Sports button

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: Sports button

Post by astraowner » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:53 am

Pompeydave wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:40 pm
Different countries = different specs .
I bet our elite owners wonder why it wasn't an option over here. In simple I suppose Sri is sporty model and elite is the luxury model.
Agreed and since most features today are little more than software, it is really easy to configure these features.

To add the Sport button all you need is probably a sport button panel and a bit flipped inside the ECU.

Does the sport button actually increase boost pressure and thus horsepower or is it just like in my Zafira where the sport button just changed how much pedal travel was needed for a certain speed.

If i drove it with the pedal at a fixed position and a fixed RPM and pressed the sport button it would increase the RPM for that pedal position but it did not add any boost pressure.

I know this because i tried measuring 0-60 times with and without and there were no difference.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Callum15920
Astra Model: 1.4 Turbo Elite 150Bhp
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Callum15920 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:51 am

Thanks guys explains alot, although is there any power difference in the Sri and elite ?

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by Pompeydave » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:34 am

Sport button on the k just sharpens up the throttle response but progress can be made a lot quicker due to this.No increase in Hp but pedal is far more responsive. Elite / Sri same power.

Jamboseven
Astra Model: 2018 1.4T SRI VX Line Nav

Post by Jamboseven » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:28 am

Agree, the SRI is the 'sporty' one but where does that leave us SRI nav VX line?
I prefer the bumpers on my VX but no front fog option?

I remember seeing an article saying that the Vauxhall VX was an Opel GSI, how true that is I don't know

Pompeydave

Post by Pompeydave » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:29 pm

Jamboseven wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:28 am
Agree, the SRI is the 'sporty' one but where does that leave us SRI nav VX line?
I prefer the bumpers on my VX but no front fog option?

I remember seeing an article saying that the Vauxhall VX was an Opel GSI, how true that is I don't know
Yeah the lack of foglights lets the front down a bit , huge spaces either side make it look like a bog standard Astra , and no option for fogs either ! But the back looks good lol.

kh824532
Astra Model: 1.6T Elite Nav (2018)
Astra Colour: Mineral Black

Post by kh824532 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:24 pm

I was wondering if anyone had fitted a Sport button mod to an Elite. Presumably it is just a bit of code in the ECU, and presumably some code that is probably in the Elite's ECU anyway.

I'd be more interested in the changes to the steering weight that the Sport mode is supposed to also give. With the 1.6 I'm not really after more power, but the lack of steering feel is probably the worst attribute of the car. The car seems to grip and handle well, but without steering feedback it's wasted. (To be fair, on balance I'd take the Elite's leather seats over the SRi's sport button if it's one or the other!)
1.6T Elite Nav (2018)

JJ-Yorks
Astra Model: 5-door SRi 1.0Turbo
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by JJ-Yorks » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:49 pm

The elite runs a slightly more aggressive throttle response straight from the factory. The Sri feels more flat until sports mode is selected
1.0Turbo Power Red (130PS/225Nm Torque :D )

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:38 pm

kh824532 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:24 pm
I was wondering if anyone had fitted a Sport button mod to an Elite. Presumably it is just a bit of code in the ECU, and presumably some code that is probably in the Elite's ECU anyway.

I'd be more interested in the changes to the steering weight that the Sport mode is supposed to also give. With the 1.6 I'm not really after more power, but the lack of steering feel is probably the worst attribute of the car. The car seems to grip and handle well, but without steering feedback it's wasted. (To be fair, on balance I'd take the Elite's leather seats over the SRi's sport button if it's one or the other!)
The code to do this is probably in the ECU code.

The only problem is that the firmware is encrypted and to unlock a feature you need a VCI key.

Without this key, the ECU will not accept activation of the function.

See this key as kind of an activation key for some software on your computer.

The VCI key is different for every car and function, and is most likely calculated, using some secret formula that uses an asymmetric algorithm.

This means that you need to know the formula used, the encryption key used, then you seed it, probably with the VIN of the car, and then you get a key that needs to be programmed into the ECU for the car to accept this function being active.

The asyncronous algorithm makes it so that you can not get the encryption keys, even if you extract the decryption keys from the ECU.

The reason they do this, as opposed to the "old days" where you got a Carpass card with a pincode, is that most features today are mostly software.

If people were able to enable these functions, it would be possible to buy the basic model of the car and then just activate all of the functions in software.

So basically, unless someone thoroughly hacks the VCI coding system, you will always need the help of Vauxhall to enable these features, and they will either charge you a pretty penny for their trouble OR the server that generates the VCI codes will simply refuse to give out codes for functions, vauxhall thinks that you should not have.

For example...I can go to vauxhall and have them enable the reverse camera function on my Astra, and retrofit a reversing camera.

But according to the salesman there, if i had had a new insignia, i could not have it retrofitted...Vauxhall has decided that they will not release the VCI codes and that if you want a reversing camera you should have bought a car that had it factory fitted.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

greengreg
Astra Model: 1.4T SRI
Astra Options: Adv park assist/AGR/ Rear camera/blindspot alert
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by greengreg » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:48 am

Pompeydave wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:34 am
Sport button on the k just sharpens up the throttle response but progress can be made a lot quicker due to this.No increase in Hp but pedal is far more responsive. Elite / Sri same power.
For me the steering feels better in sports mde :D

Pompeydave

Post by Pompeydave » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:53 am

Havnt really noticed much change in the steering greengreg but admittedly used it most on motorway , will have to do a more thorough test sometime including how mpg is affected.

Return to “Main Astra K chat”