wireless charger

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
astraowner
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:54 am
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

wireless charger

Post by astraowner » Fri May 15, 2020 11:45 am

So, the 2019 onwards Astra's has wireless charging.

But is it only the models with electric handbrake ?

Have seen pictures of where to put the phone to charge, but only seen it with electric handbrake.

Have just gotten a phone that supports wireless, and was wondering if it would be possible to buy a new centre console part, where the charger is and swap it out with the one i have now. Manual handbrake though.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

MisterEChops
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:00 am

Re: wireless charger

Post by MisterEChops » Mon May 18, 2020 2:25 am

Do you not use CarPlay/Android Auto?

AFAIK this rules out using wireless charging

astraowner
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:54 am
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: wireless charger

Post by astraowner » Mon May 18, 2020 8:13 pm

MisterEChops wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:25 am
Do you not use CarPlay/Android Auto?

AFAIK this rules out using wireless charging
Depends....If i am driving to work i dont use it, the trip is only 20-25 minutes and the car almost knows the way all by itself, but it would be nice to be able to just pop the phone in the hole and it would charge.

If the phone is low on power i usually top it up a bit on the way home, but me being a bit of a forgetful guy, i usually remember that it needs a charge, after i drive off, and it would be great to be able to just pop it in the hole and not have to deal with the wire in the armrest and trying to put the USB plug into the phone.Not to mention, that would be seen as "using a mobile device while driving" (yes, you only need to hold it in your hand) and this is illegal. If i could take it out of the pocket and put it into the charger hole, it would not be an offence :D

Also, the day google releases their "chromecast" device for AA, and you just plug it into the USB and you have Android Auto Wireless, the wireless charger will be a great feature, you dont need to fiddle with wires ever again in the car ;)
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

MisterEChops
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:00 am

Re: wireless charger

Post by MisterEChops » Wed May 20, 2020 1:03 am

astraowner wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:13 pm
MisterEChops wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:25 am
Do you not use CarPlay/Android Auto?

AFAIK this rules out using wireless charging
Depends....If i am driving to work i dont use it, the trip is only 20-25 minutes and the car almost knows the way all by itself, but it would be nice to be able to just pop the phone in the hole and it would charge.
Keep in mind, the USB port in the Astra is very low amperage... so at best wireless charging is going to be slow

astraowner
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:54 am
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: wireless charger

Post by astraowner » Wed May 20, 2020 3:21 pm

MisterEChops wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:03 am
Keep in mind, the USB port in the Astra is very low amperage... so at best wireless charging is going to be slow
I have 2 charge ports and they both support 1½A charge, the charging current has nothing to do with the USB in the radio as such, it is dependent on the charge circuit inside the part you plug your phone into.

Also, the wireless charger will be feeding off of the 12V supply in the car and have it's own charging circuit to support whatever charging current it will be able to.

My phone supports proprietary 30W wireless charging and 10W QI, and if i could just get 10W QI charging it would be great. This is what i have at my bedside, charging the phone every night.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

MisterEChops
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:00 am

Re: wireless charger

Post by MisterEChops » Thu May 21, 2020 12:54 am

astraowner wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:21 pm
MisterEChops wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:03 am
Keep in mind, the USB port in the Astra is very low amperage... so at best wireless charging is going to be slow
I have 2 charge ports and they both support 1½A charge, the charging current has nothing to do with the USB in the radio as such, it is dependent on the charge circuit inside the part you plug your phone into.

Also, the wireless charger will be feeding off of the 12V supply in the car and have it's own charging circuit to support whatever charging current it will be able to.
Ah yeah, as I suspected then. 1.5A is pretty slow charging.

Sure you can plug your own car charger in so that you can use the wireless charger, but that’s already more effort than just plugging your phone in to the existing setup. Doesn’t make a lot of sense.

astraowner
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:54 am
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: wireless charger

Post by astraowner » Thu May 21, 2020 9:10 am

MisterEChops wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:54 am
Ah yeah, as I suspected then. 1.5A is pretty slow charging.

Sure you can plug your own car charger in so that you can use the wireless charger, but that’s already more effort than just plugging your phone in to the existing setup. Doesn’t make a lot of sense.
1.5A is 15W

My Oneplus 3 that i had until very recently was able to do "Dash Charging" at 18W

The new Iphone SE apple just released is also 18W

I just checked, my daughters huawei is 18W, my wife's pocophone is 18W, my son's Samsung A20e is 15W charge.

You may call 15W charging slow, but honestly, 15/18W is the "speed limit" for a LOT of phones today.

I now have a Oneplus 8 Pro, it is capable of 30W charging, but still it is being charged, using a 10W QI charger on the table by my bed.

Unless you are a 15 year old teenager with the phone glued to your hand, that get the shakes whenever the phone leaves your hand, this is not going to be a problem if it is "only" charged at 15W.

No matter what phone you get, it will only charge at about 15W, from 80-100% anyway.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

880PEL
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:16 am
Astra Model: OPC-line 1,6T Automatic

Re: wireless charger

Post by 880PEL » Thu May 21, 2020 9:49 am

Nope, 1,5A = 7,5W. Charge voltage is 5V.
Still does not matter, 1,5A is plenty enough for most users ;)

Steve
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:32 am
Astra Model: 1.4 150PS Enjoy (Danish spec), Hatch, 16.5
Astra Options: Factory: Tint, climate, LED tail, fogs, armrest
Astra Colour: Power Red
Location: Denmark (but from England)

Re: wireless charger

Post by Steve » Sun May 24, 2020 3:55 pm

astraowner wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:10 am
1.5A is 15W
You need to know the voltage, you can't just "translate" amps to watts.

If it's a standard 5v, as per USB spec, then it's 7.5w. Some wall chargers ramp the voltage up as well, but they need to negotiate with the phone to do so, and there are different standards (Qualcomm QuickCharge, Mediatek Pump Express, blah blah blah). USB-C power delivery is a whole other question, but since the port is type A, then it's going to likely play it safe and just deliver 5v.

That's pretty decent in my books, I'm pretty sure the earlier models (like mine) have an even weaker USB port
ImageImage Astra K 1.4T 150 PS hatch, manual

User avatar
NIGHTCD
Posts: 324
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:05 am
Astra Model: 2018, 1,6T Automatic, Dynamic, OPC-Line
Astra Options: All except sunroof
Astra Colour: White
Location: Norway, outside of Bergen

Re: wireless charger

Post by NIGHTCD » Sun May 31, 2020 3:37 pm

astraowner wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:45 am
So, the 2019 onwards Astra's has wireless charging.

But is it only the models with electric handbrake ?

Have seen pictures of where to put the phone to charge, but only seen it with electric handbrake.

Have just gotten a phone that supports wireless, and was wondering if it would be possible to buy a new centre console part, where the charger is and swap it out with the one i have now. Manual handbrake though.
Will reckon it will be sutable to buy a new center console or parts, there is an control module for the QI charger.

Do you know the partnumber? (Looking for the mod myself)

Regards

Post Reply