Car Service

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
farrinaf
Astra Model: Elite 1.4T ST 150 (2016)

Car Service

Post by farrinaf » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:13 pm

To set the scene my annual mileage is very low circa 1500 miles - normally two outings a week. Because of this I use Premium Shell petrol. Yes, I know I would be better off with an electrical vehicle ...

My 1.4 T (148bhp) ST bought second hand is coming up to 4 years old (21,000 on the clock) its next service is a “major”. I have been quoted £280 by the local Stealer (sorry I mean main Vauxhall Dealer Lookers).

I asked what exactly was in scope for the service and received a “waffley” response - oil, pollen, air, fuel filter etc....

On enquring what was the position with regards to brake fluid - do they test it for water content, I was advised I could have the fluid changed (if I wanted) for £59.

It was then suggested that if I wanted the spark plugs changing this could be undertaken for £50.

This struck me as odd as either it needs doing or not, but this approach seemed to put the onus on the customer to decide how deep their wallet was and not on a methodical prescriptive approach.

Frankly I was completely unimpressed, feeling that I was being treated as a cash cow and am now considering taking my business outside the main dealer network.

This is not a step I shall take lightly owing to the ongoing LPSI issue with the 1.4T I was intending to stay within the dealer network until car was 6 years old, on basis there might be a modicum of goodwill from Vauxhall should the engine unfortunately expire.

I wonder if anyone has access to exactly what should be “officially” checked at a major (4th) service.

Additionally I am aware of the Vauxhall recall to address LPSI issues (my car was subject to this) and the change of oil specification.

Does anyone have access to official statement prescribing exactly what oil is in scope ?

Crunchynut
Astra Model: Elite 1.6 diesel 136

Re: Car Service

Post by Crunchynut » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:22 am

I agree with your observations. Hit and miss.

I noticed that the difference between interim and main was £100 plus the replacement of the air filter and key fob battery!

I’m now tending just to get messy oil and filter done plus codes check at dealer (along with mot which will check suspension, brakes etc), and then do the rest myself. At least I know when it was done.

This site may give you the information you need.

https://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/dam/ ... hedule.pdf
Elite 1.6 CDTi 136ps Hatch

farrinaf

Post by farrinaf » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:10 am

A belated thank you for your response.
Interestingly the document you referenced also appears to recommend replacing the drive and timing belts (although this was not mentioned during my call) I imagine this could be serious money.

So so far we have

Major service £280
Brake Fluid £59
Spark Plugs £50

So that's £389 plus cost of timing/drive belts

No wonder people desert Main Dealers ...

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:39 am

The 1.4t Le2 engine has a timing chain so no need to change. When these engines came out GM boasted spark plugs and auxiliary drive belt rated to a 150k miles.
I would have spark plugs replaced every 4 years myself and do a thorough visual inspection of the aux belt at 4 years old.

Screenshot_20201023-105148_Samsung Internet.jpg

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by Pompeydave » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:34 pm

Hi
My son in law is doing my next service through his workshop , a lot cheaper , using genuine parts and service booked stamped to keep warranty in tact.
If you can find a decent local garage you will get better personal service , only downside is they can't do the latest software updates which when I visited my local dealership last time they made a big thing of.

1900sr
Astra Model: 2015 SRi 1.0
Astra Options: None
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by 1900sr » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:41 pm

According to this on the current VX website https://www.vauxhall.co.uk/owners/maint ... or-service brake fluid is part of the main service (every two years) and spark plugs the major. In my experience Vauxhall have got very stingy since PSA took over and are not that willing to contribute to repair costs out of warranty so I wouldn't be too concerned about using main dealers, as long as you make sure they are using the correct spec parts, especially the oil which is on it's 3rd recommended spec since the car came out.

Edit, cost should be £305 for the major service including plugs and brake fluid.
2015 1.0i Turbo SRi, Power Red.

farrinaf

Post by farrinaf » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:07 pm

Thanks to all for suggestions/observations.

If Vauxhall (PSA) are now playing “hardball” regarding goodwill, I see no reason to maintain an ongoing relationship with their expensive servicing regime ...

Heavily snipped ...
1900sr wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:41 pm
especially the oil which is on it's 3rd recommended spec since the car came out.

You don’t by any chance have a link/source for the latest official oil specification ?

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:38 pm

See this thread regarding 3rd oil spec.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7006

It is not backward compatible with your engine though

farrinaf

Post by farrinaf » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:58 pm

Redman wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:38 pm
It is not backward compatible with your engine though
Thanks Redman, although TBH I was rather looking for the “official” oil specification for my engine ...

1900sr
Astra Model: 2015 SRi 1.0
Astra Options: None
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by 1900sr » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:24 am

farrinaf wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:07 pm

You don’t by any chance have a link/source for the latest official oil specification ?
Sorry, I may have muddied the water a bit. I have an early 1.0T. The manual states 5w30 or 5w40 Dexos 2 oil. It was then changed to Dexos 1 gen 2 due to the problems with LSPI, see this thread started by a Vx service advisor in 2017 viewtopic.php?t=2855 . More recently the spec has changed again to the 0w20 as per the thread Redman has linked to, but while it covers all model years of 1.0 it seems it's only the later 1.4.

On a couple of occasions during my ownership I have asked VX customer services what spec oil should be used, and both times they have referred me to the dealer.

With regards to out of warranty repair contributions my not quite 5 year old car with 50k on the clock and full main dealer service history recently suffered a failed clutch slave cylinder. I have a friend who works for a main dealer in another part of the country and after speaking to her service manager and looking at the car history they thought VX would probably pay 80%. Despite both the dealer and myself contacting VX I got nothing.
2015 1.0i Turbo SRi, Power Red.