Buying Advice - Should I avoid the 2016 1.4 Astra?

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
nico

Buying Advice - Should I avoid the 2016 1.4 Astra?

Post by nico » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:03 pm

Hey all,

I joined the forum today as I'm hoping to get some expert advice from Astra owners.

I found a 2016 1.4l Astra with 47k miles, 2 previous owners for £7250: https://www.caffyns.co.uk/used-car-deta ... 179666025/
This seems like a great deal to me. However, I've read that 1.4 models used to have quite bad issues so this made me worry and I'm a bit hesitant now.

I would go for a 2 year warranty to be on the safe side but you just never know.

Is there any insight you guys can give me if its alright or if I should look for something else instead?

Thanks,

Nico

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Re: Buying Advice - Should I avoid the 2016 1.4 Astra?

Post by Pompeydave » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:22 pm

Stretch to the 1.6t if you can , much better engine and reliability .

If you do go for the 1.4t ABSOLUTE essential is a warranty , see what it covers though.

Also check the usual service history and if any updates have been done , also correct oil put in otherwise engine could go bang .

Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Boroboy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:56 pm

If you could stretch it a bit further I'd go for a 2018 on 1.4t, as up to now I've heard of no major engine failures, as yet due to lspi.
The 1.4t is a very nice car to drive, good to run on 95 ron rated fuel too, within my experience very fuel efficient for a 150bhp engine.
I own a 2018 1.4t auto, very happy with it, averaging 43mpg long term and 50 on a longer run. Fast enough for my needs now. Had no engine issues with it so far.
Yes if you do go for it, I'd also advise that you go for a decent extended warranty that also covers 'consequential engine damage', as the 'Evans Halshaw', current extended warranty does not. All within the small print.
Also consider buying a vauxhall extended warranty, available for cars up to 8 years old, bIt cheaper than the current RAC warranty available now.
Also consider the 1.0t, nice little engine, does not feel underpowered, certainly worth a test drive.

Kevinelite

Post by Kevinelite » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:27 pm

Purchased a 65 plate astra 2 years ago, 1.4t manual and on 57k, never missed a beat. Got 1 years warranty left just in case but remember people complain on forums so you always read about the bad ones. There are thousands of these on the roads not giving trouble.

Plenty of guts and fast enough for me when needed.

There are a few duff ones around but it would be obvious there is something wrong if it dosnt pull well or there are engine faults. Test drive should alert a bad unit.

nico

Post by nico » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:30 pm

Thanks guys!

My budget is quite tight ish or I basically don't want to spend more than £8k as I will most likely be working from home for the foreseeable future which means I wont be driving a lot anymore.
That's why the Astra I found looks pretty perfect in terms of the price and what it comes with.

But as you guys are saying I could possibly walk into a nightmare if I go for the "older" 1.4 models...I might still view it and then see what I think after seeing the service history and to find out what it feels like when test driving it.

Are there any good sign that the engine might be crap that I could notice while test driving?

Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Boroboy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:47 pm

nico wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:30 pm
Thanks guys!

My budget is quite tight ish or I basically don't want to spend more than £8k as I will most likely be working from home for the foreseeable future which means I wont be driving a lot anymore.
That's why the Astra I found looks pretty perfect in terms of the price and what it comes with.

But as you guys are saying I could possibly walk into a nightmare if I go for the "older" 1.4 models...I might still view it and then see what I think after seeing the service history and to find out what it feels like when test driving it.

Are there any good sign that the engine might be crap that I could notice while test driving?
I've personally not experienced and obvious lspi events on mine.
Maybe check the dipstick oil level from cold. Make sure it's not obviously low. Although they'd probably have topped it up if it needed it anyway. Mine has lost no noticeable oil from when I bought it. When they're starting to fail that can use an excessive amount of oil.
The 1.0t engine seems reliable too.
Not forgetting you have the highest legal protection for the first month after buying a car from a garage, so during this time, if you are not happy, there's a fault, you should be entitled to a full refund.

Pompeydave

Post by Pompeydave » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:52 pm

As said it should pull pretty well from low revs BUT these engines like higher revs to avoid the dreaded LSPI , saying that our pool cars were driven by manic engineers always in a hurry and we still had major issues.

Also check the clutch pedal , make sure it bites in the right place - another issue that seems to be rearing it’s ugly head.

Also check infotainment screen , make sure it’s all working well , quite a lot of earlier ones going wrong.

Astra’s are a bargain if you get a good one , check out a good warranty that covers engine and not a warranty that only goes up to £500 engine related , that won’t be anywhere near enough for a replacement .

MrUrban83

Post by MrUrban83 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:18 pm

I bought a 1.4T last september, 17 plate. Love it. Checked it had all the updates, put the right oil in..... Drive it properly... Thats a must, and you shouldnt have to many problems.

nico

Post by nico » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:27 am

Pompeydave wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:22 pm
Also check the usual service history and if any updates have been done , also correct oil put in otherwise engine could go bang .
In terms of service history and updates - what are things I should look out for, anything specific that could indicate problems?

And correct oil means what exactly?

Cheers!

Pompeydave

Post by Pompeydave » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:37 am

Dex 1 gen 2 oil is a must , if any old oil has been put in I would walk away.

If the car has been to a VX dealer it should of had updates to ecu but only Vauxhall will tell you that.