USB upgrade

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Bogbody
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:57 pm

Re: USB upgrade

Post by Bogbody » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:01 am

PSA/Opel/VX still need to work on the radio firmware/software, compared to my wife's Fiesta its a bit of a mess to use with features that dont play that well together.
The Fiesta's scattynav recently needed an update to work with AA. It arrived as a download over wifi and included a map update - all FOC.
Installed easily and didn't wipe out existing bluetooth connections. Adding my wife's new phone was easy and quick.
The whole thing works smoothly as a unit. Its design has been thought through and tested by someone that actualy does use it.
The Astra feals like the software has been cobbled together using a manuacturer (LG ??) supplied platform by different teams and not tested properly.
Their software QA seems to be a little lacking???

astraowner
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:54 am
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: USB upgrade

Post by astraowner » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:20 am

Bogbody wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:01 am
PSA/Opel/VX still need to work on the radio firmware/software, compared to my wife's Fiesta its a bit of a mess to use with features that dont play that well together.
The Fiesta's scattynav recently needed an update to work with AA. It arrived as a download over wifi and included a map update - all FOC.
Installed easily and didn't wipe out existing bluetooth connections. Adding my wife's new phone was easy and quick.
The whole thing works smoothly as a unit. Its design has been thought through and tested by someone that actualy does use it.
The Astra feals like the software has been cobbled together using a manuacturer (LG ??) supplied platform by different teams and not tested properly.
Their software QA seems to be a little lacking???
I totally agree

For over 10 years my various phones has received over the air updates for firmware bugs and feature enhancements.

My vacuum cleaner, internet router, computer, camera's, light controller for the house, alarm system, tablets, central heating controller and probably more that i can not remember right now, can do over the air update.

But in 2021, vauxhall (peugeot,really) still does not offer this for their cars.

Tesla has been doing free over the air updates, and you can even "retrofit" functions after purchase (FSD) if you want to, and just download and activate them.

The most outrageous part of this is that the HMI unit of even the first astra K, that was put to market, has all of the needed hardware (Wifi module) to make it happen, but vauxhall was still mentally back in the 1990's when they ticked the feature list when buying the module from LG.

LG is the real software developer for these HMI's and would have been able to deliver an update function, vauxhall just opted not to pay for it.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

huey45
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:27 pm
Astra Model: 1.0T Sri 105bhp
Astra Colour: White

Re: USB upgrade

Post by huey45 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:57 pm

Hi astraowner my car is a 17/17 Plate registered 10th March and it is a None Sat Nav R4.0 Intellilink,
I don't know if there is any Firmware, out there that can make it a Sat Nav one ??, as i'm fairly new
to Astra's I pick my car up tomorrow...

Maybe other members might shed some light on this ?

astraowner
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:54 am
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: USB upgrade

Post by astraowner » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:44 pm

huey45 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:57 pm
Hi astraowner my car is a 17/17 Plate registered 10th March and it is a None Sat Nav R4.0 Intellilink,
I don't know if there is any Firmware, out there that can make it a Sat Nav one ??, as i'm fairly new
to Astra's I pick my car up tomorrow...

Maybe other members might shed some light on this ?
To be honest your R4.0 can be made into possibly the best navigation that is available out there.

It has android auto and apple carplay, so if you have an android phone or an iphone, you can get, free, always up to date maps, and the most accurate navigation that will warn you of traffic and give you a pretty accurate estimate of your arrival time.

The R4.0 was available with navigation, but in all fairness it was nothing more than an app on the radio, that would connect to an app on your phone and do about the same as android auto or apple carplay will as well.

If you want to know the firmware state of your radio, have a look at this youtube video on how to enter the secret menu.

There you will be able to see the firmware revision and firmware datecode.

DONT change anything in the menu, just enter, look at the firmware revision and datecode and gracefully exit. :D
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

huey45
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:27 pm
Astra Model: 1.0T Sri 105bhp
Astra Colour: White

Re: USB upgrade

Post by huey45 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:51 pm

Thank you do...

bojo
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:51 am

Re: USB upgrade

Post by bojo » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:01 am

Hi all . Got an Astra 2017 a few days ago been trying to get my phone to Project to intellelink it connected a couple of times but every time if drops connection . I have now tried 3 phones one of which is a Samsung A51 on Android 11 also 4 different cables original for the Samsung . what I'm getting in all permutations is I plug the cable in the phone a message comes up Connecting AA will Disconnect the phone whichever phone happens to be connected @ the time when I press Switch the msg. disappears and the screen returns to the home screen . When I check on the phone is states that it's connected to AA but the phone still functions normal . What should the state of the phone after connecting to AA ? Has anybody come across this problem if so have you found a solution ? Is this a software problem that needs upgrading ? Biginning to regret getting the Astra !!

astraowner
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:54 am
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: USB upgrade

Post by astraowner » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:18 pm

bojo wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:01 am
Hi all . Got an Astra 2017 a few days ago been trying to get my phone to Project to intellelink it connected a couple of times but every time if drops connection . I have now tried 3 phones one of which is a Samsung A51 on Android 11 also 4 different cables original for the Samsung . what I'm getting in all permutations is I plug the cable in the phone a message comes up Connecting AA will Disconnect the phone whichever phone happens to be connected @ the time when I press Switch the msg. disappears and the screen returns to the home screen . When I check on the phone is states that it's connected to AA but the phone still functions normal . What should the state of the phone after connecting to AA ? Has anybody come across this problem if so have you found a solution ? Is this a software problem that needs upgrading ? Biginning to regret getting the Astra !!
First off, check what software is in the radio.

I guess it will be the non navi R4.0



Second....have you been into settings and made sure the "Android auto" option is enabled.

I have had a few instances where this option had turned itself off, and i had to re-enable it.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Post Reply