USB upgrade

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Astra1.6t

USB upgrade

Post by Astra1.6t » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:33 pm

Hi there, I really need one of these in my life, Anyone know where I can get one please

Colin

Screenshot_20210305-202027_Facebook.jpg

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: USB upgrade

Post by astraowner » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:00 pm

I bought mine off of ebay.

Sold by some chinese seller, there is a thread or 2 about it on here.

Mine "only" has AUX and 2 USB, not the SD slot.

Made a massive improvement to the charging. The old one had one port that would charge at max ½A, the replacement is doing 1½A.

Old one could barely keep the battery level on the phone as the state it was when plugged in, the new one will actually charge the phone quite nicely. Not anything crazy fast, but the need to have it charging is mostly on longer journeys when you do navigation, music streaming an some phone calls.

Also the more powerful chargeport made the phone connect to Android Auto every time, where the weak ½A one would sometimes fail.

I know the price is a bit high, but i would imagine that this is what you are after.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Genuine-GM-Dual ... 4451864550
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Mains75

Post by Mains75 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:18 am

Don't you have Android Auto disconnections anymore with it???

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:26 am

Mains75 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:18 am
Don't you have Android Auto disconnections anymore with it???
No.

PS. Be aware that the ½A socket was only used in the cars produced in 2015 and 2016, so if you have a 2015 or 2016, and it is the version without navigation, your radio might have 2015 firmware, this firmware was really buggy and produced a lot of disconnects and black screen.

If you do have a 2015/2016 and the radio is the 7" non-navi system use the following video as a guide to get into the service menu of the car, and check the firmware revision from there.

Use this thread as a guideline as to what version you have.

viewtopic.php?t=5593

If you have problems you probably have the firmware "1.12.5.2 - Jul 31 2015"

The latest version is from mid 2018, but the December 2017 i had installed works just fine.

Sadly the upgrade is a "dealer only" thing, that will cost you money. (Look up Intellilinkmods on here, if you are near them, they will do it for....I think....£50)
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Mains75

Post by Mains75 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:34 am

No I have MY17 version Navi900 Intelllink...but I have random disconnections, too...
Do you think it can help me?

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:26 pm

Mains75 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:34 am
No I have MY17 version Navi900 Intelllink...but I have random disconnections, too...
Well it certainly helped me.

BUT...If you have a MY17, i would imagine that you already have the 1A single slot variant of the charger.

Do you have a USB current measuring device, this would reveal if you charge at ½A or 1A (Or even like the 2 slot upgrade i got, at 1,5A)

I have also heard about people that had problems with disconnects because of the cable.

Have you tried different cables...I had a "wish" cable that worked fine with my charger in my house and worked fine for transferring files, but it would flat out refuse to work with Android Auto.

Honestly, i hope that AAWireless gateway, will soon be a real product that i can buy, this way, there will be no problems with cables whatsoever.

This promises to be a dongle that you plug into the USB port and then, if your android supports it (Android 10 and 5GHz wifi) should connect wirelessly.

I want to see the product and hear real people say it works before i buy, the developer has been promising this product since 2018, and has never gotten it finished. The only difference between then and now, is that he raised a lot of money via indiegogo.

To be honest i can not for the life of me understand why google has not released a "Chromecast" like device for this application a long time ago. There are MANY cars out there now, that has Android auto, but only very few support Android Auto Wireless, even though google released it years ago.

THEHITMAN

Post by THEHITMAN » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:48 pm

Astra1.6t wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:33 pm
Hi there, I really need one of these in my life, Anyone know where I can get one please

Colin
I've picked one up from an Insignia but I've not tried fitting it yet.

Mains75

Post by Mains75 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:10 pm

astraowner wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:26 pm
Mains75 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:34 am
Well it certainly helped me.

BUT...If you have a MY17, i would imagine that you already have the 1A single slot variant of the charger.

Do you have a USB current measuring device, this would reveal if you charge at ½A or 1A (Or even like the 2 slot upgrade i got, at 1,5A)

I have also heard about people that had problems with disconnects because of the cable.

Have you tried different cables...I had a "wish" cable that worked fine with my charger in my house and worked fine for transferring files, but it would flat out refuse to work with Android Auto.

Honestly, i hope that AAWireless gateway, will soon be a real product that i can buy, this way, there will be no problems with cables whatsoever.

This promises to be a dongle that you plug into the USB port and then, if your android supports it (Android 10 and 5GHz wifi) should connect wirelessly.

I want to see the product and hear real people say it works before i buy, the developer has been promising this product since 2018, and has never gotten it finished. The only difference between then and now, is that he raised a lot of money via indiegogo.

To be honest i can not for the life of me understand why google has not released a "Chromecast" like device for this application a long time ago. There are MANY cars out there now, that has Android auto, but only very few support Android Auto Wireless, even though google released it years ago.
I agree with you in everything you wrote ...
I'm waiting for AA wireless, too!
Android Auto is a good tool, but it's very badly programmed...

huey45
Astra Model: 1.0T Sri 105bhp
Astra Colour: White

Post by huey45 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:17 pm

Can you guys please keep me in the loop for AAWireless gateway, I hate using AA through USB, sometimes it works, sometimes not 50/50 I would
say whats the point of having a good head unit and mobi, and let down by the interfaces...

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:08 pm

huey45 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:17 pm
Can you guys please keep me in the loop for AAWireless gateway, I hate using AA through USB, sometimes it works, sometimes not 50/50 I would
say whats the point of having a good head unit and mobi, and let down by the interfaces...
Do you by any chance have a non-satnav R4.0 and a car that is from 2015-2016 ?

If so you would need the firmware in the HMI updated.

I dont know if AAWireless would work better, but i would highly doubt it as the bug is in the HMI itself, and the AAWireless box is essentially pretending to be your phone.

From what i have read, the first batch of AAWireless that was sold out as part of the indiegogo campaign are being shipped right now, and a second production run is available for preorder, for delivery around june 2021.

I am still waiting on the first batch to arrive at actual users, and have them report if it works or it is buggy. I am not going to throw money after the developer before i hear from independent sources that the box actually works. Have been waiting since 2018 for this device, and the developer made very little progress the first years, always making promises, but never delivering.