ticking/ clicking/ popping metalic noise on engine shut down, air con smell and brakes seizing

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
astraexp

ticking/ clicking/ popping metalic noise on engine shut down, air con smell and brakes seizing

Post by astraexp » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:32 am

Hi all,

Sorry for the many questions but I have a 2017 17 plate Astra K 1.4 SRI and it is just about to come to an end of the manufacturers warranty. It has done 24k miles.

Firstly, there is a ticking/ clicking/ metal tick noise from underneath the car for around 5 mins after the car has been running (even if the car has only done 1/2 mile it still makes noise when turn engine off), is this normal to be still doing this given car is 3 years old with 24k miles so why would plates still be retracting esp when car only went short journey, also does it with long journeys.

Also my brakes seem to be seizing when parked, it almost bumps off and like the wheels thud off brakes when first start car. Also there is maybe a minor grinding noise when braking. Any ideas

And lastly air con seems to have a smell coming from it almost like feet or cheese when initially turn on heating, any ideas?

Thanks

dakeb
Astra Model: 2017 1.6cdti elite nav
Astra Options: automatic
Astra Colour: black

Re: ticking/ clicking/ popping metalic noise on engine shut down, air con smell and brakes seizing

Post by dakeb » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:22 pm

Ticking noises after stopping are normal.

Your brakes need checking, a grinding noise means metal on metal so the pads and discs are worn and need replacing.

Your air-con needs a service. The cabin filter needs replacing.

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Re: ticking/ clicking/ popping metalic noise on engine shut down, air con smell and brakes seizing

Post by Redman » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:34 pm

The clicking noise is contracting hot metal and both my astra's have done It. I wouldn't worry about that myself.
Brake pads absorb moisture when wet and sometimes swell slightly causing them to stick slightly and the discs get a coating of rust on them, so could be that.
Treat your car to an aircon cleaning can. Sell them at halfords or on the internet. Follow the instructions and set it off in the footwell.
The smell is caused by bacteria from the water left in the a.c. system. I switch my a.c. off 5 mins before I reach my destination, but leave the blowers on to dry the system out.

stc954
Astra Model: K Elite Turbo 2017
Astra Colour: Grey

Post by stc954 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:02 pm

Giving my input.

The noise is normal I hear that on my car and she done roughly 14000 miles. No issues.

Aside from the aircon cleaning can, I would change the cabin filter. I changed mine on 11000 miles and it was really dirty.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:34 pm

My rear brakes also sometimes makes a thud, but that is usually if the car has been parked for a couple of days in moist weather and this is because the brake disc starts to rust, and the brakepads "stick" to the disc.

The scraping noise is heard the first few times i brake, while the rust and so on, on the disc is worn off.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

nsanderson
Astra Model: 1.6T SRi 200 Nav
Astra Options: AGR seat, winter pack,parking sensors, spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by nsanderson » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:52 pm

Pretty much what everyone else has said, the clicking/ticking noise happened all the time on the 1.4T but can't say I've noticed it so much on the 1.6T?
The scraping noise is just rusted up brakes - should disappear after a couple of applications.

You can get some cans of air con cleaner that you put in the footwell and leave your car running with the air con and the recycle on (I think). Works to a certain extent so could be worth the £4-5 or so for a can?
1.6T (200) SRi Nav - Power Red, AGR seat, winter pack, parking sensors, spare wheel,