Topic: Why fuel injector cleaners will not work on gdi engines

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Re: Topic: Why fuel injector cleaners will not work on gdi engines

Post by Redman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:01 am

I think these pistons, as you say, will have come from damaged engines of some description, possibly lspi at that. I presume engines are more saleable as whole units.

I was just trying to show it isn't just the back of the inlet valves that get carbon on them and the petrol cleaning agents might help reduce the above carbon on the piston. Hence there still may be cause for using injector cleaning agents.

I personally have always used shell vpower from new on my astra, in the hope it will have reduced the amount of carbon in the fuel injectors and on the piston tops. May be all placebo effect.

Crosseyxpower
Astra Model: Sri nav
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Crosseyxpower » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:12 am

Redman wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:01 am
I think these pistons, as you say, will have come from damaged engines of some description, possibly lspi at that. I presume engines are more saleable as whole units.

I was just trying to show it isn't just the back of the inlet valves that get carbon on them and the petrol cleaning agents might help reduce the above carbon on the piston. Hence there still may be cause for using injector cleaning agents.

I personally have always used shell vpower from new on my astra, in the hope it will have reduced the amount of carbon in the fuel injectors and on the piston tops. May be all placebo effect.
Yeah no worries Redman, was just giving a different take on the issue as all replies are valid as none of us have a definitive answer👍👍

Alanw
Astra Model: Sports tourer 1.6t
Astra Options: Ergonomic seats,mudflaps,spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power red

Post by Alanw » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:26 pm

It would be very interesting to see the stems of the inlet valves on an engine with a few miles under its belt.i have a little nagging concern over how much deposit will be left.i don’t really know if these engines will be susceptible.does anyone have any knowledge of this ?
Power red 1.6t 200 sri nav. sports tourer, agr seats, spare wheel,mudflaps.

stc954
Astra Model: K Elite Turbo 2017
Astra Colour: Grey

Post by stc954 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:18 am

Alanw wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:26 pm
It would be very interesting to see the stems of the inlet valves on an engine with a few miles under its belt.i have a little nagging concern over how much deposit will be left.i don’t really know if these engines will be susceptible.does anyone have any knowledge of this ?
My car is 2 years old, when the major service comes up. I will be putting a camera down the spark plug hole and keep you updated with what I see. It only has done roughly 13500 miles.

Alanw
Astra Model: Sports tourer 1.6t
Astra Options: Ergonomic seats,mudflaps,spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power red

Post by Alanw » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:49 am

Hi stc954, mine has the same mileage as yours but putting a camera through the plug hole will only show the piston top,THE Achilles heel of modern di engines is coking up of the inlet tract and the inlet valve stems.this could only be seen through the inlet manifold.All piston tops will show some carbon depositing.
Power red 1.6t 200 sri nav. sports tourer, agr seats, spare wheel,mudflaps.

Return to “Main Astra K chat”