Rear speaker installation

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
jenskuhr

Rear speaker installation

Post by jenskuhr » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:59 pm

Hi

In the spring I bought an Opel Astra 2016, and it came without rear speakers, and now I thought I would see if I could install a couple of rear speakers myself.

First step was to pull off the rear door panel to see if I was so lucky that the wiring was already in place. There were only five wires going to the door, and I think they are all for the central locking system. Bummer.

My next hope was that I could connect the rear speakers to the front speakers either in parallel or series, but to my knowledge that requires me to know what output impedance the head unit has, and I can't find any information on what head unit is installed. I could pull out the head unit, but it seems to be a bit tricky, so I hoped that wouldn't be necessary.

Is there a way to find out what head unit is installed without having to pull off the dashboard panel? Or can I simply install an additional pair of speakers to the front speakers? And if so: Should I do it in a parallel or series connection?

Hope someone can help me out on this :)

Best regards
Jens

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: Rear speaker installation

Post by astraowner » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:06 pm

The headunit is called HMI.

If you have navigation it will be navi 900 and if you have not it will be R4.0 ..... And if you have not even got a 7-8" touchscreen it will be the BT600 radio.

No matter what unit you have, the HMI will have the rear output, but if it is disabled i do not know. There are threads on here where the location of the HMI is shown. From memory it is somewhere under the dash...Dont rip the screen out just yet, it is only a screen.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

jt123
Astra Model: SRi 1.6 CDTI BiTurbo
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Post by jt123 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:30 pm

Yes, the HMI is under the dash above the drivers footwell. Can be accessed without removing any trims. If it is disabled I am sure Intellilinkmods (https://intellilinkmods.co.uk/) will be able to enable it for you

Astroid

Post by Astroid » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:48 pm

Version 4.0 has no HMI with or without navigation, only Silverbox.

jenskuhr

Post by jenskuhr » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:55 pm

Hey guys :)

Thank you very much for your answers!

It is without navigation, so I guess I have the R4.0. I just checked the firmware version and it is 1.12.5.2.

When I enter the audio balance menu there is only a slider for the front speakers which probably means that the rear speakers are disabled - or maybe it is just because there aren't any plugged in?!

Thanks for the link to IntellilinkMods. I just talked to them and they said they can both enable the output for the rear speakers as well as update the Intellilink firmware version, which would hopefully solve all of my problems with Android Auto making it literally useless.

Best regards
Jens

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:05 pm

I had the same firmware and had it updated by vauxhall and i can attest to the fact that it will solve all your black screen android problems.

Also with the later firmware you get independent sliders for radio, navigation and phone calls and the bug that sometimes make the preset buttons forget the station name and just show frequency is also fixed.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

jenskuhr

Post by jenskuhr » Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:40 pm

@astraowner - that sounds promising! :)

I'm having issues pulling the silverbox out and I can't find any tips or tricks on how to remove it. I've disconnected all plugs but I can't pull it directly downwards because of the floor/foot rest. Can anybody help me? :)

I've attached of photo of my current status with silverbox.

Btw, I'm strongly considering upgrading the upgrade with a reverse camera from Intellilinkmods as well - thanks for referring :D

silverbox.jpg