E10 Fuel.

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
VX SRI NAV

E10 Fuel.

Post by VX SRI NAV » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:47 pm

I saw this on a Corsa site earlier will you use it in your car?

If you use the checker below it says all VX cars apart from this regardless of age can use it -

Models with the 2.2 litre direct injection petrol engine, motor code: Z22YH (Vectra, Signum, Zafira)

but i do not trust it as it also states -

But it warns it will not be liable for any damage to vehicles as a result of drivers using its checker - especially if their car has been fitted with replacement parts.

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol

This is from the BBC site, my car is older so even though the Government checker says it can use it i do not trust it, the more i read about this stuff the more convinced i am it will damage older cars.

How will E10 affect my car?

Every petrol vehicle built after 2011 should accept E10.

But it won't be compatible with some older vehicles - as many as 600,000 of those currently on UK roads, the RAC estimates.

And if a car is not compatible with the new fuel, it could damage the engine.

E10 petrol: What is it and can my car run it? - BBC News

How can I be sure I'm OK to use E10?

The government has set up a website where drivers can check whether their car will run on E10 fuel.

But it warns it will not be liable for any damage to vehicles as a result of drivers using its checker - especially if their car has been fitted with replacement parts.

nsanderson
Astra Model: 1.6T SRi 200 Nav
Astra Options: AGR seat, winter pack,parking sensors, spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power Red

Re: E10 Fuel.

Post by nsanderson » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:22 pm

Will I use it? Yes, because I probably won't get any choice.

It's somewhat similar to the situation when Unleaded came in to replace 4-star. I remember a lot of Vauxhall cars running round with a 'Vauxhalls Love Unleaded' stickers as it turns out the Germans had over engineered the engine design and the cars were fine on it.

I think the Vx/Opel power-trains have been designed to cope with E10 for a good number of years but it'll be interesting to see if there are any side effects (performance and economy wise)
1.6T (200) SRi Nav - Power Red, AGR seat, winter pack, parking sensors, spare wheel,

Turbo Nut

Post by Turbo Nut » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:54 pm

nsanderson wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:22 pm

It's somewhat similar to the situation when Unleaded came in to replace 4-star. I remember a lot of Vauxhall cars running round with a 'Vauxhalls Love Unleaded' stickers as it turns out the Germans had over engineered the engine design and the cars were fine on it.

I think the Vx/Opel power-trains have been designed to cope with E10 for a good number of years but it'll be interesting to see if there are any side effects (performance and economy wise)
I thought we were supposed to use the 97-99 octane stuff that isn't changing for the 1.6t?

VX SRI NAV

Post by VX SRI NAV » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:06 pm

nsanderson wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:22 pm

Its not the performance that is the issue its the damage the stuff can do to the engine and fuel lines etc, the easiest way to get round it is use premium fuel like V-Power as this is E5 so will not harm the car but of course its dearer.

VX SRI NAV

Post by VX SRI NAV » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:08 pm

I thought we were supposed to use the 97-99 octane stuff that isn't changing for the 1.6t?
I am not sure what the 1.0 and 1.4 are supposed to run on but running them on premium will not hurt if they are able to run on E5.

Shaky
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Elite Nav Sports Tourer
Astra Options: Agr Drivers Seat, Ilux lights, Parking Sensors,
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver OP189

Post by Shaky » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:13 pm

Turbo Nut wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:54 pm
AFAIK the E10 is only going to be available in 95 octane, at least for the time being. The 1600 motor certainly seems to run better on the higher (97-99) octane as in my case I'm getting a better mpg out of my 1600 than I did with my 1400 ! I believe the main problems that can be caused with the E10 fuel are the higher percentage of ethanol can start to attack seals and materials etc in the fuel lines that are not as resistant to it in older designed cars.

I should imagine that if they eventually bring out E10 with a 97-99 octane rating, it'll work fine in the 1600.

Until that time arrives, I'll be using the E5 in my 1600.
Mods - Bonnet Struts, 2nd boot light, Glovebox Light, Footwell Light (All LED) Fr & R Dashcams, Detachable Towbar with Battery Charging, 17" Alloy Spare.
I am Homer of Borg. Resistance is..............Hmmmm Doughnuts.

Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Boroboy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:20 pm

I think E5 (higher octane stuff), will be available for the 1.6t drivers for a good while yet, although in theory they should be OK on E10, admittedly probably run better on E5.
Personally I have no issues running my 1.4t on E10, what this engine was designed to use along with the E5 (95 ron stuff). Although I've yet to have tried any yet.

nsanderson
Astra Model: 1.6T SRi 200 Nav
Astra Options: AGR seat, winter pack,parking sensors, spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by nsanderson » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:27 am

Shaky wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:13 pm
Turbo Nut wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:54 pm
AFAIK the E10 is only going to be available in 95 octane, at least for the time being. The 1600 motor certainly seems to run better on the higher (97-99) octane as in my case I'm getting a better mpg out of my 1600 than I did with my 1400 ! I believe the main problems that can be caused with the E10 fuel are the higher percentage of ethanol can start to attack seals and materials etc in the fuel lines that are not as resistant to it in older designed cars.

I should imagine that if they eventually bring out E10 with a 97-99 octane rating, it'll work fine in the 1600.

Until that time arrives, I'll be using the E5 in my 1600.
Didn't know it was only going to be in 95 octane fuel? Assumed it would be across the board? I'm still running mine on super whatever!

My local Sainsbury's filling station has the E rating on the side of every petrol pump and they all say E5 at the moment - when is this E10 stuff supposed to be released?
1.6T (200) SRi Nav - Power Red, AGR seat, winter pack, parking sensors, spare wheel,

Turbo Nut

Post by Turbo Nut » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:44 am

I've seen E10 at a few pumps in the south of England already, it's being phased in.

Yes the super unleaded is safe for now, they are not changing it. So the 97 octane from Sainsburys is fine for the foreseeable.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:05 am

It's actually rather easy to extract the ethanol from the fuel, i know a few people that does it as their older style motorcycle can not even take E5 without the ethanol eating away at their lines.

Youtube has multiple videos.

Essentially you need a clear container with a valve, some water and some food coloring.

Put the petrol in the container, add food coloring to the water (Only to make it easier to see) and add the colored water to the petrol.

Ethanol i hygroscopic so clings to the water. After a good mixing, the water will drop to the bottom where it can be drained off, together with the ethanol.

I also know some smaller airplanes with petrol engines, use this method, as it is pretty critical not to have ethnol eating away at some fuel line or gasket, leading to an engine failure and subsequent crash.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.