danx55
Astra Model: 1.4.t 150 sri nav
Astra Options: sport mode ;)
Astra Colour: power red..i think

flashing nav screen .. then all dark!?

Post by danx55 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:56 pm

hi guys.
hope you are all keeping well

odd one.... other day my nav display started flashing like the strobe lights at a disco! 😮
..... still doing it next day, so disconnected battery for few minutes ... but still same after

.... then reset all user settings .... that seemed to stop it .... but when turned unit back on.... screen totally black!! ☹️

... music still plays from usb .... but can't see Jack ☹️

dead screen?

thanks
Dan

danx55

Re: flashing nav screen .. then all dark!?

Post by danx55 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:33 pm

ok....so it came back to life a bit later ... bit flickery .... oddly the audio screen only shows half the details 😕

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by Pompeydave » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:41 pm

Hi Dan
Hope you are well , that screen sounds like it's knackered , there was a thread a couple of days ago about individual bits you could buy instead of the whole thing , how long have you had you car now Dan ? I remember you getting it , just wondered if you can get anything under warranty.
That said mines developed a whining from alternator area , took it into VX , left for 4 hours , they wouldn't let me wait for it so sat around an industrial park only to be told 'sorry can't find anything' with an attitude to go with it !
Just because I wasn't spending £250 or more on a service they gave me the cold shoulder and fobbed me off.
So with your screen Dan I would push like mad and see what they say , at least they can't say they can't find anything wrong lol

danx55

Post by danx55 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:56 pm

hiya Dave.

there for quick reply... bugger! just out of warranty unfortunately.... ended in feb ☹️

...bit crap about your service issue attitude 😕

cheers
Dan

Joseph Archer
Astra Model: 136Hp 1.6 CDTi SRI

Post by Joseph Archer » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:48 pm

Hello Dan,

I had the right hand half of the screen flickering at startup which stopped after 3mins but screen still darker than normal. At 3.5 years, there are multiple similar posts with units at same age. The good news is a £50 screen from Aliexpress fixed it, the bad news it is a DIY but no too hard. Although there is the risk of damaging expensive trim and navi system parts.

Vauxhall will want £1k to replace the control panel.

As your symptoms are different to mine you would have to decide if screen replacement is the way to go for you. Perhaps Vauxhall will do a recall and fit new ones for everyone also ( :roll: )

AC2019's thread is useful for completing the task viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6822&p=61870&hilit ... ent#p61870

Not on that thread is the following process for stripping the control panel down. I think AC2019, who wrote it, sourced a replacement control panel unit assembly which I'v seen for £400ish used and £900 new

A tip is to have double sided tape to connect the replacement screen to the existing touch screen you will also need the plastic levers to remove the trim as described in the thread - I used a set from ebay for £3. (also need 7mm socket and ratchet tool for AC2019's part of process + for below stanley knife or other thin sharp knife + cross head screwdriver)

1. place control panel unit face down, take a picture and take all the screws out. Take the back off the unit and set it aside.
2. disconnect touch screen and screen cables. (they are laptop style - lift up the bar, note how far the ribbon goes in for reconnection later and remove ribbon cable).
3. remove screen and touchscreen assembly - the ribbon cable will pull through the slit in the frame (but will not go back in see below).
4. with a sharp thin blade cut the screen away from the touchscreen all the way round. (careful!). put touchscreen down where it will not pickup smudges.
5. make sure the replacement screen is clean and attach to touchscreen with double sided tape.
6. reassemble the two connected screens with the frame, the ribbon cable that goes through the frame of the front of the unit will not go back in as it was pulled out - disconnect the plastic structure at the bottom of the frame that the ribbon cable goes through by opening the three clips that hold it in, put the ribbon cable back in place and reattach the plastic structure with the clips. Is suppose it might be easier to do this before taking the ribbon cable out in step 3 earlier, but I'm not sure
7. reattached the two ribbon cables for the screen and touch screen. (push the ribbon into the same place as when disconnected and push down bar over each of the connectors)
8. reassemble parts of the unit, place the cover back on and when looks correct screw in all the screws on the back. (check the two screens are held in place nicely by the frame at the front of the unit all the way round)

Then back to the other thread to reinstall - don't forgot to test the unit when the two connectors are back attached to the car before refitting trim. go back and check the ribbon cables in step 7 where correctly reattached may be one issue if not working.

Aliexpress also had the screen and touchscreens which are connected for sale but as my touchscreen was OK I decided to save some £'s and do the extra steps above.

danx55

Post by danx55 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:06 am

hi Joseph,

ahh...i see ...known issue ...bummer :( ..... but many thanks for all the info :) ....... my issue isnt that far off yours i dont think ,,,,, as after about 5 mins the right side flicker stops ,,,,,, but then the music screen didnt display fully ...... and the other screens were darker

...yikes! yes 1k is a bit much :o ....wondering if an after market unit would fit? :/ ....... ie just plug it in to the nav aerial feed

thanks
dan

danx55

Post by danx55 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:17 am

mmm....dont think it is as sounds like it is split up into different sections hidden in the dash :/

...just tried it again this am .... all seems to work ok ...just cant see much on music screen and generally doesnt look so good ....so assume it must just be the panel that is stuffed

danx55

Post by danx55 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:22 am

yikes! vx want over £650 for just the panel!! :o

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:46 pm

Joseph Archer wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:48 pm
Perhaps Vauxhall will do a recall and fit new ones for everyone also ( :roll: )
Unless it is a safety concern and they really have no choice i can guarantee you they will not do anything.

I have a rather long list of bad parts, that has been fitted to various Opel's i have owned over the years where opel did NOT want to help out in any way...Except to remedy the problem at full price, and i had to pay.

On my current astra this includes

Rubber gaitors on the top of the shocks, that disintegrated in less than 3 years, from new.

Steering wheel can be moved 1 cm up/down in the locked position...Luckily this was not a fail on my MOT a few months ago, but in the UK, it seems that it is a failed MOT and vauxhall will want you to pay a lot of money to have the steering columbn changed to one where the manufacturing defect is not present.

Chain rattle on startup, because chain guides are weak, and the plastic on them, falls off, weak tensioner that has been upgraded on later models, and oil weak oil pump that has been upgraded on later models.

And then there were the brake / clutch recall, that they actually did, because it is actually really dangerous if your brake suddenly stop working :D
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

danx55

Post by danx55 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:40 pm

nightmare! :o .... yes defo dont want brakes packing up!! ....my handbrake is hopeless but normal ones seem ok .... but i do get an odd steering wheel movement if i lean a bit too much on it :/