New car or new tyres?

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Henners

Re: New car or new tyres?

Post by Henners » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:16 am

Shaky wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:02 pm
It could also be just that you're very sensitive to the firm ride of the Astra. I've got a 16 plate 1.4T Elite that has the Watts link and although it does indeed stick to the road like glue in the corners, I do find it a very hard ride.

I was considering swapping the 18" alloys for some 15" ones and shoving some 195/65 tyres on it to see if that softened it up by any appreciable amount but decided just to stick with it to see if i got used to it - I haven't - lol but the car is so nice to drive that I'll put up with it as the seats more than make up for the hard ride.

I suppose the Astra has always had a bit of a "sporty" reputation so Vauxhall will have tuned the suspension to keep it in that guise.
I was looking for the same sort of thing! Our other car is an ancient Polo on 14 inch wheels. It's sooooo smooth...
Astra seats seem to fit me perfectly.

It's interesting that even the Watts cars are 'sporting'.

Scotty_b
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 Sri
Astra Options: Flux Capacitor
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Scotty_b » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:22 am

I fitted Avon ZV7s, which are quieter than the Bridgestones but nothing major. Don't expect a big improvement regardless of what tyres you fit.

Old Codger
Astra Model: Tech Line Nav 1.4T (125)
Astra Options: 17" Alloy wheels
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by Old Codger » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:14 am

I changed from the dreaded Bridgestone tyres to Michelin primacy 4 about 18 months ago. Pleased with their performance, but a lot of the noise/uncomfortable ride is due to the poor state of a lot of UK roads.
M25 junction 5 - 9 will shake your fillings out regardless of tyres fitted. :o
Studying at the University of Life

Kcirtap
Astra Model: CDTI 1.6
Astra Options: ELITE
Astra Colour: Flip Chip

Post by Kcirtap » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:52 am

Old Codger wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:14 am
I changed from the dreaded Bridgestone tyres to Michelin primacy 4 about 18 months ago. Pleased with their performance, but a lot of the noise/uncomfortable ride is due to the poor state of a lot of UK roads.
M25 junction 5 - 9 will shake your fillings out regardless of tyres fitted. :o
😂😂

I did exactly the same as you! Moved to the primacy 4 extra load as they have the lowest road noise in class but commuted from the M4 to J9 of the M25!!
Need to sack in the car and get a hovercraft for that road!!!

Moved house and job now - deep down I wonder if the road played a part!

But I think the new tyres made a world of difference.
At work we also have Astra’s, bmw 535d’s, sprinter vans and Nissan leafs. None of them are quiet to drive in terms of road noise. The leaf is very quiet but you can still hear the tyres on the road!

nsanderson
Astra Model: 1.6T SRi 200 Nav
Astra Options: AGR seat, winter pack,parking sensors, spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by nsanderson » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:35 pm

Had Bridgestone tyres at first - they were utter garbage.
Changed to Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 - they weren't much quieter and were completely flummoxed by snow and wintry weather.
Changed to Michelin CrossClimate+ tyres - softer riding, much quieter and not flummoxed by snow and wintry weather.

This is the list of the tyres I tried on my original MK7 Astra - a 1,4Twith no Watts Link and no Acoustic Pack sound proofing.
The 1.6T is now sporting CrossClimate+ tyres and they've been quiet and pliant all year round.

The 1.6T has sound proofing in the inner wings (I think there was a diagram on here somewhere?) and it is that which makes the biggest difference to the road noise. The Watts Link allows softer suspension and allows for better handling.

So in summary, except for finding a 1,6T like I did, I'd suggest the under bonnet sound deadening panel, the false floor filled with all your boot stuff and changing the tyres to Michelin.
1.6T (200) SRi Nav - Power Red, AGR seat, winter pack, parking sensors, spare wheel,

Icy
Astra Model: 1.6 CDTi 100kW Innovation
Astra Options: Intellilux LED
Astra Colour: Cosmic grey

Post by Icy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:50 pm

This week i replaced summer 17" alloys for winter set 16" steel wheels. Previous winter season i had Nokian winter tyres.
Now i bought new set of tyres for this winter as old Nokian did not have enough profile.

I cant believe how different car feels now. Like i am driving different car now.
I complained about harsh ride previous winter on Nokians. Same on summer set of Bridgestones.
Now the car is comfortable. Cant believe the difference tyres can make.

Henners

Post by Henners » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:34 am

"This week i replaced summer 17" alloys for winter set 16" steel wheels. Previous winter season i had Nokian winter tyres.
Now i bought new set of tyres for this winter as old Nokian did not have enough profile."

I wonder how much was the tyre change and how much the deeper profile. Much more rubber and air between you and the road! I have been looking at 16" wheels, but the garage is stuffed enough at the moment...

Henners

Post by Henners » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:38 am

So in summary, except for finding a 1,6T like I did, I'd suggest the under bonnet sound deadening panel, the false floor filled with all your boot stuff and changing the tyres to Michelin.

I have the squishy stuff in the front wings, but no other sound deadening. Strange how the deletions seem so random! I think I'll go and have a chat with Monsieur Michelin. He does seem to have the answer, especially this time of year. Thanks for all the advice.

Henners

Post by Henners » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:41 am

I did exactly the same as you! Moved to the primacy 4 extra load as they have the lowest road noise in class but commuted from the M4 to J9 of the M25!!
Need to sack in the car and get a hovercraft for that road!!!

I drove that section in a BMW 5 series. It was reassuringly terrible in that as well!

Elite75
Astra Model: Elite Nav 1.6T
Astra Colour: Mineral Black

Post by Elite75 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:23 pm

I think I'll have to get a set of pilot sport 4s in the spring, the factory bridgestone turanza 001s spin-up way too easy!