Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Retrofit rear USB sockets

20K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  Vellum21 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

is it possible to retrofit the rear USB sockets?

My 2018 1.4T VX line only has a single usb point in the arm rest and if my son is in the car he can't plug his tablet or DVD player in without running a cable through to the 12V connection next to the gear stick.
It's all just a bit untidy and a faf with the cable across the seat etc,
Plus I found out the centre console connection is ok for connecting to apple car play but it's got no power to charge his tablet.

I've read the topic on here about upgrading the arm rest socket to a double but didn't the Elite's initially come with a double USB charge point on the back of the centre console? The centre consul has a mould line on the rear face of it making me think it can be cut/unclipped.

Thanks in advance

Simon

#5 ·
AdieMcc said:
I needed a new trim piece with hole in. Just pulls off towards the back seats.
Double usb socket and trim piece from Vauxhall yes
This part had 2 buttons for the rear heated seats as well, right ?

Like this :

#7 ·
AdieMcc said:
Mine just had USB port
Ok, so this part is available with USB ports and no buttons.

Do you have the part number for this ?

Also, is yours with or without the armrest, as it seems that this part is different for the 2 options.

#9 ·
Thanks a lot for that.

If i were to guess i would say that, what you have there is from a scrapped car as it seems the wires have been cut.

Also it is clear that the 12V to 5V converter is part of the socket unit, so all one would need is that trim piece and the USB power socket.

I wonder how many millions vauxhall wants for those parts :)

#12 ·
AdieMcc said:
I got the trim and usb socket from Vauxhall. Then added the wires witch connect to the cig lighter. Think it was around £50
£50, was that including the part with the USB sockets ?

Seems unusually cheap for vauxhall :D

#15 ·
You'll need a little black connector to go in the back of the port and little crocodile clips what you connect the wires to. Sorry can't remember what there called.

#16 ·
AdieMcc said:
You'll need a little black connector to go in the back of the port and little crocodile clips what you connect the wires to. Sorry can't remember what there called.
I can probably just use som SIL or DIL sockets

Something like this in 1 or 2 rows i guess.

It just needs to fit snugly over the pins and then i can just heat-glue it to stay in place.

#17 ·
AdieMcc said:
I can probably just use som SIL or DIL sockets

Something like this in 1 or 2 rows i guess.

It just needs to fit snugly over the pins and then i can just heat-glue it to stay in place.

These are probably the crocodile ones you talked about and if it is, i am not going to use those, you risk making a bad connection with these which is not a good idea.

https://www.bilgalleri.dk/forum/storbilledevisning/1163412-stroemtyv

#19 ·
Can't remember what there called. I got all the info off cornishtaz, he's not on here anymore. The connectors where all metal, you have to clamp the wire to one side and then push the other on the pin. Sorry I'm not to clued up on it now coz it's been a while since I done it. Sure there was a how to on here but couldn't see it the other day. The black connector came in 2 parts and I just used 1 of them

#20 ·
Looking online I think I've found what I used. The black box connector on the right and them silver connectors. They only fit in certain holes in the box so look at the picture what I put up. Mine was a 12 port one I think

Attachments

#22 ·
StigK said:
Hi @Astraowner

Did you ever find a Opel/Vauxhall sparepart number for the USB and trim? 😃&#x1f64f-1f3fc;
No i forgot about this and have not done anything yet.

Before i found out this could be done i had bought a 3 port USB cable that connects to the cigarette outlet in the back.

We only really use those chargeports in the back when going on holiday with 3 kids with tablets and whatnot on the back seat.

I also found a 2 port cigarette lighter outlet that is so small that if fit in the front cigarette lighter with the lid closed when not in use, and i changed the USB/AUX port inside the armrest from my 2016 version with one 500mA port and one AUX, to a later version that has 2 USB ports, that can deliver 1500mA and an AUX port. (Not that i ever use the AUX port though :) )

There is also one small drawback with this USB rear seat arragement. I have 3 kids, and this means that there is a passenger in the centre seat, and this means that the USB connectors would risk getting kicked, bent and/or broken by this passenger.

#24 ·
Bogbody said:
As I have discovered not all the 2 x USB plus aux are equal. The one I bought has 2 usb, both work independently but dont charge at 1500mA, only at just over 500mA. Enough to charge an S7 and run AA..... :)
I have not tried running both ports at the same time on mine, but i did test that it did supply 1500mAh on both ports independently.

The only time i have had both ports running was when i had my phone on AA and a USB-Wifi harddrive with movies for the kids

This was not a problem.

#26 ·
Now that is very handy. Item 2 on my car is broken (the latch clip has been snapped off before I bought the car). Annoying to see tho that you can only buy the complete assembly with lid.
Bet that costs a bit! :)
How much to Vauxhall charge for the rear cover? It might be worth re-fitting the old single usb socket just to enable a charge station?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.