Auto Stop-Start disabler!

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Rob14
Astra Model: SRI, 1.6 CDTI (136), 2016 plate
Astra Colour: Grey

Re: Auto Stop-Start disabler!

Post by Rob14 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:36 am

I see everyone's point regarding the manufacturer only did it because they were forced to. It is a good point. Its similar you can argue to dpf (detriment to the car).

I personally don't have an issue enough with it to change the car system. I like the idea of saving fuel and emissions but I also get what you're all saying about the cost if it does go wrong 👍🏾
SRI, 1.6CDTI, 136bhp, 2016 plate, Manual, Grey,

Rob14
Astra Model: SRI, 1.6 CDTI (136), 2016 plate
Astra Colour: Grey

Post by Rob14 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:48 am

Crosseyxpower wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:46 pm
The rule of thumb that has been tested for small engines and large is that s/s will only start saving you money and fuel if the duration of the engine idling is around 6-7 secs for both petrol and diesel. So, if you can predict that at a certain set of traffic lights you'll be stationary for more than 7 seconds waiting for them to go green then it's pointless activating s/s. As for wear and what not then I'm sure that's minimal over a typical owners duration of ownership of a few years. The main objective of s/s was to reduce emissions, so yet again 6-7 seconds then it is achieved, if not then it's actually more polluting. The main reason for manufactures doing s/s was to decrease the taxation on cars and car tax over ownership. £20 a year for my astra is a bargain compared to most other cars on the road that are even more fuel efficient and cleaner with them paying £145 now. As soon as the taxation on cars emissions changed, so did the amount of new cars being sold!
Sorry Crosseyxpower just read this. Yes I agree. Didn't see you had already mentioned about the 7s rule. I also pay £20 a year road tax, can't complain I used to pay £150+ for a 1.4 atsra H. As I say I like it. I would just press the button to disable to disable it when I don't need it.
SRI, 1.6CDTI, 136bhp, 2016 plate, Manual, Grey,

fryrpc
Astra Model: Sports Tourer 1.6CDTi BiTurbo 160 Elite Nav
Astra Options: IntelliLux and Parking Pack
Astra Colour: Emerald Green

Post by fryrpc » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:38 am

I too press to disable it as part of my startup routine. I then manually press it again when I want to use it i.e. sat at railway crossing and press it again to start the engine when the barriers go up, thus disabling stop/start again. I am just thankful that we have a button that can switch it off - some cars have stop/start and you can't disable it.
Emerald Green Sports Tourer 1.6CDTi BiTurbo 160 Elite Nav with IntelliLux and Parking Pack - delivered 18/05/16

wikke67
Astra Model: Astra K 5-door 2018 Innovation
Astra Options: Halogen headlights
Astra Colour: Black metallic

Post by wikke67 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:17 pm

Thanks for this post. I totally agree, it is undoubtedly the worst thing they have found in the name of saving something. I try to disable it every time I start the car, but sometimes I forget it. When coming back home and parking the car, it stops the engine BEFORE I switch everything off and leave the car. Then I need to start the engine again in order to switch it completely off!! Is this saving something? Another thing, I live in Scandinavia and in winter it can be -15 celcius. I start the car and after 50 meters driving it stops the engine because it wants to save something. Save what?
I am searching a tool to connect with OBD and switch all warning messages off, but so far I haven`t seen any tool for this Astra K 2018 model. Hopefully such a tool will exist some day.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:22 pm

wikke67 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:17 pm
Thanks for this post. I totally agree, it is undoubtedly the worst thing they have found in the name of saving something. I try to disable it every time I start the car, but sometimes I forget it. When coming back home and parking the car, it stops the engine BEFORE I switch everything off and leave the car. Then I need to start the engine again in order to switch it completely off!! Is this saving something? Another thing, I live in Scandinavia and in winter it can be -15 celcius. I start the car and after 50 meters driving it stops the engine because it wants to save something. Save what?
I am searching a tool to connect with OBD and switch all warning messages off, but so far I haven`t seen any tool for this Astra K 2018 model. Hopefully such a tool will exist some day.
Why do you need to restart the car to "switch it off completely" ?

On my 2016 diesel, if it does this i just turn the key to off and take it out as normal. ?
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

wikke67
Astra Model: Astra K 5-door 2018 Innovation
Astra Options: Halogen headlights
Astra Colour: Black metallic

Post by wikke67 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:54 pm

astraowner wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:22 pm
wikke67 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:17 pm
Why do you need to restart the car to "switch it off completely" ?

On my 2016 diesel, if it does this i just turn the key to off and take it out as normal. ?
Because these new cars are so called key-less cars. There is only a button to press for start and stop. When I come back home and park the car, the car thinks that I am stopping at traffic lights and it cannot know that I want to leave the car now. So it stops the motor, but all other electronics stays on. Now, I cannot leave the car like this standing in a parking spot. It doesn`t help if I open the door and leave the car, all electronics will stay on. The only way to switch everything off is to start the engine by pushing the button and then switch it off by pushing the same button again. Genius, right?

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:51 pm

wikke67 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:54 pm
Because these new cars are so called key-less cars. There is only a button to press for start and stop. When I come back home and park the car, the car thinks that I am stopping at traffic lights and it cannot know that I want to leave the car now. So it stops the motor, but all other electronics stays on. Now, I cannot leave the car like this standing in a parking spot. It doesn`t help if I open the door and leave the car, all electronics will stay on. The only way to switch everything off is to start the engine by pushing the button and then switch it off by pushing the same button again. Genius, right?
Aah, i forgot about the keyless start system. Not a lot of people buy this option here, for 2 reasons.

The added price is not worth it and the keyless start makes it a lot easier for thieves to steal your car, making the car a lot less secure.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

mrtailorson_
Astra Model: CDTI 1.6 (136 PS)
Astra Options: Enjoy (a.k.a not much)
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by mrtailorson_ » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:02 pm

i absolutely detest Auto Stop-Start!

it is especially laughable on a diesel engine. it surely takes longer to crank up a diesel engine than a benzin one. it is also jerkier than -say- a 1.4 L benzinmotor.

it doesn't make any sense in a congested city like istanbul where you come to a halt often and these last less than 5 seconds. oh, the horror! stop start stop start stop start stop start...surely it is going to save me some fuel and save the environment without any wear and tear(!)

also my garage has quite a steep ramp. i start up my car, reach the garage door, stop for waiting the door open...and shit! forgot to disable Auto Stop-Start! now my poor car has to climb it while the engine is not well lubricated. this is especially bad in winters.

i made disabling the Auto Stop-Start into my routine start-up procedure.

maybe Auto Stop-Start would make sense if i were driving on a southern jutland town where it is super flat and the traffic is non-existent only leaving me battling the traffic lights.

thanks @AussieKOwner for this disabler. i'll try to make it work if i can be bothered enough on a sunday :)

Corbil
Astra Model: 1.6 Cdti Innovation 136bhp
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Corbil » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:53 pm

Auto start stop has only the purpose for the car to reduce the Co2 emissions and pass the car to a lower level of pollution.
Also helps the dealer to be reacher by changing the very expensive battery that costs around 300€ more frequently.
I personally the first thing that I do after ignition is to take it off. It has become a way of life.

Mark74
Astra Model: Sri VX-LIne 1.6T 200
Astra Options: Sri VX-Line Nav
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Mark74 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:06 pm

I was thinking about this the other day, about the stop start thing. With owning Turbo cars most my life I have always been told you should let the turbo cool down before turning the engine off. So now with my new car I am no longer going to be able to do this, as it's going to turn off every time I stop the car. Will this not damage the turbo more this way?
2018 Astra Sri 1.6T 200 VX-Line Nav (Lava Red)