3. Nissan Qashqai
4. Ford Fiesta
5. VW Polo
6. Kia Sportage
7. Mercedes C-Class
8. Vauxhall Corsa
9. Mercedes A-Class
10. Audi A3

Not sure what Vx have to do to convince the British public to buy their cars.

Crosseyxpower
Astra Model: Sri nav
Astra Colour: Red

Re: UK top selling cars in July

Post by Crosseyxpower » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:57 am

It's not so much the public that's buying the cars it's the car hire company's that influence the sales market for new cars.

Alpa-Chino
Astra Model: Elite Navi 1.6 CDTi BiTurbo
Astra Options: All apart from driver pack one
Astra Colour: White Summit

Post by Alpa-Chino » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:57 pm

I am quite surprised by number 7... but on the other hand 20% discounts are very common on C class now.
Luke
Elite Nav 1.6 CDTi Biturbo, Summit Whit, Intellilux LEDs, drivers assistance pack1, parking pack, sunroof, dark tinted rear windows, keyless entry and start, Ergonomic sports-style front seats (AGR-approved), Power front driver's seat.

Finston Pickle
Astra Model: 1.6 Petrol Turbo SRI Nav Sports tourer
Astra Options: AGR seats;Wntr Pk;Sp Whl;S/Rf;Tints;CD plyr;P/Sens
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Finston Pickle » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:14 pm

I had a work colleague once who said “perception is truth” - at the time I wasn't convinced - now I am.

People are convinced that various cars are better and worth more than others - even when hard facts can easily prove the opposite - just look at the problems, recalls and reliability numbers for various expensive cars compared with cheaper cars, typically Japanese, Korean or Skoda (Lexus is one of the few exceptions). The answer really is in the perception given by persuasive advertising to people who like to play things safe for the lowest cost outcome - the self fulfilling herd instinct giving high residuals.

In America, the GM Buick was historically seen as a good midstream car to be aspired to by mangers, entrepreneurs and young people alike - it never happened with VX in the UK IMO.

GM had a European cars of the year on its hands in 2016 with the Astra K. Did you ever see a clever, consistent and durable run of adverts in mags, TV and media for it - I did not. Did they get people into the Astra to see how good it was for the weekend or convince the fleet players to order?

Perhaps there are grounds for optimism on the Marketing front under the PSA banner - just look at Peugeot (The 3008 SUV is 2017 car of the year). Their styling, product and Motion and Emotion offers give hope.
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

Ivanzu
Astra Model: Enjoy 1.4T
Astra Options: No Space
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by Ivanzu » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:44 pm

British are obsessed with Ford for some reason and since Vauxhall and Ford create very similar cars Brits will simply go for Ford because they like it more. Mainland Europe is different story.

otj
Astra Model: Sports Tourer 1.4T M6 Innovation (Elite Nav)
Astra Options: AGR+leather+iLux+Nav (all except sunroof)
Astra Colour: Summit white

Post by otj » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:59 am

Opel had a really good advertising campaign with the Astra. See the videos on Youtube.

I really can't understand why Focus is number one in the UK. The car is a really old model and outdated.

i bet the Astra still hits top ten charts in many european countries. In Germany Opel is second after VW and a lot of that must be because of Astra.
Opel Astra Sports Tourer Innovation (Elite) 1.4T M6, Summit White.

Ordered: Opel Insignia B Sports Tourer Innovation 1.6 CDTI A6, Abalone white, AGR premium

Old: Astra J Sports Tourer Sport (SRi) 1.4T M6 2013

PACMANIA

Post by PACMANIA » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:39 pm

I'm not sure I by that argument 20 percent discount 30percent discount. Say I sell u a jumper for £10 I put the jumper at say £29. I'm giving u the impression that you got a big discount in all along I wanted the £10 of you tk max do that shit all the time. When I brought my car mine was the cheapest in the country. Come on a fully loaded astra£25k £28k really the car worth about 3k to make just made up of vat tax tax and more tax read the small print. Tesco the other day 6pack of walkers crisp £1.59 2 week later drop to £1 saving u 59p then a week later goes back up. All bollocks marketing

Ivanzu
Astra Model: Enjoy 1.4T
Astra Options: No Space
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by Ivanzu » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:40 pm

I can't complain, I got 20% discount on Astra and I was private buyer, not fleet. I think that Astra isn't selling so well in UK because they gotten bad rep from shows like Top Gear and similar. In my country Astra was top seller for few months and maybe it still is, Opel is second after VW when it comes to sales here. Still I don't see how is Kia selling so well in UK when its simply inferior to Astra, and Focus too which is outdated.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:08 pm

Out of the new focus or the new astra .... the astra won for my family..... i dont know what ford has done to it since the mk2 but couldnt believe how much room i the back the new focus dosent have!!
Astra K SRI Navi 1.6 CDTi (110ps)

Previous cars
Nissan qashqai tekna 1.6 dci
Nissan qashqai tenka 1.5 dci
Nissan juke nismo 1.6 2wd
Nissan qashqai 360 1.5 dci
Nissan qashqai n tec +2 1.5dci
smart barabus roadster
Ford focus st3
Renault Megane rs

Finston Pickle
Astra Model: 1.6 Petrol Turbo SRI Nav Sports tourer
Astra Options: AGR seats;Wntr Pk;Sp Whl;S/Rf;Tints;CD plyr;P/Sens
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Finston Pickle » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:44 pm

I think that the space is down to the "cab forward" design of the Astra K - similarly Peugeot.

Only a few makers are using it at present - it is why the new Jaguar I-Pace will have a longer wheelbase and greater interior space than the F-Pace - yet be shorter overall.
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”