LED Rear Indicators that work !!

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Shaky
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Elite Nav Sports Tourer
Astra Options: Agr Drivers Seat, Ilux lights, Parking Sensors,
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver OP189

LED Rear Indicators that work !!

Post by Shaky » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:41 pm

So, as the title suggest, I finally found some LED rear indicators that work without adding ballast resistors HERE. :D :D

I've got the ST so I've had to use BAU15S units but I don't know if that producer's HB types will be just as effective as I also bought two of their reversing light units and I've had to fit ballast resistance to cancel the bulb-out error unfortunately. :roll:

On that subject, I used a 15Ω resistor but that wasn't enough of a load so I had to add another in parallel to double the load which worked OK. Bearing in mind I added the resistance before the point where the harness has a splice to feed both the rear light units on the ST so single units may well need less resistance to cancel the bulb out warning. :?:

I was all-ready to state "I'm 100% LED now" but the damn W5W amber repeater LEDs I bought are too long to fit inside the housing :evil: The white ones were fine for the interior lights though so I'm nearly there :D
Mods - Bonnet Struts, 2nd boot light, Glovebox Light, Footwell Light (All LED) Fr & R Dashcams, Detachable Towbar with Battery Charging, 17" Alloy Spare.
I am Homer of Borg. Resistance is..............Hmmmm Doughnuts.

stc954
Astra Model: K Elite Turbo 2017
Astra Colour: Grey

Re: LED Rear Indicators that work !!

Post by stc954 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:44 pm

Shaky wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:41 pm
So, as the title suggest, I finally found some LED rear indicators that work without adding ballast resistors HERE. :D :D

I've got the ST so I've had to use BAU15S units but I don't know if that producer's HB types will be just as effective as I also bought two of their reversing light units and I've had to fit ballast resistance to cancel the bulb-out error unfortunately. :roll:

On that subject, I used a 15Ω resistor but that wasn't enough of a load so I had to add another in parallel to double the load which worked OK. Bearing in mind I added the resistance before the point where the harness has a splice to feed both the rear light units on the ST so single units may well need less resistance to cancel the bulb out warning. :?:

I was all-ready to state "I'm 100% LED now" but the damn W5W amber repeater LEDs I bought are too long to fit inside the housing :evil: The white ones were fine for the interior lights though so I'm nearly there :D
Hi Shaky. Would you mind if you take pictures of the job, and post a how to. I'll be interested to implement the same work. I am just not great with electrics to be honest.

Shaky

Post by Shaky » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:08 pm

stc954 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:44 pm
Hi Shaky. Would you mind if you take pictures of the job, and post a how to. I'll be interested to implement the same work. I am just not great with electrics to be honest.
Well, as per usual, thinking that there was already a tutorial on the board (obviously not - d'oh) I forgot to take any pictures :oops: I'll see how time goes tomorrow stc and if I can, i'll try to cobble summat together. Haven't you got the HB stc ? I should imagine it would be easier for you to intercept the wiring directly behind the rear tailgate cluster as the HB has only got one reversing light hasn't it ? I may be wrong of course :lol:

I haven't compared the wiring diagrams for the non-LED units either so I'm not 100% certain that the wiring will be the same but I will be able to check for you.
Mods - Bonnet Struts, 2nd boot light, Glovebox Light, Footwell Light (All LED) Fr & R Dashcams, Detachable Towbar with Battery Charging, 17" Alloy Spare.

stc954
Astra Model: K Elite Turbo 2017
Astra Colour: Grey

Post by stc954 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:37 pm

Shaky wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:08 pm
stc954 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:44 pm
Well, as per usual, thinking that there was already a tutorial on the board (obviously not - d'oh) I forgot to take any pictures :oops: I'll see how time goes tomorrow stc and if I can, i'll try to cobble summat together. Haven't you got the HB stc ? I should imagine it would be easier for you to intercept the wiring directly behind the rear tailgate cluster as the HB has only got one reversing light hasn't it ? I may be wrong of course :lol:

I haven't compared the wiring diagrams for the non-LED units either so I'm not 100% certain that the wiring will be the same but I will be able to check for you.
Oh that's fine. To be honest, I find it very hard to log the work while doing it, especially if its my first time. I replaced the wiring harness on the back of the Astrs K yesterday, and taking pictures was the last thing on my mind. :lol:. There was just too much going on...

Anyway, I am not sure what HB means :oops: :lol: , but my car definitely has only one reverse car. So I am pretty sure we are referencing the same thing. If you can't take pictures thats fine, its just seems to be an interesting job that I would like to do and maybe I'll learn something new

Thanks shaky

Shaky

Post by Shaky » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:09 am

stc954 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:37 pm
Oh that's fine. To be honest, I find it very hard to log the work while doing it, especially if its my first time. I replaced the wiring harness on the back of the Astrs K yesterday, and taking pictures was the last thing on my mind. :lol:. There was just too much going on...

Anyway, I am not sure what HB means :oops: :lol: , but my car definitely has only one reverse car. So I am pretty sure we are referencing the same thing. If you can't take pictures thats fine, its just seems to be an interesting job that I would like to do and maybe I'll learn something new

Thanks shaky
I'm the opposite, if I'm pretty certain the job's never been done before I have no problem documenting it as I go. I actually thought someone had already produced a tut for replacing at least the rear indicators with LED units and ballast resistors. There is a bit more to it than there is replacing a harness but at least you've already had the panels off, so you know how to get to that bit :D

HB is just a lazy way of typing HatchBack :lol: Same as ST is SportsTourer, nothing clever, just me being bone-idle ;)

I just wasn't sure that the HB only had the one reversing light or not, as the ST does have two but only one fog light unless you put the European light unit on to get two fog lights.

As I say, if I get time tomorrow, I'll see what I can sort out for ya stc. It's just that I'm up to my eyeballs atm trying to finish off my car charging through the towbar socket project. the car wiring is done and has been for about four days, it's just the waterproof box on the house wall that's taking the time coz there's not a lot of space in it for the stuff I want in there :lol: