Bye Bye Astra

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
FiestaRed
Astra Model: Sports Tourer 150T
Astra Options: Loads more than I need.
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver (Blue when you look at it though)

Bye Bye Astra

Post by FiestaRed » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:34 pm

I have now had Astra Sports Tourers for the last nine years and really enjoyed every one of them, that is until I got the latest offering in the shape of a 1.2 turbo. So it's time to say bye bye Astra and time to move on. The 1.2 really struggles and I feel as though I'm doing gear changes all the time. Pulling away at anything other than a crawl is really noisy and the engine sounds more like a diesel than a petrol engine. From ordering the car in August of last year the delivery took so long that quite a few items were downgraded before the car eventually arrived a few weeks ago, these were put down to 'facelifts'. Cheaper Navi system, cheaper stick type aerial replacing the shark fin, cheap black wing mirror covers replacing the body coloured ones and even the parking sensors that I ordered had been left off.

A big thank you to all who have helped and answered whatever problems I've encountered along my Astra journey, it's been greatly appreciated.

Valer
Astra Model: 2019 1.0 T SRi Nav Hatch
Astra Colour: Mineral Black GB9

Re: Bye Bye Astra

Post by Valer » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:36 pm

That was worth the wait then>not :shock:
Astra Sri 1.0t Hatch,Astra SRi 1.6t Tourer
Diagnostic kit.Opcom 2020,Mongoose pro GM2 running 2020 GDS2

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by Pompeydave » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:55 pm

What have you gone for now FiestaRed ?

FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:16 pm

The Toyota Corolla Touring Sports.

Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Boroboy » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:40 pm

FiestaRed wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:16 pm
The Toyota Corolla Touring Sports.
Good choice. Is it an Hybrid/CVT?
Just looked at one, the hatch version, like the look of them.

FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:56 pm

Hybrid/CVT.

Never having driven an automatic before I was a bit apprehensive when taking the test drive, I spent the night before planning a route and enjoyed it that much I did the route twice and added in a stretch of the local bypass for good measure. People are averaging high fifties and sixties with MPG and it's hard to take in the 'extras' that are included over the Astra ST.

All the other makes I had in mind were at least a nine month delivery time. Toyota are quoting four to six weeks build time. There's even an app where you can check what stage build the car is at and, as it's made it the UK, no four weeks delay at the docks waiting for a ship. The new Vauxhall app doesn't even include the Astra, even the very latest build.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:12 am

FiestaRed wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:56 pm
Hybrid/CVT.

Never having driven an automatic before I was a bit apprehensive when taking the test drive, I spent the night before planning a route and enjoyed it that much I did the route twice and added in a stretch of the local bypass for good measure. People are averaging high fifties and sixties with MPG and it's hard to take in the 'extras' that are included over the Astra ST.

All the other makes I had in mind were at least a nine month delivery time. Toyota are quoting four to six weeks build time. There's even an app where you can check what stage build the car is at and, as it's made it the UK, no four weeks delay at the docks waiting for a ship. The new Vauxhall app doesn't even include the Astra, even the very latest build.
I've driven autos now for over 5 years and wouldn't go back.
Good luck with the new motor, should be reliable too being a Toyota. The hybrid battery will boost the power/mpg you see.
I'm considering an hybrid next too.

nsanderson
Astra Model: 1.6T SRi 200 Nav
Astra Options: AGR seat, winter pack,parking sensors, spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by nsanderson » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:15 am

Another K owner goes - can't blame you though FiestaRed as I think the new ones have just been butchered under the PSA ownership. An engine choice of only wheezy 3 cylinder units? No body-coloured wing mirrors? Features cut left and right?

Hopefully the 1.6T keeps going for another year or two but after that, it's likely to be a Toyota or Kia for me. So sad to see what's happened to Vx/Opel.
1.6T (200) SRi Nav - Power Red, AGR seat, winter pack, parking sensors, spare wheel,

FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:53 am

nsanderson wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:15 am
Another K owner goes - can't blame you though FiestaRed as I think the new ones have just been butchered under the PSA ownership. An engine choice of only wheezy 3 cylinder units? No body-coloured wing mirrors? Features cut left and right?

Hopefully the 1.6T keeps going for another year or two but after that, it's likely to be a Toyota or Kia for me. So sad to see what's happened to Vx/Opel.
Before the 1.2 three cylinder turbo I had the 1.6 and 1.4 turbos and I really enjoyed them both, great cars. When I collected the 1.2 turbo, the first thing I spotted was the thin black stick aerial, when I pointed it out to the salesman, his reply was 'they're all the rage now' when what he really meant was yet another cutback from Vauxhall.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:31 pm

Vauxhall don't need to go "cheaper", some of the plastics are already cheap enough on my 18 plate. Especially the glovebox lid, very easy to scratch. No under bonnet insulation either or a space saver wheel as standard.
As much as I like my current 1.4t auto, which I'll be keeping for a while longer yet. I don't think I'll be buying another vauxhall next.
I don't think Vauxhall have been proactive enough helping their customers with ongoing engine issues. Expecting them to cover the cost, especially when they're ongoing known issues.