Rear Wiper Replacement

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Tankie96
Astra Model: ST Dynamic (SRI) 1.4t 150 ps. 2016
Astra Options: Power tailgate,AGR seats,winter pack,navi
Astra Colour: Coconuss braun

Re: Rear Wiper Replacement

Post by Tankie96 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:16 pm

Same here, fitted the H311 just now. €6 and it has a bigger swept area. Very pleased.

Finston Pickle
Astra Model: 1.6 Petrol Turbo SRI Nav Sports tourer
Astra Options: AGR seats;Wntr Pk;Sp Whl;S/Rf;Tints;CD plyr;P/Sens
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Finston Pickle » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:33 pm

I got my H311 and good to go - 12 inch scales well on my Astra K ST rear screen, even though the original was 10 inch.

What the heck! Can't lift the blade away from thr rear screen - what has the designer chappie been up to?

What is the trick - brute force, or a trip to Halfords?

Puzzled - never seen this before on any car!
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

jt123
Astra Model: SRi 1.6 CDTI BiTurbo
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Post by jt123 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:52 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:33 pm
I got my H311 and good to go - 12 inch scales well on my Astra K ST rear screen, even though the original was 10 inch.

What the heck! Can't lift the blade away from thr rear screen - what has the designer chappie been up to?

What is the trick - brute force, or a trip to Halfords?

Puzzled - never seen this before on any car!
You can, just pull it a bit further. Be brave :)

Finston Pickle
Astra Model: 1.6 Petrol Turbo SRI Nav Sports tourer
Astra Options: AGR seats;Wntr Pk;Sp Whl;S/Rf;Tints;CD plyr;P/Sens
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Finston Pickle » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:15 pm

Sorry, but there is a full foul between the spring end and the pivot in the arm. The only solution seems to be to disconnect the spring at the pivot - but could I put it back on again?

I would not like to crack the rear screen or bend the wiper arm, so that is the end of things for me. I guess I will get VX to fit the new blade at the next service
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

morgoth
Astra Model: Innovation 1.4 T 150hp
Astra Colour: Summit white

Post by morgoth » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:53 pm

You can just remove the plastic cover and unscrew the entire wiper arm, thats what I did since mine also doesn't lift high enough despite what other people here say.

jt123
Astra Model: SRi 1.6 CDTI BiTurbo
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Post by jt123 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:45 pm

It pulls up a little, feels like it doesn't want to go further - but it does. Watch this video

nsanderson
Astra Model: 1.6T SRi 200 Nav
Astra Options: AGR seat, winter pack,parking sensors, spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by nsanderson » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:21 am

Finston Pickle wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:15 pm
Sorry, but there is a full foul between the spring end and the pivot in the arm. The only solution seems to be to disconnect the spring at the pivot - but could I put it back on again?

I would not like to crack the rear screen or bend the wiper arm, so that is the end of things for me. I guess I will get VX to fit the new blade at the next service
Just pull it harder (oo-er)!

You can actually change the rear wiper without having to lift the arm all the way up anyway. Just remember to put the arm gently back onto the rear screen while you're disposing of the old one and picking up the new one.
1.6T (200) SRi Nav - Power Red, AGR seat, winter pack, parking sensors, spare wheel,

danx55
Astra Model: 1.4.t 150 sri nav
Astra Options: sport mode ;)
Astra Colour: power red..i think

Post by danx55 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:51 am

hi guys,
hope you are all keeping well

...so im trying to replace the rear wiper as per thread .... the rear arm on mine doenst seem to lift more than approx 45 degrees from screen, so cant rotate the wiper enough to get a clean action on the blade ....had to break the old one to get it off
.....now struggling to force new blade on :/

should the wiper arm go higher than the initial stop point? ... feels like it might break if i force it further :/

thanks
dan

gse24f

Post by gse24f » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:01 am

I thought that I would break the wiper arm before it would lift. Watched you tube video placed hands accordingly and jerked hard. Loud crack and wiper lifted changed blade to H311 on sports tourer works well. Normally lift rear wiper when washing car still needs a quick jerk to get it off screen.

nsanderson
Astra Model: 1.6T SRi 200 Nav
Astra Options: AGR seat, winter pack,parking sensors, spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by nsanderson » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:36 am

danx55 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:51 am
should the wiper arm go higher than the initial stop point? ... feels like it might break if i force it further :/

thanks
dan
Hi Dan,

As has been said, the arm will go higher even though it feels like it won't. I have found though that you don't need to pull it all the way up:

1) Raise the arm as much as you dare with one hand
2) Using your more dexterous other hand, push on the two squares on either side of the blade/arm and pull the blade out.
3) Place the wiper arm VERY GENTLY onto the rear screen.
4) Throw away old blade, lift the arm again and slide new one (recommend H311) into the arm so the two squares lock into place.

It's certainly a lot easier than trying to change the blade on my old MK4 SRi where the spoiler was in the way of the rear arm!
1.6T (200) SRi Nav - Power Red, AGR seat, winter pack, parking sensors, spare wheel,