Chances of getting pulled over ?

The place to discuss everything else..
OOOOP

Chances of getting pulled over ?

Post by OOOOP » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:36 am

What do you think my chances of getting pulled over for this (I don't know if the carbon style text is illegal or not ?)

cooldad
Astra Model: 1.6 SRi Turbo 200PS
Astra Options: 18" Alloys + IntelliLux LED Matrix Headlights
Astra Colour: Power Red

Re: Chances of getting pulled over ?

Post by cooldad » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:16 am

OOOOP wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:36 am
What do you think my chances of getting pulled over for this (I don't know if the carbon style text is illegal or not ?)

Not sure, mate. I think they're more fussy about the font itself and the spacing of the characters rather than their texture. Obvious question, but do you know any traffic old bill you could ask?

This link could also help and it mentions the regulations themselves. Have a look at:

https://www.plate-trader.com/blog/whats ... er-plates/
Astra 1.6 SRi Turbo 200 PS / 150 kW, Power Red.
'Intellilux' headlights, 18 in / 45 cm bi-colour alloys, driving assistance pack, advanced parking pack.

Scotty_b
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 Sri
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Scotty_b » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:40 am

That plate would look good pressed metal.

Keep the font standard or you will attract the plod.
Astra K 1.4T 150 SRi, Summit white.

1900sr
Astra Model: SRi 1.0
Astra Options: None

Post by 1900sr » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:29 pm

Scotty_b wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:40 am
That plate would look good pressed metal.

Keep the font standard or you will attract the plod.
Pressed metal plates would be illegal, as they don't conform to BS AU145d, although I have seen some offered for sale marked as such. I guess it depends on the copper and his knowledge of the law, as well as whether he could be bothered.

Certain carbon fibre letters are legal, your best bet is to go to a recognised plate manufacturer (motor factor, Halfords, Motosave Wilco etc) rather than online or one at a show and get the plates made there. They will be able to show you what you can have legally. If you run illegal plates and the copper is sharp eyed enough you may get a pull, and that may lead to looking for other defects so you may as well play by the rules in my opinion.
1.0i Turbo SRi, Power Red.

Scotty_b
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 Sri
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Scotty_b » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:11 pm

My neighbour is a traffic cop and mine are perfectly legal. Passed many MOTs aswell.

Aslong as the font spacing and size are correct and they are reflective they are legal.
Astra K 1.4T 150 SRi, Summit white.

1900sr
Astra Model: SRi 1.0
Astra Options: None

Post by 1900sr » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:38 pm

Scotty_b wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:11 pm
My neighbour is a traffic cop and mine are perfectly legal. Passed many MOTs aswell.

Aslong as the font spacing and size are correct and they are reflective they are legal.
Metal plates don't meet BSAU145d as far as I can tell, see here https://www.nationalnumbers.co.uk/blog/ ... lates.html

Not all traffic cops know the law, and plenty of MOT testers either don't know or don't particularly care. It's very rare to see a car fail a test on number plates.
1.0i Turbo SRi, Power Red.

cornishtaz
Astra Model: 1.6CDTi SRi Nav 136bhp
Astra Options: To many to list

Post by cornishtaz » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:00 pm

I've got pressed plates and are marked with the correct BS stamp.

Having read that article it says the plates are ment to be flexible well the ones that came on my car from the dealer were metal and not flexible also these were stamped with the correct BS number.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

EvilScotsman
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 SRI Nav
Astra Options: 18' Bi-Colour Alloys, Winter Pack, Privacy Tints

Post by EvilScotsman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:23 pm

Pressed Metal Number plates fall into a grey zone when it comes to the law. There is nothing that explicitly states that the plates cannot be made of metal (according to the INF104 documentation provided by the government, they just have to be made of a reflective material with no direct mention of material that has to be used). Looking for details on the BS AU 145d standard (which is very hard to pin down directly from the Government), there isn't a direct reference to what material has to be used other than it had to be reflective material).

Given my Astra was supplied with metal plates from a main Vauxhall dealer (not pressed), I believe metal is fine to use with numbers plates so long as it has the correct reflective properties to it. I also asked the owner of the dealer about it (as he was a friend of my father who used to work in the motor trade), and in all the time they've been supplying cars, they've never had a client comeback to say they've been stopped by the police due to their plates being metal.

The only place I have been able to find that explicitly mentions that number plates should be Acrylic was the British Number Plate Manufacturers Association website which I'm a bit dubious to take are gospel.

Ultimately, it really comes down to what the mood the copper is in when they pull you over and how you respond to them. If you get a jobsworth, they'll find any little thing possible to give you a penalty notice, regardless of how spotless your car is. Same really goes with your attitude. Given the reputation of the typical people that tend to have Pressed Metal plates on their cars, the police will just have a natural bias against them.

Worth noting that I now have a set of Pressed Metal Number plates on my car with a private reg and yet to have any bother with them, other than the front one keeps setting my packing sensor off due to the surround I've used to mount it.
Astra 1.6 SRi Nav Turbo 200PS, Power Red.
18" bi-colour alloys, driving assistance pack, parking pack sensors, privacy glass, ergonomic seats, mud-flaps, S/S pedals, S/S door sills.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”