New car or new tyres?

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Henners

New car or new tyres?

Post by Henners » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:56 pm

I’m a new member, hoping you can help. This forum is brilliant. Apologies for starting a thread, but I can see several others overlapping and I’m not sure on the protocol.

I have an Sri diesel, no Watts link, no acoustic pack, and find it noisier and with a much harder ride than I would like. The tyres on the front are Goodyear Asymmetric 3; on the back are the famous Bridgestones. I think these are the originals, with 53,000 miles, so pretty used up. They are also saw-toothed. (I’d never heard of this before reading posts on here!)

I’m pretty sure the noise and 'crashy' ride is from the Bridgestones, but it’s hard to tell. Potholes etc are plentiful where I live and make for a brutal drive.

I’m about to change all four tyres for something squishy and quiet – and maybe some more soundproofing – but would it make a huge difference? Are the non-Watts cars always more sporty than comfortable? I know I can just change my car, but there are many things I like about the Astra.

Has anyone changed tyres and found the car transformed? I guess the noise can be sorted, but what about the hard ride? Is it the tyres or the suspension? I do appreciate that others love it!

LADmachining
Astra Model: Astra-K 1.6t SRi Nav VX-Line
Astra Colour: Sovereign Silver

Re: New car or new tyres?

Post by LADmachining » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:10 pm

New tyres will definitely reduce road noise, especially if the old ones are saw-toothed, as you suggest.

Which size wheels does your Astra have? I found the 17's of the my CDTi SRi to be quite compliant - running the tyres at the ECO pressure makes the ride noticeably harsher.

I test drove a 1.6t SRi recently, and didn't notice a massive difference in ride comfort from my car in the 20mins I was driving it.

Gareth d

Post by Gareth d » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:35 pm

Fitted michelin pilot sport 4 's great tyres, have them sitting 34psi as seems to be best for handling and noise

Henners

Post by Henners » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:46 pm

Thanks! They are 17 inch wheels on the Sri.
I guess the 1.6 had a watts link. I think it allows softer suspension and so transmits less noise.

Finston Pickle
Astra Model: 1.6 Petrol Turbo SRI Nav Sports tourer
Astra Options: AGR seats;Wntr Pk;Sp Whl;S/Rf;Tints;CD plyr;P/Sens
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Finston Pickle » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:32 pm

It's worth checking out this thread for ideas - if you haven't notived it before:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5003&start=20
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

Shaky
Astra Model: 1.4T Elite Nav Sports Tourer
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Shaky » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:02 pm

It could also be just that you're very sensitive to the firm ride of the Astra. I've got a 16 plate 1.4T Elite that has the Watts link and although it does indeed stick to the road like glue in the corners, I do find it a very hard ride.

I was considering swapping the 18" alloys for some 15" ones and shoving some 195/65 tyres on it to see if that softened it up by any appreciable amount but decided just to stick with it to see if i got used to it - I haven't - lol but the car is so nice to drive that I'll put up with it as the seats more than make up for the hard ride.

I suppose the Astra has always had a bit of a "sporty" reputation so Vauxhall will have tuned the suspension to keep it in that guise.
I am Homer of Borg. Resistance is..............Hmmmm Doughnuts.
Keyless Ignition, Power Tailgate, Parking Sensors. Detachable Towbar, Corsa E Headlight Switch.

Scotty_b
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 Sri
Astra Options: Flux Capacitor
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Scotty_b » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:48 pm

Sadly it will always be loud, regardless of what tyre you fit.

I changed tyres, sound proofed the boot area and arches which made no disernable difference.

jt123
Astra Model: SRi 1.6 CDTI BiTurbo
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Post by jt123 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:39 pm

I run 18" low profiles, the car is even lowered on eibach springs and even I don't find it a hard ride, maybe I'm just used to it :lol:

Henners

Post by Henners » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:05 am

Thanks for the information. Really useful.

I didn't know about the Watts link/acoustic pack deletion and somehow test drove one with and bought one without. My memory of the first car is it being smooth and quiet! It may well be that in the excitement I misjudged. They were both used, so only myself to blame. I should have come here first!

The car does have a 'feel-good' factor. I really like the seats and totally get why they are popular. I'm secretly looking for a 1.6 for more power. Must be gorgeous. I find myself looking under the back of Astras for the Watts bar, like a bit of a perv!

I had a J for a bit. 16 inch wheels. A wonderful magic carpet on the roads around us. I put Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres on and floated over potholes. It was like a party trick.

I tested a Megane recently. Lots of things I didn't like, but it was like putting on noise cancelling headphones.

Henners

Post by Henners » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:08 am

Scotty_b wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:48 pm
Sadly it will always be loud, regardless of what tyre you fit.

I changed tyres, sound proofed the boot area and arches which made no disernable difference.
That's just what I wanted/didn't want to hear! I don't want to spend £500 and not be happy.
Sorry it didn't work for you. What tyres?