Onstar reuse

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
sntaylor87

Onstar reuse

Post by sntaylor87 » Mon May 03, 2021 3:11 pm

Hi, hopefully I'm able to post as a new user, bought a 16 plate 1.6 (110) diesel elite just last week and I have a few issues, some I see already as commented on other questions like tyre pressure monitoring (one sensor keeps going off line, and the wheels obviously swapped around so I bought a relearn tool from China...) but the biggest bug bear is having onstar there but unable to use it.

Is there anything you can do to repurpose it? Like still use your mobile phone etc to unlock or find it?

Other annoyances are that android auto isn't activated, can't update the maps yourself either....but otherwise enjoying being an astra owner 😁

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: Onstar reuse

Post by astraowner » Mon May 03, 2021 4:09 pm

If android auto is missing, you can get the navi 900 firmware updated at vauxhall at your own expense.

Map updates, you can do these themselves, you just need to buy a map update from vauxhall. Then you will get a USB stick with the maps on, and you can update them yourself with that stick.

The common theme here is you paying vauxhall for items that should honestly be free and should be possible to do, via wifi.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

sntaylor87

Post by sntaylor87 » Mon May 03, 2021 4:15 pm

Yeah I had read that I could pay for the android auto add on, I had seen the maps thing for other cars, didn't realise it was an option for us that's one bonus at least thanks. But yeah defo a common theme to keep on paying them 🙄

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Mon May 03, 2021 4:24 pm

sntaylor87 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:15 pm
Yeah I had read that I could pay for the android auto add on, I had seen the maps thing for other cars, didn't realise it was an option for us that's one bonus at least thanks. But yeah defo a common theme to keep on paying them 🙄
Yeah, just another reason to maybe look elsewhere, when the K needs replacing.

From what i have read, not even the new 2020+ radio's are updateable over the air.

This is an appaling tactic to, sell people a product and if they need the software updated to make the features you actually advertised the car, as having, work, have them pay again.

Even the cheapest mobile phone that can be had for under £100 will have some sort of firmware updates for free in its lifetime and if a function is flat out, not working it will be fixed, but on a car that cost thousands of pounds, and where the infotainment system is being more and more vital for the car's functioning, they still want you to go to a shop and pay for updates.

My next car will certainly have over the air, free firmware updates, it will be something that i will actively seek out. I just watched "fully charged" from Changhai auto show, and i must say the chinese are really pumping out new, exciting looking cars, at reasonable prices, that actually advertises that they are fully 5G capable. I would expect a car that has been born with cellular capabilities to be fully updateable over the air, like for example Tesla. If the legacy manufacturers dont pull their finger out, they are going to be absolutely run over by the chinese.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Boroboy » Mon May 03, 2021 4:33 pm

sntaylor87 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:11 pm
Hi, hopefully I'm able to post as a new user, bought a 16 plate 1.6 (110) diesel elite just last week and I have a few issues, some I see already as commented on other questions like tyre pressure monitoring (one sensor keeps going off line, and the wheels obviously swapped around so I bought a relearn tool from China...) but the biggest bug bear is having onstar there but unable to use it.

Is there anything you can do to repurpose it? Like still use your mobile phone etc to unlock or find it?

Other annoyances are that android auto isn't activated, can't update the maps yourself either....but otherwise enjoying being an astra owner 😁
I have the "NAV", model. Which I tend to use Android Auto only on rather than the built in maps. Found using Google maps is far more up to date too. So I won't pay to update my NAV maps, just use Android Auto. So if I was to choose between the two I'd pay for the firmware update. Not that you should have to.
Unfortunately a lot of manufacturers are now charging you extra for updates, where there's extra money to be made they'll make it.

sntaylor87

Post by sntaylor87 » Mon May 03, 2021 4:48 pm

Stupid little things like this that I hadn't thought of, after doing loads of research for buying my new car as well, I had considered so many different cars, wanting something decent for long distance commuting hence the astra elite nav, over all I am still fairly happy with it, just disappointed I'm gonna need to pay to get android auto added to it.

Really wish I could hack into the onstar facilities somehow to make use of it still

1900sr
Astra Model: 2015 SRi 1.0
Astra Options: None
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by 1900sr » Mon May 03, 2021 4:49 pm

astraowner wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:24 pm

This is an appaling tactic to, sell people a product and if they need the software updated to make the features you actually advertised the car, as having, work, have them pay again.

While on the whole I agree with you, I have the brochure here that I picked up when I ordered my Astra K in November 2015, and it does not list Android Auto as a feature of the Navi 900 Intellilink system, just Apple Car Play. It does however list both as available on the R4.0 Intellilink fitted to the non-nav cars. All the updates I had while the car was in warranty to sort issues with the Intellilink system were done FOC by the dealer.
2015 1.0i Turbo SRi, Power Red.

Bogbody

Post by Bogbody » Mon May 03, 2021 6:13 pm

Vauxhall need to be looking over their shoulder at Ford. My wifes Fiesta has just updated its maps and fixed an Android Auto faulr - all over the air and for free.
The basic radio unit is very similar but the software is much better, properly thought out with a nice clear interface. These days its the small difference that look or feel "better" that sell cars.

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Mon May 03, 2021 7:16 pm

Bogbody wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:13 pm
Vauxhall need to be looking over their shoulder at Ford. My wifes Fiesta has just updated its maps and fixed an Android Auto faulr - all over the air and for free.
The basic radio unit is very similar but the software is much better, properly thought out with a nice clear interface. These days its the small difference that look or feel "better" that sell cars.
That sounds good Bogbody
A friend at work has bought a new BMW and it updates over the air. Lets him know when updates are available for his car and will only perform them when accepted by him and the battery is in a state of good charge. He informs me it is free updates for the first 3 years of ownership then is chargeable there after.

astramaster

Post by astramaster » Mon May 03, 2021 11:09 pm

There is a project in facebook of someone who adapted the OnStar with new functions! 8-)