All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Kcirtap
Astra Model: CDTI 1.6
Astra Options: ELITE
Astra Colour: Flip Chip

Number plate bolts

Post by Kcirtap » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:26 pm

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well and not loosing the will to live with the news as it is at the moment!!

My number plates are currently held on with stickie tape, and have been since 2018. However, there have been multiple issues incidents of plate theft in my my village just this week. And I don’t want to risk my reg being nicked!

I want to change them to the bolts you can buy from Halfords or other auto store,
For two reasons -
One, the holes from the dealer are huge - two big for any of the screws sold at Halfords or Euro Car parts.
Two, they are much harder for plate stealing scum to pull off!

I have done the rear as they were easy to get to the back.

But the front is more difficult.

Does anyone know if removing the front grill will leave me with enough room to access behind the front number plate to put the nut on the back of the bolt?

I know a few of you have replaced or sprayed the grill so thought someone would know!

Thanks,

Pat

jt123
Astra Model: SRi 1.6 CDTI BiTurbo
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Re: Number plate bolts

Post by jt123 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:17 pm

I can't help with the question, but I would be a little hesitant to put a nut behind, if they wanted to get it off and they start using force you could risk them doing damage to your bumpers :(

Old Codger
Astra Model: Tech Line Nav 1.4T (125)
Astra Options: 17" Alloy wheels
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by Old Codger » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:22 am

I replaced the cross head number plate bolts supplied by the dealer with similar sized ones but with a torx head. From memory they were 5 mm x 16mm stainless, plenty on ebay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12g-5-5mm-ST ... xy-gBSAI~G
No.12 (5.5mm) A2 Stainless Self Tapping Button Head Security Screw - 6 Lobe Pin TX - Special TX Bit Including in Price!
Vandal Resistant 2 Way Reusable Security Screw With Unique 6-Lobe Pin TX Drive
Tamper proof - Re-usable Security Fixing
Special Driver Bit Included
Studying at the University of Life

Kcirtap

Post by Kcirtap » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:08 pm

Cheers for the advice.

I found some tamper resistant ones that are the right size.

Never considered the damage if someone tried to pull them off!

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:58 pm

In Denmark the government said that number plate theft was too high and made it mandatory to have the number plates bolted to the car.

Ordinary screws with a philips head screw are fine.

Afterwards they were puzzled that number plate theft did not drop.

Seems that politicians thought that people wanting to steal number places, were not skilled enough to use a screwdriver.

They even made it a MOT fail, if the plates were not fastened.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Kcirtap

Post by Kcirtap » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:13 pm

That’s mad.
I saw somewhere they were trialing digital number plates.
Made of the same stuff as the screens on Amazon kindles.
So they couldn’t be stolen the could change codes if the number plate was reported stolen, or remind the driver to renew car insurance, tax or MOT.
Looked very expensive! 😂

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:07 pm

Kcirtap wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:13 pm
That’s mad.
I saw somewhere they were trialing digital number plates.
Made of the same stuff as the screens on Amazon kindles.
So they couldn’t be stolen the could change codes if the number plate was reported stolen, or remind the driver to renew car insurance, tax or MOT.
Looked very expensive! 😂
Would be epic.

I would hack it and make sure that whenever i was near a camera van, the license plate would mysteriously change to the same digits as the police chief of whatever part of the country i was in.

It would be handy if they could just turn off the license plate if people did not pay the road tax, get the car MOT done in time or if they had not paid their insurance.

Here the number of cars on the road without insurance, MOT or paid road tax has dropped significantly since they put ANPR camera's on a lot of policecars.

Also, to stop people from driving uninsured they recently made a daily fine of £30 for every day your car is registered but uninsured.

I believe they had 40.000 registred vehicles that was uninsured, but this number halved in a few months after this new daily fine was imposed.

A lot of these were scrapped vehicles where people just forgot to de-register them.

Also, if you the ANPR police units stops you and the MOT has run out, or you did not pay road tax and/or insurance, the plates are removed and you need to get new ones....Which you can not until you have paid what you owe.

If you go to a MOT station after the final date of the MOT, you will need to pay a fine, and they are unable to perform the MOT until that fine is paid.

Rules are pretty rigid, but on the other hand, the road tax is paid bi-annually, the insurance is paid annually and the MOT is once every 2 years, and you always know when the next bill or MOT is due, so it is pretty easy to not get into trouble. Payment can also be made automatic so they deduct the money from your credit card automatically so you dont forget.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.