Changing Number Plates

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
FredOnline
Astra Model: 1.4T 16V 150 SRI 5DR
Astra Colour: Silver

Changing Number Plates

Post by FredOnline » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:01 pm

I got my Astra in December, and decided it's about time I put my personal number plates on the car.

The current plates are screwed on, and the question is:

Where the screws are currently located that fix the plate(s) to the car, is there actually a set mounting point behind the plate(s), or are the plates just basically screwed anywhere into the plastic bumper, much as you would screw into a piece of wood?

I hope I've explained that OK!

Kcirtap
Astra Model: CDTI 1.6
Astra Options: ELITE
Astra Colour: Flip Chip

Re: Changing Number Plates

Post by Kcirtap » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:10 am

There are set locations behind the plate for mounting the plate. I am nit sure it is in any way strengthened.

I can’t see it would cause any issues if you screwed elsewhere but when you remove you current plate it will become apparent.

Easiest thing to do it take you old plate off,
lay you new plate under your old plate and drill the holes in the same spot. The front plate my be bent slightly as there is a curve in the bumper. As long as you have a metal backed plate (almost all are, even cheaper ones from Halfords) then you can bend them like the old one.

Just make sure you get the correct coloured screw heads or with will ruin the look for your new plate.

But my rear plate I just used the sticky pads as it was flat.

Hope that helps.

FredOnline

Post by FredOnline » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:21 am

Thanks for that info, Kcirtap.

I've still got some screws and coloured caps left over from when I changed my number plates over on my previous car, so no problem there. Also got some double-sided tape that I bought at the same time as the screws/caps, hopefully that's still ok.

I didn't realise the front number plate would be curved itself, it looks fairly flat to me, I'll know better when I remove that plate.

I did hear something about screws in the plates could interfere with the parking sensors, if I use the same mounting point hopefully should be ok.

Exactly how reliable are the sticky pads? I envision the plates falling off or getting blasted off with a power washer!

Vayerr
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.6 CDTi S/S (136bhp) Hatchback
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by Vayerr » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:19 am

FredOnline wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:21 am
Thanks for that info, Kcirtap.

I've still got some screws and coloured caps left over from when I changed my number plates over on my previous car, so no problem there. Also got some double-sided tape that I bought at the same time as the screws/caps, hopefully that's still ok.

I didn't realise the front number plate would be curved itself, it looks fairly flat to me, I'll know better when I remove that plate.

I did hear something about screws in the plates could interfere with the parking sensors, if I use the same mounting point hopefully should be ok.

Exactly how reliable are the sticky pads? I envision the plates falling off or getting blasted off with a power washer!
Parking sensors are very clearly visible so as long as the plate isn't near them you'll be fine using different mounting holes and putting it higher / lower.

As for sticky pads - you won't get a single general answer. It all depends on the pads you use. I had a plate fitted with pads before and it almost fell off after 2 days. My dad had different ones and plate is still attached to his car.

Personally I'd go for screws and caps. You can be sure the plate won't fall off during driving, power washing etc.
- Peugeot 206 Verve, 1.4 Petrol 2006
- Vx Corsa E Limited Edition, 3dr, 1.4 Petrol (90bhp) 2015
- Vx Astra K SRi Nav, 1.6 CDTi (136bhp) 2016
- Ford Focus ST-Line X, Estate, 1.5 EcoBlue (120bhp) 2019
- Vx Grandland X, 1.5 TurboD (130bhp) 2018 *Current*

Elite75
Astra Model: Elite Nav 1.6T
Astra Colour: Mineral Black

Post by Elite75 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:49 pm

My original plates were screwed in, they didn't use the factory holes, although those look a bit narrow.

What annoyed me is that the main dealer had screwed them in with big silver screws that caps couldn't fit over. And also the plates were on slightly wonky, like they couldn't give a crap!

I removed them and bought my own from ebay, used about 7 double sided strips per plate. It's on totally solid!

I might get a number plate holder for the rear though, if the properly straight factory holes fit the holder. Anyone done this?

FredOnline

Post by FredOnline » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:08 am

I removed the rear number plate to check the fixings, it was just the 2 screws holding the plate on.

Just like Elite75, the screws used are larger than the screws that came with the screws from a fixing kit, that means that also the coloured screw caps I have won't fit over these screws!

When replacing the original plate (I've not had new plates made up yet), I noticed that the plate wasn't straight - after careful measurement, it was 2mm higher on the right, than on the left!

Now, these things annoy me, and I would always notice it.

I removed the plate again, and elongated the screw holes (vertically) in the plate, to give a bit of play.

Now nice and straight and level!

FredOnline

Post by FredOnline » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:28 am

I finally got around to replacing my plates, I purchased a pair from the local motor factors.

I decided to go with the original fittings, using the screws already in place - these screws are slightly larger than the ones in the fitting kit I already had (from fitting on previous car), and so don't have coloured caps over them.

Kcirtap was correct about the front plate being slightly curved, the new plates are not metal backed (or at least there's no metal visible), so there's no way I could get away with using adhesive tape instead of screws. Even though, with the screws fully tightened, there is a spring in the plate where both ends are slightly proud of the bumper. Hopefully that will go away in time.

Does anyone know if there are coloured caps available for these slightly larger screws?

kamalaggi

Post by kamalaggi » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:20 pm

Number plates on my Astra came stuck on when I purchased brand new last month from dealers. Looks so much neater in my opinion with number plate stuck on.

Not sure what they used but the way they stuck it on there's virtually no chance of them falling off. They are also perfectly aligned and straight.