Digital tacho from insignia fitted and working

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
pepe

Digital tacho from insignia fitted and working

Post by pepe » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:18 pm

I was bored with the standard Astra K speedo, and found out the Insignia B digital cluster was a straight fit. Just take some trims off and unscrew two bolts, that’s it. Of course it needed some programming to get it working, but everything is fully working now.

sebullo
Astra Model: Astra K MY17
Astra Options: SRi NAV 1.4T 150HP
Astra Colour: Grey - 10A

Re: Digital tacho from insignia fitted and working

Post by sebullo » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:42 pm

Looks pretty awesome! Could you please tell us some more details about "some programming"?

pepe

Post by pepe » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:01 am

Most important is to program your car's VIN number to the cluster to get the odometer to work.
Unfortunately Vauxhall/Opel cannot do this, as their software will throw up an error that the unit is not suitable for the Astra.
However, with custom software this is all doable.
When the VIN is programmed you will need to activate and deactivate some functions according to the specs of your car.
For this you need a special cable and special software. I am not a techie so I found someone who did it for me.
You might want to contact EzioAuditore on this forum, he can help you out programming the unit.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:44 am

Do you by any chance atleast see what the "special software" is called.

I know of no "official" "alternative" software for programming these things so i would guess that the software is probably something they wrote themselves, and as such this will not be a "simple switch and program" job at all.

Did they program the cluster, in the car....Ie, was the "change VIN and functions" something that was done with the cluster in the car or did they have to program it, out of the car, using clips to connect to individual chips or connectors ?
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

MrSM82
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 SRi Nav (Auto)
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Post by MrSM82 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:48 pm

Are the rev counter, fuel and temperature gauges digital too or is it just that the numbers are hard to see when the car is off?

pepe

Post by pepe » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:37 pm

These gauges on the side are analogue, the part within is an 8” digital screen. It is possible to program some more gauges within this screen, such as oil and boost pressure, and battery voltage. But I preferred the cleaner look without all these extra gauges.

pepe

Post by pepe » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:40 pm

astraowner wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:44 am
Do you by ....
I do not know the details or name of the software used, you have to contact the guy I mentioned in my previous post, or send me a PM and I can get you in touch via Facebook.
The programming can be done either in the car via the bcm connector, or on the bench if you send the unit over to his place. Whether it could be done remotely I can’t say.

EzioAuditore

Post by EzioAuditore » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:38 pm

astraowner wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:44 am
Do you by any chance atleast see what the "special software" is called.

I know of no "official" "alternative" software for programming these things so i would guess that the software is probably something they wrote themselves, and as such this will not be a "simple switch and program" job at all.

Did they program the cluster, in the car....Ie, was the "change VIN and functions" something that was done with the cluster in the car or did they have to program it, out of the car, using clips to connect to individual chips or connectors ?
I wrote indeed the software myself, programming is all via OBD.
Don't have go to medieval on it luckily :lol:

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:05 pm

EzioAuditore wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:38 pm

So what functions can the software do.

I was under the impression that variant coding for various modules on the Astra K, was only possible if you have the right VCI's but it seems that you can enable and disable functions without VCI.

Can your software do other things as well.

For example....Enable the reverse camera function on the radio ? Enable and disable other menu items and functions on the display. (For example...setting to enable automatic seat heating for cars with only front heated seats....A guy on here said that his Australian Holden ...Astra K, had this function even though he only has heated front seats)

I bet you could make a bit of money if you could make software that enabled these functions via OBD and sold a kit to do it.

What OBD dongle do you use ?
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

EzioAuditore

Post by EzioAuditore » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:29 pm

astraowner wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:05 pm
EzioAuditore wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:38 pm

So what functions can the software do.

I was under the impression that variant coding for various modules on the Astra K, was only possible if you have the right VCI's but it seems that you can enable and disable functions without VCI.

Can your software do other things as well.

For example....Enable the reverse camera function on the radio ? Enable and disable other menu items and functions on the display. (For example...setting to enable automatic seat heating for cars with only front heated seats....A guy on here said that his Australian Holden ...Astra K, had this function even though he only has heated front seats)

I bet you could make a bit of money if you could make software that enabled these functions via OBD and sold a kit to do it.

What OBD dongle do you use ?
It won't be Tech2 easy (setting something to Present) all of the above is possible through the software I built.
The software I built uses a J2534 device, use an MDI2 myself.
Software is not up for sale