Led bulbs without canbus error??

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
sps170373
Astra Model: SRI 1.4T 150ps
Astra Options: 18" bicolour alloys
Astra Colour: Carbon flash

Led bulbs without canbus error??

Post by sps170373 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:23 pm

Anyone found any LED bulbs that don’t cause the canbus error?? I’ve had LED bulbs fitted for 4 years now, but would be happy to find a set where I don’t need to keep cancelling the error every drive
SRI 1.4T carbon flash 18" bicolour alloys

jt123
Astra Model: SRi 1.6 CDTI BiTurbo
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Re: Led bulbs without canbus error??

Post by jt123 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:09 pm

Which bulbs are you wanting to replace?

sps170373
Astra Model: SRI 1.4T 150ps
Astra Options: 18" bicolour alloys
Astra Colour: Carbon flash

Post by sps170373 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:08 am

jt123 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:09 pm
The dipped h7 bulbs, already have LED’s but wondered if anyone had found canbus error free bulbs
SRI 1.4T carbon flash 18" bicolour alloys

jt123
Astra Model: SRi 1.6 CDTI BiTurbo
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Post by jt123 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:17 pm

sps170373 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:08 am
jt123 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:09 pm
The dipped h7 bulbs, already have LED’s but wondered if anyone had found canbus error free bulbs
I don't think so, I've not tried LED's in the headlights but I have with the breaks/indicators & reverse bulbs. All of them require a resistor. Even though some bulbs do claim to be "error free" I've not had success with any of them

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:07 pm

It is very difficult to make these bulbs error free, as you would need to burn off the watt's that the LED bulb does not use.

If the LED bulb only uses 15Watts and the original uses 55W, you need to burn the additional 40 Watts in a resistor.

If you want to burn 40 Watts at 12 Volts you need a 3.6 ohm resistor with a rating of atleast 40Watts and remember that a the 40 Watts will not magically disappear, but rather be converted to heat, so the resistor needs to be mounted to somewhere, it can disperse the heat to, otherwise it will overheat very quickly.

You need something that looks like this, it has holes to be able to screw it into the chassis somewhere.

https://www.surplussales.com/Images/Res ... 0-1_lg.jpg

The reason for example flasher LED's have built in resistors are, they dont need to burn of nearly as many watts, and they are usually not run continuously for hours, but only used for blinking when turning.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

af8173

Post by af8173 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:20 pm

I looked around for a long time for some decent headlight bulbs for the K, and finally found some, so I registered an account just to answer this as it needs addressing !!

I cannot recommend highly enough the Twenty20 H7 Projector LED bulbs that HIDS4U sell (https://www.hids4u.co.uk/h7-twenty20-pr ... -pair.html).

They fit inside the housing perfectly with no modification required. From memory, to make things easier you can remove the heatsink as I initially had trouble getting the metal prongs in place that hold the bulb. Once I tried this that wasn't an issue and they fit tight and secure. If you have any trouble, phone the website, they're great.

They keep the correct beam pattern so I've never been flashed by another driver, dazzling others was something I was particularly worried about but they don't at all if fitted properly.

These bulbs are designed for projector housings such as the K's. They are much, much brighter than the stock halogen, don't cause any 'bulb out' warnings and come on instantly. They seem to give a wider spread of light, too. They have a 'pure white' light which makes the headlights on the car look like they were LED from the factory. The projector housings in the K are PERFECT for these bulbs.

Twenty20 also make an LED H1 fitting for the full beams (which are reflector housings) that are also sold on that site and they work really well too, they flash on/off instantly so are much better for full beam than the stock halogens, much safer IMO.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:12 pm

af8173 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:20 pm
I looked around for a long time for some decent headlight bulbs for the K, and finally found some, so I registered an account just to answer this as it needs addressing !!

I cannot recommend highly enough the Twenty20 H7 Projector LED bulbs that HIDS4U sell (https://www.hids4u.co.uk/h7-twenty20-pr ... -pair.html).

They fit inside the housing perfectly with no modification required. From memory, to make things easier you can remove the heatsink as I initially had trouble getting the metal prongs in place that hold the bulb. Once I tried this that wasn't an issue and they fit tight and secure. If you have any trouble, phone the website, they're great.

They keep the correct beam pattern so I've never been flashed by another driver, dazzling others was something I was particularly worried about but they don't at all if fitted properly.

These bulbs are designed for projector housings such as the K's. They are much, much brighter than the stock halogen, don't cause any 'bulb out' warnings and come on instantly. They seem to give a wider spread of light, too. They have a 'pure white' light which makes the headlights on the car look like they were LED from the factory. The projector housings in the K are PERFECT for these bulbs.

Twenty20 also make an LED H1 fitting for the full beams (which are reflector housings) that are also sold on that site and they work really well too, they flash on/off instantly so are much better for full beam than the stock halogens, much safer IMO.
If only that Damn EU would legalise these bulbs for road use. (I know you are soon out of that rats nest EU so maybe you will be able to decide for yourselves in the future)

Those EU idiots, say that it is okay to have no rear light on, during the day, to save a measly 2*5W but when it comes to legalising bulbs that would save about 2*40 watt's it suddenly not at all possible.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.