it)
Read somewhere they should check this on the PDI before handing it over, but is commonly forgotten about..

Grumpy1954

Post by Grumpy1954 » Sat May 19, 2018 5:02 pm

BRUCE225 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 4:06 pm
Grumpy1954 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:47 pm
I had to come back from a hospital appointment in full dark one evening on B roads, I was horrified by how poor the dip beam was. vauxhall seem to set it far to low (had previous experience of it)
Read somewhere they should check this on the PDI before handing it over, but is commonly forgotten about..
yes, quite so. I was sent out for a test drive in an Astra straight off the transporter, not road prepared, none of the safety stuff enabled and the tyres at something like 60psi. Gave the car a unique feel

Brendenlee666
Astra Model: K elite
Astra Options: 18" bi colour tinted glass led tail lights
Astra Colour: Deep sky blue

Post by Brendenlee666 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:55 pm

Oem bulbs are shit

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”