Automatic gearbox "problem"

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
-dominic-

Automatic gearbox "problem"

Post by -dominic- » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:58 am

Hy, I am new here, sorry if the english is bad. I thing i might have a problem with automatic gearbox on my 1.4 turbo astra, but I am not sure.
When it is cold, for first 1-2km of driving converter in gearbox isn't lockt, it is slipping. Here is link to video, is this normal, or not?

Thanks.

Pug50
Astra Model: Elite ST 1.4T Auto

Re: Automatic gearbox "problem"

Post by Pug50 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:26 pm

I'm not sure from the short video; were you fully releasing and then (gently) reapplying the accelerator during the video? I've not looked closely at the rev counter on mine when cold. I'll try to take a look and update you.

Torque converters are designed to "slip", and include a lockup clutch to stop them slipping when driving at a constant speed. The pressure in the torque converter is electronically controlled, and it probably won't use the lockup clutch at all until the gearbox is warm.

I don't think you need to worry, especially if it is firm when it warms up and it doesn't "flare"/"rev" during changes.

-dominic-

Post by -dominic- » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:00 am

Here is better one

LunD^dk

Post by LunD^dk » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:10 am

I'm not sure what you mean and I also doesn't get much from the video.
But I can say that my automatic also acts different when cold. It goes higher rpm before changing and generally hold on in gears before switching.

Think i read in the manual that it's a thing that eases on the box when cold.

Pug50
Astra Model: Elite ST 1.4T Auto

Post by Pug50 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:56 pm

My car acts the same when it's very cold. If you have no other problems, I'd say you don't need to worry.

As has been said, the gearbox acts differently to help get the engine up to temperature faster. In the same way, softening the torque converter might help warm up the gearbox faster and also reduce wear on the shifting clutches while they are very cold.

kjns
Astra Model: ST 1.4T 150hp AT
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by kjns » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:09 am

-dominic- wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:58 am
Hy, I am new here, sorry if the english is bad. I thing i might have a problem with automatic gearbox on my 1.4 turbo astra, but I am not sure.
When it is cold, for first 1-2km of driving converter in gearbox isn't lockt, it is slipping. Here is link to video, is this normal, or not?
What kind of outside temperatures are you talking about?
I live in Finland, and as you may know, it's quite cold here in winter time. I have noticed that the car will start to leave the gear "unlocked" on lower speeds around the time when temperature drops below +10 C. This is completely normal behavior for AT gearboxes, and is done to warm the gearbox faster and to avoid damage to cold gearbox.

When the engine and gearbox have warmed up it will again start to lock even on low speeds. As someone pointed out, you may be able to get it to lock sooner if you lift your gas pedal briefly after acceleration to indicate to the gearbox that you have reached your desired cruising speed.

880PEL
Astra Model: OPC-line 1,6T Automatic

Post by 880PEL » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:44 am

What´s the outside temperature in original poster´s video?
This rpm float looks too much for me. It shouldn´t float whole 1000rpm.
Just checked that 6T45 gearbox at 4 degrees starts locking up in 2nd and 3rd gear instantly.

Does gearbox work perfect when operation temp is reached?
If it was an oldschool AW03-71, then I´d check trans fluid level for beginning...

lhb
Astra Model: ST 1.4T AT6 Innovation

Post by lhb » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:06 pm

Will say it is normal. Mine does the same until oil warm up is over in winter time
1.4T have 6T35

-dominic-

Post by -dominic- » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:52 am

Ok, that is all i wanted to know is it normal for astra. Not every HD transmition is the same, one guy told me it is probably normal, but it depends on the transmition. Temperature in video is around 0.

Thank You!

-dominic-

Post by -dominic- » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:08 am

880PEL wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:44 am
This rpm float looks too much for me. It shouldn´t float whole 1000rpm.
It is more like 500rpm when you have a steady gas pedal and speed. This is when I let go gas pedal, and then apply.
I can not tell for shure, but I think when it is over 10 degrees it is fine. The colder it takes more time, nut never more than cca 2 km even if it is -7 outside.

Return to “Main Astra K chat”