Would you buy an Astra K again?

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
GT_Kenny

Would you buy an Astra K again?

Post by GT_Kenny » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:57 pm

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and currently looking the market for a medium sized (used) family car as my newborn has just arrived. I have to say I'm in agony over choosing the right car. It feels like a minefield.

Among many the Astra K would be an obvious choice. It feels like I would get a lot of car for my money, but then I started reading about the engine issues, mushy brakes, brake failures, etc, and got very discouraged.

I'm wondering if anyone of you guys regretted your choice? If you're really honest, would you buy it again if you have the chance? Would you buy something else instead?

For me automatic is a must so the only choice is the Astra 1.4i Turbo and my budget would allow one with around 20K miles on the clock.

I guess what I need is a bit of encouragement or ideas for good alternatives. Should I just go ahead and buy one and purchase an extra warranty from warrantywise for a piece of mind?

Thanks for any comments and apologies for my rambling. I'm just a little bit sleep deprived new dad who wants a reliable car :D

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Re: Would you buy an Astra K again?

Post by Pompeydave » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:31 pm

Hi GT_kenny
Welcome to the site , it's the place for any info and we will help out as much as poss.
Would I buy another k ? Very good question.
I'm very happy with my 1.6t Sri vx-line nav , nearly 2 years old and going well , nippy and good mpg.
BUT I won't buy another as they are virtually French now and you can get a lot of car elsewhere.
Also I like a change max 2 years.

For me to p/x to another k I can only get max 145hp model , bit of a drop from 200 I've got now but it won't be my choice now , I'd go for another seat Leon . Also like the A-class merc or Audi A3.

I certainly wouldn't spend a lot on a new Astra I'm afraid. They are good value 2nd hand and will lose a lot of £££ in the 1st couple of years.

It is a minefield out there but I would consider a nearly new or 6 months old car instead of new. Huge savings to be had.

It all depends on your budget ?

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:15 pm

Reading in here, and other places i would not at all buy a 1.4 petrol, and even more so, if it was used, as there has been major issues with the 1.4 engine "disintegrating" inside due to LSPI.

Yes, they say the problem is solved, but who knows if the previous owner has worn down the parts that crack to 5% and then you need a new engine after 6 months.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Gareth d

Post by Gareth d » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:10 pm

I got my 1.4t astra nearly two years ago at one year old and 12000 miles on it, in that time I've had two new headlights fitted, a new rear window due to a failed dab ariel that is built into it, a clicking clutch pedal box... Apart from that it's been fine. Had a focus ecoboost previous and had a lot of coolant system components and an engine fail due to the engine running too hot... Once it got to 3 year old I got shot of it, think I will get rid of the astra come January, looking at a 2 year old kia stinger and an audi a5 3 years old but definitely not another vauxhall

Scotty_b
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 Sri
Astra Options: Flux Capacitor
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Scotty_b » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:13 pm

If the facelift had the 1.6T then I would.

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:11 pm

I have had an early 16 plate 1.4t 150 elite nav with manual gearbox. I have a 19 plate astra of the same spec presently- so did buy again. My experiences have been all good.

I believe the new engines in the k are still gm design and psa group decided to carry production through, as the present psa group engines wouldn't fit in.
All models of cars have some faults and most car manufacturers have suffered with lspi.

NIGHTCD
Astra Model: 2018, 1,6T Automatic OPC-Line
Astra Options: All except sunroof
Astra Colour: White

Post by NIGHTCD » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:16 am

Hei,

Have had 3 Astra K, so i have been that mad.
(But have been running Opel for nearly 30 years).

Have had
- 2016 Astra K 1.6 Diesel (136 with automatic)
- 2016.5 Astra K 1.4 turbo (150 with automatic)
- 2018.5 Astra K 1.6 turvo (200 with automatic)

The 1.4 turbo, the only issue was master brake cylinder (changed on warany and some door seals that was corroded and flaky aluminium rims)
Was never any issue with the enginge, and the car is still running without any issues.

880PEL
Astra Model: OPC-line 1,6T Automatic

Post by 880PEL » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:43 am

I would not.
Because current 1.6T automatic is way too good to replace :)
Majority of them runs and drives well. There are some thing to be aware of when seeking for 2nd hand Astra:

1. Engine should be 1600cc. 1.4 have common issues.
2. Gearbox should be automatic. Manuals have common cluch; crankshaft issues.

When looking for diesel then it´s all about cold start chain noise. If it´s loud > walk away.

I bought top engine; top trim; top spec car and am planning to keep for 10 years or so.

RONWOOD
Astra Model: SRi 1.4 SPORTS TOURER
Astra Colour: SUMMIT WHITE

Post by RONWOOD » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:03 am

I have owned the 1.4T auto SRI Sports tourer (estate) for 3 years 15000 miles, my other car is a Porsche
The car has never let me down and has had NO faults since new.
No engine problems whatsoever.
Pros
Easy to drive, comfortable, good auto box and no turbo lag
Roomy with huge boot.
Nippy with excellent handling
Low maintenance costs, no oil used, 40+mpg, low tyre wear, brakes still original and good 3 year servicing deal from Vauxhall
Sat nav and entertainment system works well.
Cons
One recall to update engine software.
Hope this helps,
Ron

GT_Kenny

Post by GT_Kenny » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:00 am

Thank you for all your inputs gents! I steered towards Honda Civic Tourer in the last couple of days but tempted to look around again in Vauxhall land.
I literally can't find a single 1.6 petrol automatic Astra K in the UK. Did the UK only got 1.4T? Diesels make me feel like I'm a cab driver so that's a no-go.